Author Topic: You'll probably regret that Clay Aiken tattoo  (Read 99455 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: You'll probably regret that Clay Aiken tattoo
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
The exclamation lines coming out of their heads really, uh, does it, whatever it is.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »

I'm tempted.
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »

I'm tempted.

Fuck me, this was my cell phone wall paper for about 2 years.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
How fresh is that Bill Murray tattoo? Either the facial area is bleeding in multiple spots, or Bill Murray suffers from massive Rosacea which I never noticed before.

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
If this one has been posted before, my apologies.

"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

Kim Kelly

« Reply #215 on: October 29, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
That's an amazing tattoo.
Too soon?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »

KickTheBobo

« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »
yep.

DoodleJump!

« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2009, 12:31:03 AM »
I already posted this on twitter, but here is a tattoo my coworker just got on his arm. He kept asking me to draw a unicorn with a kitten. I did, and now it is tattooed on his arm. I don't really know how to feel about this. but secretly I think it's awesome.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
Maybe it's time to confess this outright: I don't "get" tattoos.  I don't know a single person my age who has even one.

It's odd that it seems to be such a narrow-time-gap generational thing - even at the gathering of the FOT, the breakdown was shocking in % and # of tattoos.  Where's the cutoff?  Clearly the 25 and under set have way more and the 35 and older set have way fewer, but is there an exact year?

This is a sociological paper waiting to happen.  1979 (?) and On: The Tattoo Boomers.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
Maybe it's time to confess this outright: I don't "get" tattoos.  I don't know a single person my age who has even one.

It's odd that it seems to be such a narrow-time-gap generational thing - even at the gathering of the FOT, the breakdown was shocking in % and # of tattoos.  Where's the cutoff?  Clearly the 25 and under set have way more and the 35 and older set have way fewer, but is there an exact year?

This is a sociological paper waiting to happen.  1979 (?) and On: The Tattoo Boomers.

The other big dividing line is whether you had DARE indoctrination in school.

DoodleJump!

« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
I have actually wondered the same thing. It seems that most of my friends have at least one tattoo, whether it be a wimpy one of their initials or a full sleeve. I myself have two and am making plans for more. I would like to read your sociological essay on this when you write it. Which you should.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
To my recollection, the uptick in young folks getting tattoos seemed to coincide with Nirvana's "Nevermind" getting big in the record charts.

Not that those two things are particularly related -- just trying to put a time-frame on the phenomenon. I think it ties in with the era of "alternative rock" becoming a niche market ... around that same time, tattoos started shedding some of their "low-rent" stigma and became more of a hipster thing.

I can't back up anything I'm saying ... it's just my personal impression of events.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
I'm 38 and I have 4 tattoos, one of which I semi-regret, but mostly ignore.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »
To my recollection, the uptick in young folks getting tattoos seemed to coincide with Nirvana's "Nevermind" getting big in the record charts.

Not that those two things are particularly related -- just trying to put a time-frame on the phenomenon. I think it ties in with the era of "alternative rock" becoming a niche market ... around that same time, tattoos started shedding some of their "low-rent" stigma and became more of a hipster thing.

I can't back up anything I'm saying ... it's just my personal impression of events.

Maybe people who were in high school and down vs. college and up at that moment?  We're trying to be precise here.

Schoolkids Records (I believe JW worked there for a time) on Franklin Street had the whole front window plastered with that swimming baby poster in fall of 1991. 

So that would put the diving line approximately at people born in 1974 and on more likely to have tattoos, 1973 and before less?  It's a start.

Grote, we're treating you as an outlier for now.