Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703052 times)

citizenlewis

• Policemans heel
Marc Maron
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »
Tom-
Will you ever have Marc Maron on as a guest?
Maybe you could just hint that some one made an off the cuff comment about him and watch him go.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:01:31 AM »
May not be Tom's cup of tea he was a guest on Opie and Anthony you know.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
I was just thinking about Marc Maron as a guest, too. I've been listening to Marc's WTF podcast, which has been a real mix of comedy, philosophy, politics. He also has some familiar Best Show guests: Galifinakas, Patton, etc. There is a danger of Marc veering off of Hard G, but he had a terrestrial show, so he knows the deal.

I think he would be an insanely good guest, but that's just me.

Pastor Josh recommended Marc's podcast to me, and I have to say it is pretty terrific. I've been listening to it and Best Show nonstop for days.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »
Marc Maron's podcast is becoming one of my absolute favorites. He has the ability to make any guest he has on an interesting interview. Plus, he's just a naturally hilarious guy.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
I really like Maron's podcast too. I'd like to hear Tom as a guest on there, actually.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Marc Maron's podcast and think it would be great to hear him on Best Show or Tom and Jon on his show.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

moonshake

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
I'm also a fan of him and his podcast. He's a great interviewer and he'd be a very engaging guest on the show. If APMike and Marc were to have a conversation, it could only be hilarious and gut-wrenching.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Pastor Josh

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
I think he'd fit in.  He does fake guests well.  Half the time I don't even realize the fake guest is a fake guest until halfway through. 
Who I don't have chocolate?

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
I'm also a fan of him and his podcast. He's a great interviewer and he'd be a very engaging guest on the show. If APMike and Marc were to have a conversation, it could only be hilarious and gut-wrenching.

As a Mike Show guest, he would be perfect.

Barry Egan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »
I love you guys but you're all nuts.

I've listened to about 10 episodes of WTF and concluded that Maron is horrible at what he does.  For a show that purports to address philosophical questions and such, he is remarkably closed-minded and condescending. The personal anecdotes seldom leave the range of creepy/sad/petty, and the annoyingness of the "Why am I not more famous?" theme is only trumped by the "Because I'm too truthful, maaan!" refrain.   Puke.

He reminds me so much of this guy:

Nevermind that Maron's not especially funny, and not nearly as wise as he wants us all to believe, he seems like a complete asshole!  And a misogynist, kinda!

I'd never speak for The Kid, of course, but if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Tom never booking Marc Maron, famous mutual friends aside.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »
Most of what you're saying is just a matter of taste so I can't really argue it, but what exactly makes you call him a misogynist? That's a pretty strong word to be throwing around.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I don't really get the misogynistic thing at all from either the podcast or his standup CDs.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Yeah, I don't really get the misogynistic thing at all from either the podcast or his standup CDs.

I know people who like him a good deal more than I do.

I think he is alright.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Barry Egan

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
http://comedians.jokes.com/marc-maron/videos/marc-maron---sexually-acting-out

I said kinda misogynist, as 90% of the time he talks about women he makes them sound like traumatized manipulative monsters who are only good for sex.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I get from him over and over again.  He brags about sleeping with his "stalkers" and flirts with just about all of his female guests.  I think he even creeped out Margaret Cho, and that's no small feat.

Even worse is that every woman or minority he has on the show automatically becomes the "what it's like to be a woman and/or minority" show.  Fine, maybe he doesn't outright hate, but he certainly does compartmentalize people, relishing in their "otherness" to make him seem all tolerant and evolved.  I call bullshit.

Also, his favorite line, "I'm not racist, but I'm nervous" is uh... that's what racist people say, right?

I can't believe I'm alone on this one, but if I am, fine.  As Tom says, "That's why God made horse races".

moonshake

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
I guess when one is as honest and inquisitive as he is, some of what he says could be perceived that way. I don't think he's a saint or a role model, but I also never got the impression that his animosity towards certain people was because of their race or gender. When he asks Kumail Nanjiani about Pakistan and about being married to someone from Georgia, is that racist? I don't think so.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling