Author Topic: chinese democracy - the saga continues!  (Read 8781 times)

Raad_Man

• Achilles bursitis
chinese democracy - the saga continues!
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
if you're worried about paying full retial for the album on sunday without hearing it first, then you can stream the whole damn thing on gnr's myspace site now!  there's a  lot of gay ballads, but also a few rockers.  sorry and shackler's revenge are two songs that don't suck.

www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: chinese democracy - STREAMING LIVE ON MYSPACE!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes are going to beat your ass.
Too soon?

<<<<<

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:17:31 PM »
"Street of Dreams" is really tender.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »
I heard it today.

I'm no enemy of schmaltz, saccharine or the bloated; I endorse rock folly where I can find it and find nothing more heartwarming than a triumph of perfectionism regardless of the pressures of time, critics and fanbase. After all, Immanuel Kant took eleven years off before producing A Critique Of Pure Reason. The establishment was confounded, and a new era in thought and evaluation was born.

Over the years, I have built up a tolerance to all kinds of music. I can enjoy the brapping and splapping of Albert Ayler over breakfast. When in a supermarket, I will find myself nodding along to the banal radio mush piped in. Once in a while, I will admit that the music of Neil Finn is vastly superior to that of Thurston Moore (well, his solo career, anyway). Bad music doesn't exist. The maxim of John Peel stuck with me - there must be a reason they made this and believed in this. If I don't like it, it is a fault with me. That's a paraphrase, by the way.

My relationship with Guns'n'Roses is limited. I remember at high school, someone brought in a boombox and played 'Get In The Ring' really loud and I remember liking the monologue verse which ends 'I'LL KICK YOUR BITCHY LITTLE ASS'. Other than that, I know their singles and videos. I even liked Slash's ostentatious piano-top solo in 'November Rain'. They were a fun little band for a while.

I also don't think that replacing and sacking band members leads to creative ruin. I love Bob Stinson but Slim did the job too. The Fall remain consistently creative, as did Volcano Suns and The Red Krayola, with rotating line-ups. To me, it always felt like the vision of W. Axl Rose and whoever played back-up was secondary. All things considered, I was in a good place to stream their album from Myspace and give it a fair listen.

It is the worst album in the history of the human ear. There is not one good melody, rhythm, vocal or idea expressed on it. At times I felt honoured to be hearing such an exquisite formation of tastelessness; industrial squall here, knowingly old-school 'riff' there, several lengthy solos, weedy auto-tune vocals...this album has the works.

To say it suffers from a weight of expectation for me is wrong - I never really listened to the band in my youth, so I expected nothing, hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I can now truly say there is bad music and Guns'n'Roses have created it.

"How do they see you when there's no light?"

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »
Yes.

It is atrocious.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »
This is the #2 album of 2008, behind only Marnie Stern's slab of brilliance. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:13:48 PM »

<<<<<

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:04:07 PM »

You're probably on to something.  GnR would definitely be a better band if Axle booted Bumblefoot and recruited Marnie Stern next.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »

You're probably on to something.  GnR would definitely be a better band if Axle booted Bumblefoot and recruited Marnie Stern next.

I support a Stern GNR stint in theory, but I wouldn't want it to delay her forthcoming collaboration with Mary Timony.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »
This is the best album I've heard since Stabbing Westward's Ungod.

Kim Kelly

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:36 PM »
It's been a while since we've had an Unfair Record Review. What was the last one? That hick hop guy? Cowboy Troy?
Too soon?

Tim K in DC

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:08 AM »
It's been a while since we've had an Unfair Record Review. What was the last one? That hick hop guy? Cowboy Troy?

I refuse to listen to this album unless it is delivered in the forum so aptly recommended by my last-namesake.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
I listened to the first four tracks and it was so unbearably bad that I had to listen to good music to make up for it.  The vocals at the beginning of "Street of Dreams" are truly ridiculous.

That New York Times review is pretty good.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

<<<<<

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
Umm, sadly the first four tracks is the better part of the album.  You got out at the right time.