Author Topic: This is the official FOT Secret Santa 2008 Thread  (Read 55783 times)

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: This is the official FOT Secret Santa 2008 Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
Merry Christmas everrrryone! I would've taken part in this, but I've just noticed it! I think I have a habit of not taking any notice of stickies, defeating their purpose. Anyways, appy olidays. You're all lovely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayh6og49uDo[/youtube]
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Sarah

« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
Somewhere, TL's father is smiling.  Perhaps through tears.

erechoveraker

« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
Crappy day? Don't let some snow dampen your Christmas spirit! Get out there and turn that snow into a snowman!

o
-0-
 O

Fair enough.

Seemed appropriate.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »
Great work!  I hope that's a didgeridoo and not some kind of bong..

GUESS WHAT FOT!?!!?!

I RECEIVED THE MOST AWESOME GIFT FROM MY SECRET SENORCORAZON!

It's a Best Show listening pack!!

Complete with a Tazo Tea (Itoen), a BOX OF THE MOST DELICIOUS COOKIES EVER, Two admission tickets to visit MoMA/PS1, a PUPPY Calendar and a recipe for cookies (a FOT hand-me-down tradition which began last year from Quimby) and a really nice artful card!

Thank you so much Senorcorazon!

The cookies are from Three Tarts Bakery & Boutique & they are Scrumdiddlyumptious!

Thanks so much - it's a really sweet package!
:-)

I just realized I can take a photo with my computer:

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #274 on: December 24, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »
HOLY SMOKES -

two wicked awesome wind up toys, a fantastic tie with a donkey on it, and 6 cds in a fabulous homemade case with apparently nosferatu(?) on it!  i have listened to the french new wave disc and love love love it.  I am going to borrow a digital camera so I can post pictures of how awesome everything was - so thoughtful and great it brought tears to my eyes! 

Thank you SO much Courtney.

-Best Show For Life!,

Ben

Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »
Yeah that's a Nosferatu print - the red ink I used for the prints smears like a bitch, so sorry 'bout that.

I got my present yesterday from someone in Brooklyn (they didn't include their name!):

Let's Get Rocked!

Thanks! It's close enough to my dream personalized plate that I don't have to get it now and embarrass myself later!!

erechoveraker

« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:53 AM »
Great work!  I hope that's a didgeridoo and not some kind of bong..

Actually, it's supposed to be a straw, you know, for...  I'm awful at snowmanning obviously.

As for Secret Santa business, I opened my box up from AM Thomas a little bit ago, and it's a bunch of super great stuff, including warm mittens my cat wants to eat, and the autographed pic of Tom from the 2006 marathon framed (which I didn't have, but now do, and love a lot already).

I'll get pics in the morning, but I just wanted to say thanks for a bunch of awesome stuff, and you're a way better Secret Santa than me! :)

erechoveraker

« Reply #277 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »
PHOTOGRAPHY!

My Secret Santa got me a ton of cool stuff, including the 2006 premium pic framed (love it), a book (David Lynch - Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness and Creativity) I will have fun reading over the weekend, Hilda LTD. Icelandic Mittens (which I got to give a test run with a mid-xmas-afternoon run to the grocery store, where our car got stuck for like 45 minutes :( but my digits stayed plenty warm! ) with a Best Show pin attached, and the awesome Scharplingized Roadhouse merge on DVD (which I will get all Julied up this weekend and watch with friends - yay!). Awesome haul, and my thanks again, AM Thomas!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #278 on: December 26, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Just in time for Boxing Day I have received a wonderful package.  I'm so glad I got Beth as a Secret Santa and not one of you other dopes!

Old-timey books (19-teens era copies of Treasure Island and The Republic.)

And a fake old-timey book:  Curious Pleasures by  Erasmus St. Jude Croom.  This latter book is rather filthy so I am going to have to run it by Father Bill to see if I can be allowed to keep it.   If not, expect a visit from the postal inspectors.  Shame on you, Beth.

Not to mention a doodle, on whose reverse side is a lovely note, a flower, and TWINE!

Really, Beth, thank you.  Those books are just the kind of thing I'm into. 

Sarah

« Reply #279 on: December 27, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
Package safely received today, erika.  And thank you so much!  As a glutton with an aversion to stuff, I love food presents the most.  These are perfect.

I don't have a digital camera, so a list will have to suffice:

1.  a tin containing two kinds of homemade cookies (what are they, erika?  I detect almond flavoring, and they're very short, but beyond that I can't say)

2. a package of "Maryland Mix" mixed nuts

3.  a jar of Mellow Mango Chutney

4.  a jar of orange marmalade (I love marmalade)

5.  a jar of pumpkin butter

6.  a jar of Triple Crown Preserves (strawberries, raspberries, cherries)

The last four are from a place called Weber's Farm, and they all are made with a minimum of extras (only the chutney has any preservatives in it), just the kind of thing I like to get at my sister's little store.

Also included was a card featuring a painting of a cat who looks very much like one of mine.  I also welcome all the tissue paper--my supply of wrapping paper is small--and the chance to read the funnies, which I haven't looked at for years.

Thank you, thank you, erika.  It is a lovely present, and I will enjoy it to the last bite.  And happy New Year to you, too!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #280 on: December 27, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
Oh yay! Sorry it was a little late - consider it a Secret Chanukah Harry present ;)

Those cookies (I hope they weren't too stale) are a simple butter cookie made with brown and white sugar and I filled some of them with cherry, blackberry, mixed berry and apricot preserves.

Here's the ingredients, baked at 375 for 9-11 minutes:

1.5 sticks unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cups white sugar, 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp almond extract

Weber's Farm was always where we went to get pumpkins as a kid and I'm addicted to that "Triple Crown" preserves I included. It's a nice small farm in what is now the suburbs with a year-long farm store. They celebrated their 100th year anniversary this year and I'm hoping they'll be open for another 100 so I always try to shop there. You can even get your turkeys there at Thanksgiving. Great place.

I'm so glad you liked it. It was fun to put together!!
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »
Well, I was right about the short and the almond parts.  And don't worry:  though they are a teensy bit stale, I'll just freshen them up in the oven.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:04 AM »
PHOTOGRAPHY!

My Secret Santa got me a ton of cool stuff, including the 2006 premium pic framed (love it), a book (David Lynch - Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness and Creativity) I will have fun reading over the weekend, Hilda LTD. Icelandic Mittens (which I got to give a test run with a mid-xmas-afternoon run to the grocery store, where our car got stuck for like 45 minutes :( but my digits stayed plenty warm! ) with a Best Show pin attached, and the awesome Scharplingized Roadhouse merge on DVD (which I will get all Julied up this weekend and watch with friends - yay!). Awesome haul, and my thanks again, AM Thomas!

I loved Catching the Big Fish; that was the greatest coffee break ever.

No, but seriously, I did love it. I read it three times.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #283 on: December 28, 2008, 01:46:22 PM »
Forgive my late appreciation! I was so happy to see that I got Kim Kelly as my Secret Santa because she's:

1) got good taste in comic books
2) smart & nice
3) ludicrously wealthy

Thanks so much, Laurie! You sent me two perfect gifts - the things you don't even really know you want until you see them. Dave Gibbons' "Watching the Watchmen"

and the animated Justice League movie, "The New Frontier."

A friend had just been talking up the Watchmen book to me, and it's about as good as he'd said. A beautiful book. Even my non-comics-reading mother-in-law was impressed by it. I haven't watched "The New Frontier" yet, but am really looking forward to it.

My wife was worried that my Secret Santa would show her up, and it was very close! Kim Kelly is my friend.

erechoveraker

« Reply #284 on: December 28, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
Nice haul! That New Frontier movie was surprisingly good - there're even some curses!