Author Topic: The Joy Thread  (Read 18450 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: The Joy Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
And we still have December ahead of us where they could close things out the only way that makes sense, with the announcement that jetpack technology has been perfected. Now is the time.

YES WE CAN!!!

I still want my hover board though.

Sarah

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
Remember this?

I've had a printout of this on my wall since 2004.  I wish the Mirror would print a companion piece to tack up alongside it.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
looking at some (most) of the comments on the local news sites, it appears not everyone is overjoyed that the best candidate won. it's almost as if people have gotten creepier/more irrational/more racist overnight. people were literally saying that this is one of the worst days in american history. really? i don't doubt that president obama (feels good saying that) will try his best to reach out to those folks in the hopes of bringing everyone into the fold, but it seems like you can never satisfy some people. they were either entirely apathetic and/or happy to wallow in the fear and misery of the last eight years - and all too willing to vote in another 4 years of that nonsense - so i don't know what anyone can do to get them to take the blinders off and see that this is a good thing - for everyone. people have to come together, in some respect, if this change thing is going to work.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
looking at some (most) of the comments on the local news sites, it appears not everyone is overjoyed that the best candidate won. it's almost as if people have gotten creepier/more irrational/more racist overnight. people were literally saying that this is one of the worst days in american history. really? i don't doubt that president obama (feels good saying that) will try his best to reach out to those folks in the hopes of bringing everyone into the fold, but it seems like you can never satisfy some people. they were either entirely apathetic and/or happy to wallow in the fear and misery of the last eight years - and all too willing to vote in another 4 years of that nonsense - so i don't know what anyone can do to get them to take the blinders off and see that this is a good thing - for everyone. people have to come together, in some respect, if this change thing is going to work.

I say the heck with them
let them be marginalized, I don't feel the need to reach out to crazy irrational people. Sensible people I can form a consensus with--the rest F 'em.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
What's worse is that I have so many friends who don't want anything to do with a candidate if he's not a third party. Someone actually told me there wasn't much difference between McCain and Obama. They said they just "couldn't be happy that Obama was winning" even though they consider themselves liberals. Because he's too corrupt.

I'm all about third parties but that's just not how the country works right now. And to let your disappointment in that fact blur your vision so much that you say there is no major difference between McCain and Obama is a real shame.

I can't wait to see this man inaugurated... for the first time in my lifetime an election has warmed my heart. All we have right now is hope and even if everything doesn't work out 100% the way we want it to (it never does) we at least have a respectable man for president. I feel like he's one of us, not some elitist pig who went to Harvard because his daddy had friends in high places.
from the land of pleasant living

TheShamblers

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »
I'm so happy.  There were fireworks in my neighborhood moments after the Best Show ended/the election was called, and everyone seems especially nice today.  People are actually smiling.  On the street.  In New York.  What a day!

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
There are people in this town who try to put me down - they say I don't give a damn...

...But the people in this town who try to put me down are the people in this town who could never understand a black man!
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Sarah

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
i don't doubt that president obama (feels good saying that) will try his best to reach out to those folks in the hopes of bringing everyone into the fold, but it seems like you can never satisfy some people. they were either entirely apathetic and/or happy to wallow in the fear and misery of the last eight years - and all too willing to vote in another 4 years of that nonsense - so i don't know what anyone can do to get them to take the blinders off and see that this is a good thing - for everyone. people have to come together, in some respect, if this change thing is going to work.

Well, we'll just have to persuade them by helping to make sure the good things come true.  My sister and I are already composing a list of things we might be able to do to make things better.  A lot of our ideas have to do with local matters, but she also had the idea of trying to start a movement among people who don't really need a tax cut (and a lot of people--even middle-class people--don't) to decline it--much the way one can refuse WFMU swag when making a pledge during the marathon.  Why should Obama have to do all the work?  Why can't we help as well?  After all, "ask not what your country can do for you" and all that.

How's that for fucking hope?

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
Sarah I just heard your call from last night and it felt so good to hear you echo the feeling that for the first time in your life you had hope for an election. Great call. Great feeling.
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
Not just for an election, ma'am.  For a country.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »
Well, we'll just have to persuade them by helping to make sure the good things come true.  My sister and I are already composing a list of things we might be able to do to make things better.  A lot of our ideas have to do with local matters, but she also had the idea of trying to start a movement among people who don't really need a tax cut (and a lot of people--even middle-class people--don't) to decline it--much the way one can refuse WFMU swag when making a pledge during the marathon.  Why should Obama have to do all the work?  Why can't we help as well?  After all, "ask not what your country can do for you" and all that.

How's that for fucking hope?

i like it.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
What's worse is that I have so many friends who don't want anything to do with a candidate if he's not a third party. Someone actually told me there wasn't much difference between McCain and Obama. They said they just "couldn't be happy that Obama was winning" even though they consider themselves liberals. Because he's too corrupt.

I'm all about third parties but that's just not how the country works right now. And to let your disappointment in that fact blur your vision so much that you say there is no major difference between McCain and Obama is a real shame.

I can't wait to see this man inaugurated... for the first time in my lifetime an election has warmed my heart. All we have right now is hope and even if everything doesn't work out 100% the way we want it to (it never does) we at least have a respectable man for president. I feel like he's one of us, not some elitist pig who went to Harvard because his daddy had friends in high places.

I'm one of those people who will remain eternally skeptical of Democrats AND Republicans, but that's no reason not to be happy that the more qualified candidate won the election. John McCain was a good guy who got twisted around by his party and couldn't handle it, while Obama remained cool and collected throughout. And when I heard Obama announced as president (by Jon Stewart!) and saw the tears in Stephen Colbert's eyes, and in the eyes of everyone else around me, I couldn't help but feel good. What our country did last night was remarkable, and Obama ran a remarkable campaign, and I believe that he will be much needed medicine for our ailing country. He inspires people, and if people feel inspired by their president, our country will be a better place. I'm also relieved that Sarah Palin is out the door. At least, I hope she is.

<<<<<

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »

Those people are simply a different type of sheep.  Still sheep though. 

Anyway, I've been there and I'm sure many others have too.  Yeah, I voted for Nader in 2000.  Problem is, you can't have it all at once.  You need to take steps.  Obama is the step.  If they can't see that, then they're only setting themselves up for unending disappointment.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »

Those people are simply a different type of sheep.  Still sheep though. 

Anyway, I've been there and I'm sure many others have too.  Yeah, I voted for Nader in 2000.  Problem is, you can't have it all at once.  You need to take steps.  Obama is the step.  If they can't see that, then they're only setting themselves up for unending disappointment.

Third parties can't work with first past the post elections.  I think I learned that on the first day of political science 101.

<<<<<

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
Some people find fruitless causes romantic.  I'm definitely guilty of it too.  But a part of it has to do with age as well, I think.  As I age, I find myself becoming increasingly interested in what is actually plausible.