Author Topic: hey you graphic designer types  (Read 2520 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: hey you graphic designer types
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:06:52 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
Wolfram's really doing some incredible work, but he gets short-changed in math-related fields because he would rather get on to the next thing rather than get the current thing exactly right. You have to think of him almost as an artist who uses math as his media. Meanwhile, the mean old men who do stuff "right" sit in the cold damp corner of their dungeon-like offices and produce maybe half a dozen papers that are "right" and then rightly ignored by all but their best friends.

Smullyan, my other favorite mad genius, has a 92 year old toe in both pools, God bless him.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Wolfram is also about 40% crackpot and 10% plagiarist.  E.g. A New Kind of Science.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:33:50 AM »
Dirty little non-secret: lots of graphic designers "borrow" ideas from elsewhere. And by borrow, I mean filch.

Paul Rand himself said something like, "It doesn't have to be original, it just has to be good." I don't think Rand had intellectual theft in mind however.

This reminds me of that Tom Lehrer song about the great mathematician Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky.

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/t/tomlehrer3903/lobachevsky185511.html

Sarah

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:50:18 AM »
I once recommended that song to Kenny G. (the DJ, not the musician); it fit perfectly with something he was doing on a show.  He was not familiar with it.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
I can think of a couple studios that will stay open another year thanks to this.