Author Topic: Best Show References in other things  (Read 10957 times)

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Best Show References in other things
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »
Post Best Show references you find in non-Best Show places.

Just saw this a few minutes ago.
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/oscar_o_meter_the_a_v_clubs/3
W.
Premise: An ignorant hillbilly (James Brolin) with an incongruously aristocratic bloodline fucks around for 40 years with the aid of mountains of cocaine, gallons of booze, and enough loose women to stock a Texas whorehouse. Then he discovers Jesus, buys a baseball team, becomes governor of Texas, and kills a bunch of people through capital punishment. Then, in a far-fetched, credibility-straining plot twist, this funny-talking, semi-literate yahoo becomes a two-term President Of The United States and nearly destroys the world in the process. This sounds like the premise for a zany farce like President Baseball—albeit with a lot less baseball—but director Oliver Stone swears it's based on a true story. Like anybody should trust that crackpot.

AllisonLeGnome

Re: Best Show References in other things
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:05:31 AM »
I was just looking for the thread where AV Club S&W references were pointed out to post this very same thing.

redsplitwig

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
Paul F. Tomkins used the word "terlet" on Best Week Ever last Friday.  Does that count?

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!

redsplitwig

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »
Thank you for correcting my spelling error so politely.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Thank you for correcting my spelling error so politely.

I just think Tomkins sounds like an adorable elf, but I mean no insult! One time I called Kyle Gass "Kyle GLASS" on the air, so believe me I throw no stones about spelling comedians names.

Itslikeimsayin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »
Paul F. Tomkins used the word "terlet" on Best Week Ever last Friday.  Does that count?

Yes, especially because of how strenuously he objected at the word when Tom originally proposed it.

perry

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »
i might be confused, but i think he may have also said it on one of the root of all evil episodes he was on...though it's possible i'm thinking of the best week ever.

TheShamblers

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
I remember seeing an episode of an obsessive-compulsive detective show with a character named John Wurster in it.  Don't know if that counts for the topic, or if it's fair game for that matter, but it had the Mrs. and I both going "hey, I know someone with that name..."

Check it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0650608/

christine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
This one's actually pre-Best Show and therefore doesn't count at all, but I'm throwing it in anyway:
That Mr. Show sketch about the detached siamese twins; Bob reveals he's getting reattached, not to his brother, but to "Jon Wurster in marketing."

Martin

• Space Champion!

Stan

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
I was just listening to Word Balloon a comic interview podcast and they have Brian Michael Bendis on as a guest, he was fielding questions from his website and someone wrote in about Tom wanting to write for Marvel. It was dicsussed for a couple minutes (I think this was in part 3 of 4 if you want to find it).

redsplitwig

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
I was just listening to Word Balloon a comic interview podcast and they have Brian Michael Bendis on as a guest, he was fielding questions from his website and someone wrote in about Tom wanting to write for Marvel. It was dicsussed for a couple minutes (I think this was in part 3 of 4 if you want to find it).

I asked that question.  I wrote about it a bit in the comic book thread in general discussion.

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
Nice work!