Author Topic: Good web-based video chat program?  (Read 1905 times)

Beth

• Space Champion!
Good web-based video chat program?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
I've know there are several. We have i-chat, but I've heard that there's one superior to i-chat that's also free. I just can't remember its name. This would be for quick video "hello!"s while my boyfriend is on tour. Any recommendations?

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Good web-based video chat program?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
Skype?

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
I know it wasn't skype. Sorry to be so vague, but if anyone knows of any others,  lay 'em on me.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »
but I've heard that there's one superior

iChat has video and audio and it's free - just curious, what other options are you seeking?

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:56 PM »
I had a conversation with someone a while ago who was telling me there was a web based one that was better quality, better speed. That's it. I'll take i-chat, but if there's something different and better, I'd be interested in that.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Because of a whole host of difficulties with the conventional methods (it seems like iChat won't work if two people have a huge bandwidth difference between them, and Skype doesn't support video with more than two people), I've been on the hunt for an alternate video chat solution. I tried a web-based one that was terrible and ended up with a program called Oovoo that worked pretty well for video chatting between three people (the person with low bandwidth couldn't see much but that's to be expected). I was just wondering if anyone had any better suggestions?

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
I think we have the same problem, because of the bandwidth difference, with ichat. We have satellite at home, but he was trying to connect to me over cable modems. We kept trying but it wouldn't work. I downloaded Oovoo as well, but haven't tried it yet. But you give me some hope, Allison. As for other programs besides, I haven't found much else.