Author Topic: New FWD found: lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal  (Read 5219 times)

Trembling Eagle

Re: New FWD found: lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
The guys sounds like a trainwreck, but at least that interview finally inspired me to check out the Gene Simmons/Terry Gross interview. Hilarious!

Terry Gross: No. Let's get to the studded codpiece.

Gene Simmons: Oh yes.

Terry Gross: Do you have a sense of humor about that?

Gene Simmons: No.

Terry Gross: Does that seem funny to you? Are you --

Gene Simmons: No, it holds in my manhood.

Terry Gross: [laughs] That's right.

Gene Simmons: Otherwise it would be too much for you to take. You'd have to put the book down and confront life. The notion is that if you want to welcome me with open arms, I'm afraid you're also going to have to welcome me with open legs.

Terry Gross: That's a really obnoxious thing to say.

I just read that interview for the first time ... jaw-droppingly creepy

Listen to her John Travolta interview
I wanted to punch both those guys out for her

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
I could be wrong but I have a feeling that terry gross interview inspired a lot of Best Show masterworks. 

the more I think about it the more I think it's okay that this EODM dude is a psycho creep.  It's not like he's breaking new ground in the world of rock by being scuzzy and unrepentantly drug-addled.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
the more I think about it the more I think it's okay that this EODM dude is a psycho creep.  It's not like he's breaking new ground in the world of rock by being scuzzy and unrepentantly drug-addled.

Exactly. Amongst rock stars, he tends to be a little more straightforward about discussing his bad habits, which makes him an easy target. Yes he's douchey, but he's often quite funny, sometimes intentionally.

I'm not saying he doesn't have problems. In other interviews he claimed Josh Homme "saved his life" by checking him into rehab. Now he's back to claiming that drugs aren't a problem for him. Basically he's displaying the type of schizoid behavior that a lot of druggies display.

I'm gonna say that another redeeming quality that comes through in the interview is his genuine love and enthusiasm for a wide variety of music. Compare that to Gene Simmons ... if you go back to that Terry Gross interview, you can hear Gene boasting about how "KISS is a rock BRAND not a rock band". He basically owns up to the fact that he couldn't care less about music in general. If you look up "Gene Simmons bass solo" on youTube you'll find further evidence that the musical component of KISS is the very least of his concerns.

I think drug-free Gene S. is a thousand times douchier than fucked-up Jesse from EODM.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
The guys sounds like a trainwreck, but at least that interview finally inspired me to check out the Gene Simmons/Terry Gross interview. Hilarious!

Terry Gross: No. Let's get to the studded codpiece.

Gene Simmons: Oh yes.

Terry Gross: Do you have a sense of humor about that?

Gene Simmons: No.

Terry Gross: Does that seem funny to you? Are you --

Gene Simmons: No, it holds in my manhood.

Terry Gross: [laughs] That's right.

Gene Simmons: Otherwise it would be too much for you to take. You'd have to put the book down and confront life. The notion is that if you want to welcome me with open arms, I'm afraid you're also going to have to welcome me with open legs.

Terry Gross: That's a really obnoxious thing to say.

I just read that interview for the first time ... jaw-droppingly creepy

Listen to her John Travolta interview
I wanted to punch both those guys out for her

TE you should think about giving out 'Good for One Free Punch-out' coupons for secret santa.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »

If anything, the guy sounds like a sucker for cliches. 

QOTSA-related projects in general are becoming confused much akin to how Al Jorgenson's did.  After awhile, they all sounded like Ministry.  Or Ministry began sounding like them.  Same goes for Queens of the Stone Age. 

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »
For me, enjoying an Eagles of Death Metal song is like enjoying a hot dog...which is to say that I don't.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling