Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703666 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »
Man, that Dino Stamatopolous episode couldn't end fast enough.

Reminded me a lot of the Jim Norton episode. What a pustule on the heiny of humanity.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
after listening to the latest episode of comedy death ray radio I'd love for Marc to interview Paul Reubens

I have a feeling Marc wouldn't be as gracious an interviewer as Hot Saucerman.  He tends to be disrespectful to people he doesn't see as "real comedians."

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Also want to listen to the Krassner ep ... I am over scheduled so I can't listen to 9/10 of the podcasts I have on my ipod.

I really enjoyed the Krassner interview and it's one of the few "WTF" episodes I didn't delete from my iTunes so I can re-listen to it. Other comments are correct that he dwells a bit too much on Lenny Bruce, but Krassner's great. I've loved the guy ever since I read "Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut" during my college years...

Reminded me a lot of the Jim Norton episode. What a pustule on the heiny of humanity.

Oh, man... The Jim Norton episode... I'll have to jog my memory on that one. I recall listening to it but I don't recall much. This means I didn't like it nearly as much as... say the Robin Williams episode (kudos for Maron not letting Williams do his typical schtick and for getting some serious conversation) or the follow-up to the Mencia interview but not as loathsome as the episodes I couldn't finish. Of the later category the two that really come to mind are the Ben Stiller episode (which really could have been helped had Maron included the adio of him unzipping Stiller's fly with his teethO) and those noxious "Comedey Movie Nerds" or whomever those pricks were that talked about the Oscars in between laughing uncontrollably at nothing whatsoever. Assholes loke those guys are the reason I detest morning radio shows...

ETA: Ok, I just looked him up. Yeah, it seems like that was another episode I couldn't endure...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Pidgeon

« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
after listening to the latest episode of comedy death ray radio I'd love for Marc to interview Paul Reubens

I have a feeling Marc wouldn't be as gracious an interviewer as Hot Saucerman.  He tends to be disrespectful to people he doesn't see as "real comedians."

Or, "cahmics."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2011, 05:44:10 AM »
"Oh sure, I talk publicly about the most disgusting sorts of sexual practices involving things like, oh, I don't know, shit? BUT AT LEAST I'M BEING HONEST WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!"

Also want to listen to the Krassner ep ... I am over scheduled so I can't listen to 9/10 of the podcasts I have on my ipod.

I really enjoyed the Krassner interview and it's one of the few "WTF" episodes I didn't delete from my iTunes so I can re-listen to it. Other comments are correct that he dwells a bit too much on Lenny Bruce, but Krassner's great. I've loved the guy ever since I read "Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut" during my college years...

Oh, man... The Jim Norton episode... I'll have to jog my memory on that one. I recall listening to it but I don't recall much. This means I didn't like it nearly as much as... say the Robin Williams episode (kudos for Maron not letting Williams do his typical schtick and for getting some serious conversation) or the follow-up to the Mencia interview but not as loathsome as the episodes I couldn't finish. Of the later category the two that really come to mind are the Ben Stiller episode (which really could have been helped had Maron included the adio of him unzipping Stiller's fly with his teethO) and those noxious "Comedey Movie Nerds" or whomever those pricks were that talked about the Oscars in between laughing uncontrollably at nothing whatsoever. Assholes loke those guys are the reason I detest morning radio shows...

ETA: Ok, I just looked him up. Yeah, it seems like that was another episode I couldn't endure...

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Man, that Dino Stamatopolous episode couldn't end fast enough.

Not a big Dino fan? I think he's great.

I liked Moral Orel, but I was pretty tired of Dino by the end of that interview. Great, you got your d*** burned. Noted. Now let's go through a checklist of shows you did or didn't work on. OK great. You do that show on Adult Swim I watched 1/2 an episode of? OK great. See ya.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »
Harsh. And comparing Dino to Jim Norton is just heresy. That guy is a real mutant.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »
I found the Jim Norton episode more listenable. The guy at least fully commits to what he is...

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »
I just started listing to WTF (Paul Scheer, Aziz Ansari, Tom Lennon, and Doug Benson episodes) and I kinda love it. Maron is hilariously grating.

I just realized I had heard him once before - Ted Leo performed on Morning Sedition around the time Shake The Sheets was released (the end of 2004). I'm almost certain listening to Maron drove me a little nuts.
"Dad gets mad."

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
Yeah, Maron can have that effect on people. But he can be pretty goddamn funny as well. His last recording was quite good...

For some reason one of my favorite episodes was the Jon Benjamin episode. I just thought the two of them discussing what a "bully" (Benjamin's term, I believe) Sam Seder can be struck me as being hilarious...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »
I found the Jim Norton episode more listenable. The guy at least fully commits to what he is...

Hey Jim Norton, whatever you and a consenting adult want to do with a pile of feces is your business. But it's YOUR business.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #446 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
One thing I have learned about myself, thanks to Marc Maron, is that I find nothing as completely uninteresting as someone else's sex life.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
File it in the same cabinet as 'dream descriptions' and 'recaps of children's soccer games' and 'recaps of soccer games'.

dcgut

• Policemans heel
« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
I think Dino is an important comedy writer and I've been a fan for years, but I'm not interested in sex stories or glamorizing alcohol use.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #449 on: March 17, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
I think Dino is an important comedy writer and I've been a fan for years, but I'm not interested in sex stories or glamorizing alcohol use.

I agree. I think Stamatopolous has an interesting enough career that is relatively unknown for an interviewer to not bring up his personal life.

If there's one issue I have with Marc Maron's interview style, which is otherwise excellent, it's that he's sometimes too interested in the personal lives of his interviewees because he wants to  find a way to commiserate with or vicariously live through them.  But it just seems indicative of Maron's default view of comedy, which is "this is the form in which personal pain and truth gets processed into something that is meaningfully funny and we should all spill our guts to do so."