Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703726 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »

Yeah, Sanjyra.

It's SanJAYA ... SHOW SOME RESPECT!!

(... or don't).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »

Specifically, Chris Douchewick, I mean Hardwick was on JJG once and talked about seeing a film in Memphis with his dad. He was disgusted by the audience response to it, bur his reason was along the lines of Southerners not being smart enough as a group to understand it. Now, if that's a joke, I am OK, but it wasn't, he was snide and condescending, and Jesse didn't call him on it. That really pissed me off.

I believe Chris Douchewick is from Tennessee, therefore he's allowed to talk shit about Memphis filmgoers.
Hardwick's people are from the south, but he moved away from TN when he was 13. I am with Dave on this one, because I got the same feeling from his remarks on JJG. I don't know that people outside of the south realize how flippantly offensive the baseline characterization of southern people is, and when it is folks that call NY or LA home it compounds the insult by about 5X.

I agree with Dave about how he came off but I also think that he's a smart open-minded dude that would feel bad and dumb if he ever read this thread.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »

Specifically, Chris Douchewick, I mean Hardwick was on JJG once and talked about seeing a film in Memphis with his dad. He was disgusted by the audience response to it, bur his reason was along the lines of Southerners not being smart enough as a group to understand it. Now, if that's a joke, I am OK, but it wasn't, he was snide and condescending, and Jesse didn't call him on it. That really pissed me off.

I believe Chris Douchewick is from Tennessee, therefore he's allowed to talk shit about Memphis filmgoers.
Hardwick's people are from the south, but he moved away from TN when he was 13. I am with Dave on this one, because I got the same feeling from his remarks on JJG. I don't know that people outside of the south realize how flippantly offensive the baseline characterization of southern people is, and when it is folks that call NY or LA home it compounds the insult by about 5X.

I agree with Dave about how he came off but I also think that he's a smart open-minded dude that would feel bad and dumb if he ever read this thread.

If you're sincere about that, I trust your judgement. Chris Hardwick, should you ever read this, I am sorry I brought it up.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »

If you're sincere about that, I trust your judgement. Chris Hardwick, should you ever read this, I am sorry I brought it up.

Yeah, it seems like one of those things that no one has probably called him on and if they did, he might watch it. The few times I've interacted with him he couldn't have been any nicer.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
Dammit, you people are ruining it. He's never going to show up in this thread now.

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2010, 12:58:51 AM »

Yeah, it seems like one of those things that no one has probably called him on and if they did, he might watch it. The few times I've interacted with him he couldn't have been any nicer.

I concur on that. I've met Chris Hardwick on two separate occasions, and he seems like a genuinely nice and smart guy who, you're right, hasn't been called on that. I know I've said stupid things for no reason that I'd not have said if I had taken a second to think before saying them. If it were a reoccurring thing, I'd be with you, but I don't think he's anti-south.

And if I got mad everytime somebody made fun of New Jersey, I'd have stopped watching How I Met Your Mother a while ago (though their anti-Jersey, anti-vegan bias does make the characters seem extra jerky).

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
Well, I am mostly over this, but feel a compulsion to clarify. It's not that he cracked on the South. Hell, I do that. It's that he was seriously dismissive of Southerners in a laugh-free and entirely condescending way.

Jokes are fine. Stupid over-generalizing comments are pointless and, frankly, dumb. Just ask Rick Sanchez.

mackro

« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
way too late to this thread... but if Chris Hardwick is from Memphis, it was early on his life, because we were in the same graduating class at an L.A. all-boys Catholic high school.

I saw him and Eddie Pepitone open for Patton Oswalt at Bumbershoot a few weeks ago.  I was weirded out by the trotting, cussing Chris Hardwick. I remember him as one of the funniest guys in high school without having to do that type of thing, so.. yeah, it was extremely awkward.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
Back on topic...this week's 2-part interview with Louis CK is really exceptional.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
Back on topic...this week's 2-part interview with Louis CK is really exceptional.
I had just written essentially the same thing and when I went to post it, it showed that you had beat me to the punch. Honestly, Maron is the only person that could have gotten that interview out of Louis.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2010, 01:19:05 PM »
I agree. It's really something.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
I agree. It's really something.

Yep. Really fantastic conversation.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
Looking forward to the Louis CK. I found his tribute to Greg Giraldo very touching.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
Looking forward to the Louis CK. I found his tribute to Greg Giraldo very touching.

Louis CK himself is really fantastic.  Totally authentic, and a guy that appears to be fully in charge of his craft, top to bottom.  He had a moment, and it was a perfect little story, and it choked me up. 

What was not fantastic was Maron's insistence on inserting his jealousy, resentment, and pettiness into every f'n interview.  He's pulling the "I am copping to this, therefore it's okay to just go with it" card, and it's really revolting. I find it extra stooooopid in light of Louis CK's honesty, even his honesty about his 'failures' in his career. 

I saw Louis CK last week.  2nd show at the Chicago Theater (holds, what, 3500 people--both were sold out), and his new stuff is really great.  Mining similar territory, but really fluid, honest stuff.  I just don't find this honest in Maron's comedy--he also seems to disdain or question comedians who work a lot, or rather have a work ethic.  Absolutely delusional dude, though and through. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »

Louis CK himself is really fantastic.  Totally authentic, and a guy that appears to be fully in charge of his craft, top to bottom.  He had a moment, and it was a perfect little story, and it choked me up. 

What was not fantastic was Maron's insistence on inserting his jealousy, resentment, and pettiness into every f'n interview.  He's pulling the "I am copping to this, therefore it's okay to just go with it" card, and it's really revolting. I find it extra stooooopid in light of Louis CK's honesty, even his honesty about his 'failures' in his career. 

I saw Louis CK last week.  2nd show at the Chicago Theater (holds, what, 3500 people--both were sold out), and his new stuff is really great.  Mining similar territory, but really fluid, honest stuff.  I just don't find this honest in Maron's comedy--he also seems to disdain or question comedians who work a lot, or rather have a work ethic.  Absolutely delusional dude, though and through.

I'm not trying to change your mind about Maron or argue with you (or even disagree, really), but to say that an interview is great while trying to give absolute zero credit to the interviewer is a bit unfair. Whether or not you like Maron's public character or his work, he deserves a bunch of credit for that interview. I've heard lots of interviews with Louis CK, and he's always candid and honest, but the WTF interview with something else entirely. I don't know if anyone else could've gotten that interview out of him.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.