Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703670 times)

trickrodd

Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
First off, let me say that I'm a Marc Maron fan. I've been to all of the live WTF tapings, and I'm going to another one in a few hours. I even saw him perform last night in a show at the UCB hosted by Jimmy Pardo. That being said, I don't think he would be a very good fit for The Best Show. He seems a bit too loose for the tight ship Tom runs. Also, his personality is a bit prickly. If we're talking podcasters, I'd much rather hear Scott Aukerman as a guest, or even Jimmy Dore. I think they might show the proper deference. Marc does a good podcast, but I don't really think his and Tom's on-air personalities would mesh well.

Barry Egan

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
When he asks Kumail Nanjiani about Pakistan and about being married to someone from Georgia, is that racist? I don't think so.
I don't either,  but I stand by my assertion that "I'm not racist, but I'm nervous" is disturbing, and he's been using that line for years.  

I don't think he's a horrible person like Jeff Dunham or anything, I just get a creepy vibe from him often, and a full-of-shit vibe from him constantly.  Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but he has on guests I want to hear from, so I listen to his show.  

Agreed Scott Aukerman would be great.  He's more of a people person.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »

I've listened to the podcast on and off, depending on the guest. I think Maron can be funny sometimes, but I find him narcissistic to the point of pathology. It's pretty exhausting at times.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
When he asks Kumail Nanjiani about Pakistan and about being married to someone from Georgia, is that racist? I don't think so.
I don't either,  but I stand by my assertion that "I'm not racist, but I'm nervous" is disturbing, and he's been using that line for years.  

I don't think he's a horrible person like Jeff Dunham or anything, I just get a creepy vibe from him often, and a full-of-shit vibe from him constantly.  Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but he has on guests I want to hear from, so I listen to his show.  

Agreed Scott Aukerman would be great.  He's more of a people person.

It's all a matter of taste and he's not most people's cup of tea which answers the question of why he's not more famous. I think that most of the things about him that you have a problem with he is aware of and addresses. There are times when I listen to the podcast and get a bit uncomfortable with where he's going but then he'll acknowledge that and right the ship. That said, after thinking it over I agree that he wouldn't be the greatest guest on TBSOWFMU but I think Tom on WTF would be just fine. I think the entertainment value of Tom and Marc would come from their differences. With the exception of musicians, Marc has had on every comedian that Tom has in the past few years (as my memory serves). I like them both so naturally I'd like to see it happen and who knows maybe that's the context that you need to hear Maron in to dig him or maybe it will turn WTF fans off to him but my guess is it would be entertaining in a good way.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »
Marc does the best interviews in broadcasting.

Reeleyes

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »

I searched for a "like" button for about 45 seconds before I realized this wasn't facebook. I don't know about the best in the biz but I like 'em. Glad you're on board Hugman unless you were joking then I feel dumb again.

trickrodd

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 01:53:16 AM »
Marc does do great interviews. Also, I like the idea of Tom as a guest on WTF. I could see that working a lot better than the other way around. After seeing the live show tonight, I fear Marc may have added some fuel to the fire for people that think some of his comments are, at the least racially insensitive, and at the most xenophobic. Once the episode is released, you may understand what I mean. Specifically, it's when he's talking about buying boots that I'm referring to. I do find him very entertaining regardless.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »

I searched for a "like" button for about 45 seconds before I realized this wasn't facebook. I don't know about the best in the biz but I like 'em. Glad you're on board Hugman unless you were joking then I feel dumb again.

I was being serious, albeit with a touch of hyperbole.

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
i've listened to 3 WTFs so far after i saw it was recommended here.  I started with the dave attell episode, which i thought was a great interview (sidenote: i also think attell is great whenever he's on howard stern, too, so i could be kinda biased).  then i tried out the brendon small episode, which was boarderline unlistenable.  i was hoping to hear more about "home movies" and that show i can't spell properly, but most of the conversation (i bailed; didn't listen to the whole thing) was marc interrupting brendon every time he was about to answer marc's question, and then marc talking about how he plays guitar, but isn't very good.  it was really frustrating to listen to.  i listened to about half of the h. jon benjamin episode today and i enjoyed what i heard.

i'll try it again for some other guests i find interesting, but overall i wasn't blown away or anything.  and, i dunno, i can't really see marc fitting in on TBS.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
I am a fan of Marc/WTF, but I'd have to agree with the Tom on WTF would work better than Marc on TBSOWFMU contingent. I am actually having a hard time imagining Maron being interviewed himself, though I agree he is quite good at interviewing.

Reeleyes

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
I am a fan of Marc/WTF, but I'd have to agree with the Tom on WTF would work better than Marc on TBSOWFMU contingent. I am actually having a hard time imagining Maron being interviewed himself, though I agree he is quite good at interviewing.

Marc has recently been interviewed on Am I Right??, Adam Carolla, Comedy and Everything Else, Jordan Jesse GO!, and Fitzdog Radio.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:42:09 AM »
I don't have a problem with the boot story or with his "I'm not racist, I'm nervous line," and here's why: It is my belief that every one of us, racist or not, has prejudices about groups of people unlike our self. What I think Maron is doing with material like this is acknowledging his own prejudices in a direct, sometimes uncomfortable, way - which is to say, the way he handles every subject he discusses. Uncomfortable honesty is one of his calling cards.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
Recent episode with Rob Delaney is mindblowing.  For a little perspective on race, listen to the Kamau Bell and Dwayne Kennedy episode, and for chrissakes can we just relax on accusing other people of being racist for five minutes.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:29 PM »
Recent episode with Rob Delaney is mindblowing.  For a little perspective on race, listen to the Kamau Bell and Dwayne Kennedy episode, and for chrissakes can we just relax on accusing other people of being racist for five minutes.
Are you protecting the racists?
Racist!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

moonshake

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
Yeah. Enough with these heavy accusations. He might be a racist and a misogynist, but at least he's not a HORRIBLE PERSON!
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling