Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703713 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #300 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »
The Mike D one was the most compelling one yet, and that's saying something.  It's also admirable how Marc chose not to hype the episode by teasing with the subjects addressed.

I'd never even heard of the guy, but people were raving about this episode so I gave it a listen even though I've got a huge backlog of WTFs I've yet to listen to and... wow. It certainly wasn't the funniest episode if that's all you're looking for, but it was as compelling as any interview you're likely to hear from any comedian.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #301 on: December 19, 2010, 10:15:16 PM »
I've only got one episode in the backlog until I'm all caught up.  Thank god that Matthew dude isn't on the podcast anymore. Listening to him on the Caroline Rhea episode literally made me clench my fists.
I also couldn't take the Charles Fleischer live episode.  That guy makes Robin Williams seem like Steven Wright. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »
Agreed on all accounts, Hugman.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »

Yeah, Fleischer was pretty unbearable, especially when he wouldn't let the other guests have their turn. It was a bit like Robert Plant in every live Led Zeppelin recording I've ever heard. "Yes, Robert, those are very fine fake orgasm noises. Now will you please stop interrupting Mr. Page's solo?"
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »

Yeah, Fleischer was pretty unbearable, especially when he wouldn't let the other guests have their turn. It was a bit like Robert Plant in every live Led Zeppelin recording I've ever heard. "Yes, Robert, those are very fine fake orgasm noises. Now will you please stop interrupting Mr. Page's solo?"

You could really hear the "this guys is never coming near one of my shows again" in Marc's voice by the end of it. The rest of that episode was good, but Charles killed it (not in the good way).

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
Coming soon to WTF: John Hodgeman.

(How do I know this? Because something called the "Timescast" for Jan. 6 has a short profile of Maron that shows him recording the interview.  Not particularly worth watching except for that nugget of info, though: http://video.nytimes.com/video/playlist/timescast/1247467375115/index.html)
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
i always have to skip over the first 15 minutes or so of every podcast. I love his interviews but I can't stand his moaning in the beginning.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
I thought the opening segment of the Mike DeStefano episode, where he just played recorded phone calls with his stepmother, father, and brother, was pretty hilarious.  Not quite as acrimonious as a call from Ron Scharpling, but all real!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
i always have to skip over the first 15 minutes or so of every podcast. I love his interviews but I can't stand his moaning in the beginning.

I understand.  I love it, though.  Especially if I'm feeling a lot of angst or anxiety. It soothes me.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
I used to find the opening bitst annoying, but I've grown to enjoy them now too. I agree that the phone calls to his family were pretty amazing.

This show got me through those 6 weeks when the Best Show was off the air.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Did not expect to like the Bobby Lee one nearly as much as I did.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
I love this podcast, but especially on 2x playback on my ipod for most of it.

I'm sure everyone caught the article on NYTimes.com about it today. Those pictures are insane.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I didn't see it, but went and read - here's the link. Those photos are indeed insane - the one of a very young Louis CK and Maron was actually confusing for about 10 seconds.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »
That's an interesting article, but why is Frank Zappa in the lead photo?

patfromlansing

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
It's funny that you mention Frank Zappa.   I saw Marc when he came to Michigan in November, and brought my dad along.    We were waiting for the venue to open and started lining up.     Marc showed up and was trying to cut in line to get set up, and my dad was like "That guy who looks like Frank Zappa is cutting in line.   I should say something."    Marc heard it, and ended up talking to us for a few minutes before the show.   The show was amazing too, I really recommend checking him out if you get the chance.
I'm the mayor of winner country!