Author Topic: I mean, how can they really check on this?  (Read 3966 times)

Beth

• Space Champion!
I mean, how can they really check on this?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:31:48 PM »
If I were engaged I'd say "sure!"  and then not abstain. How would they know? Do they install bedroom cams?

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/news/stories/2008/10/23/weddinggift.html

The whole thing is  creepy.

erika

• Space Champion!
Re: I mean, how can they really check on this?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
Chastity belts?
from the land of pleasant living

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Yet in a recent interview, Faust seemed inclined to relax the rules, saying couples engaging in sex can still qualify but they must acknowledge, “The right choice is probably not to have had done it.”

Sounds easy enough.  Too bad I'd have to move to Georgia (and get engaged...).

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
I like that it's an essay contest. How cute (in a weird, elementary school sort of way) is that.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
Yet in a recent interview, Faust seemed inclined to relax the rules, saying couples engaging in sex can still qualify but they must acknowledge, “The right choice is probably not to have had done it.”

Sounds easy enough.  Too bad I'd have to move to Georgia (and get engaged...).

And not serve booze at your wedding reception. That's almost a bigger obstacle than the no sex part. But I'm pretty sure that you could loophole that by just making it BYOB.

If anyone's down to move to Georgia and pretend to get married, we could split to money 50/50

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
I've always wanted to go to Georgia.

(Not really)

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »
I've always wanted to go to Georgia.

(Not really)

Way to get my hopes up and then smash them into a million pieces, Martin. You are cold. COLD.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
For three and a half years, I lived half an hour south of Georgia.
In that time, I just went there twice - once to see a concert in Atlanta, once to buy 40's, which aren't sold in Florida. Fact.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »
I wouldn't drive across the south.

I'm scared to even fly in a plane over the southern United States.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »

It's not so bad, TE. There's horrible racists in all sectors of the US of A, and there's also good people in all those same sectors.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 01:23:15 AM »

> What: Marriage for a Lifetime wedding essay contest

> Requirements: Bride and groom must agree to undergo premarital education. Must agree not to serve alcohol at reception. Couple either agrees not to have premarital sex or at least acknowledge it’s preferable not to. At least one of the couple must live in DeKalb, Newton or Rockdale counties.

How can you be having premarital sex, acknowledge its preferable not to, and then go on to have a successful marriage? 

The prize for this contest should be a gun to shoot yourself with.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 01:29:30 AM »
40's, which aren't sold in Florida. Fact.

I find this astonishing.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

It's not so bad, TE. There's horrible racists in all sectors of the US of A, and there's also good people in all those same sectors.

Who said anything about racists?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 02:11:53 AM »

Who said anything about racists?

TE just has a severe phobia of biscuits and grits.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 07:05:44 AM »

I'm scared to even fly in a plane over the southern United States.

I drove across the South (from Virginia through Georgia all the way on to New Orleans and Texas) on a foolhardy postgraduate cross-country trip from Boston to LA.  The southern stretch was enlightening and depressing at the same time.   I had a prejudice much like Tom's understanding of the South of Klan meetings, cross burnings and a lot of folks who were still fighting the Civil War in their heads who would give a Yankee like me a bad reception.  I found a lot of the south delightful though, full of friendly people and particularly beautiful countryside.  The worst reaction I got was from a cashier at a Cajun restaurant who didn't appreciate my East Coast motormouth ordering. 

There was a lot of some ugliness as well, with an Alabama rest stop dedicated with an overly large and prominent plaque of George Wallace (to whose nose I stuck my chewing gum).  Alabama was also the first and only place I was called "suh" by a deferential black man in a way that made me think of the paternalistic scenes from In the Heat of the Night, an incident that still makes me uncomfortable.  While the South is still not Martin Luther King's dream, it has a lot of redeeming aspects that are worth experiencing.

And although the abstinence part is alarming enough (I did the long distance thing with my girlfriend that I met at college for a while and the stretches were difficult but not a deal breaker).  I agree with Beth though, the real thing that appalls me is the dry wedding reception.  Now I've been to a few receptions where folks have made asses of themselves because of alcohol, but since my girlfriend and I seem to know a few people who are or happened to marry conservative nutjobs, we've also been to a couple of dry receptions that are by far less enjoyable overall than the few that are spoiled by drunkenness.  I rarely go on anti-right wing rants, but nights full of fruit punch and the stupid Electric Slide leave me angrily asking my girlfriend if these people are fundamentalists, why do they conveniently forget Jesus Christ's first miracle?