Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853785 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #705 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »
So Joe is apparently not

a) a plumber
b) earning the kinds of money he claimed
c) not named Joe!

???

He's not not named Joe?

Joe is his middle name.

It's funny, I was driving to Cincinnati this weekend and accidentally picked up Rush Limbaugh and he was talking about how Joe was the guy's middle name.  He then went on to say that this isn't a big deal because some people aren't afraid to reveal their middle names, unlike Barack Hussein Obama.  And then he went on and on about how McCain killed at that roast dinner and Obama just seemed bitter the whole time.  Of course seeing the video of it today, Obama was laughing plenty and seemed to have done just as well as McCain.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #706 on: October 18, 2008, 06:47:16 PM »
So Joe is apparently not

a) a plumber
b) earning the kinds of money he claimed
c) not named Joe!

???

He's not not named Joe?

Joe is his middle name.

It's funny, I was driving to Cincinnati this weekend and accidentally picked up Rush Limbaugh and he was talking about how Joe was the guy's middle name.  He then went on to say that this isn't a big deal because some people aren't afraid to reveal their middle names, unlike Barack Hussein Obama.  And then he went on and on about how McCain killed at that roast dinner and Obama just seemed bitter the whole time.  Of course seeing the video of it today, Obama was laughing plenty and seemed to have done just as well as McCain.

I thought Obama's "John McCain is older than Bea Arthur's dick" joke was over the line.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #707 on: October 18, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
I have to confess, every time something like this comes out of Ohio ppl in Indiana breathe a sigh of relief.  Not that we don't have nutjobs aplenty.

At this point, I hope that Ohio goes to McCain and it doesn't make any goddamn difference.  I'm sick of every election hanging on such an emo state.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #708 on: October 18, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
If Obama takes Ohio and he wins the election, can we get the credit for the victory since we've had to take the blame for Bush's victory?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

<<<<<

« Reply #709 on: October 18, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
Yes.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #710 on: October 18, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
I thought Obama's "John McCain is older than Bea Arthur's dick" joke was over the line.

I love it, Junk. Picture me spewing a mouthful of martini like at a Dean Martin Roast. No, don't. On second thought, just picture me laughing.

Boy, am I tired of guys like that talk show dude saying McCain killed and Obama wasn't funny and seemed bitter. Now that's the definition of humorless politics. They were both funny at various moments. Also, does anyone else think J. the P. sounds like he's listened to WAAAAYYYY too much talk radio?

Mo Udall was kinda funny in his day, which is long before I was born. He probably wouldn't be considered funny now. He was kind of McCain's mentor in politics actually. Now his kids are running for/in the US Senate. Why can't we have more guys like him?

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #711 on: October 19, 2008, 12:21:31 AM »
So Sarah Palin was on SNL. I know there's an SNL thread, but I thought this one had a more appropriate title.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #712 on: October 19, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »
So Sarah Palin was on SNL. I know there's an SNL thread, but I thought this one had a more appropriate title.

All it managed to do was remind me that 30 Rock isn't on for another 2 weeks. Ridiculous.

Although I chuckled when Marky Mark showed up.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #713 on: October 19, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »

yesno

• Space Champion!

<<<<<

« Reply #715 on: October 19, 2008, 05:01:06 AM »
Not really sure what Palin proved by doing this.  Alec Baldwin basically echoed my sentiments (which was amusing) up until the point where he starts kissing her butt.   :D

Sarah

« Reply #716 on: October 19, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »
She's trying to prove she's a good sport who can take a joke at her expense.  I believe the hope is that, if people believe this, they will forgive her for championing ignorance and mongering hate.

I hate to say it, but I'm really worried about Maine.  A few weeks ago, I had faith in this surprisingly Democratic state, but I had forgotten the deep streak of racism that flows within the average Mainer.  I had forgotten the numerous arguments I've had with young white men here who complain about people of various hues taking their jobs--a particularly jaw-droppingly stupid claim given that there are only about seven blacks and Hispanics in the state.  I had forgotten that when Jesse Jackson won here it was semimeaningless, since caucuses attract only the most active Democrats.  Now I'm hearing that McCain-Palin signs are everywhere.  Worse, when someone is asked what s/he thinks of Obama, the response all too often is, "Oh, he seems like a nice guy, but . . ."  Mostly no one dares complete the sentence, but its conclusion is clear. 

If Obama loses (and more and more I'm thinking he will), anyone who attributes this to anything but race (or "cultural differences," as the code now goes) is naive, dumb, or a big fat liar.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #717 on: October 19, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »

If Obama loses (and more and more I'm thinking he will)

why do u say this?

Sarah

« Reply #718 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:50 AM »
Because I have a low opinion of the human race, my dear.  I think McCain/Palin's hate campaign is going to scare some people enough to vote for them.  I think when it comes down to it a lot of assholes are not going to vote for Obama because of his skin.  And I think that in the grand tradition begun in 2000 (well, earlier, but that was such a biggie) the Republicans are going to steal the election regardless of how we vote.

<<<<<

« Reply #719 on: October 19, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
I'm hoping that the lazy and guilt/fear-ridden racists will simply stay home.  If McCain cannot adequately inspire or infuriate enough people (which I don't really think he can), this is somewhat more likely.