Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703613 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #495 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
"It's all my fault, Ed--although I do blame others."

I am so gonna appropriate that.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
I've never been able to stomach Johnathan Winters but I'm curious about the interview. I'll try much luck and give it a shot. It can't be any worse than Maron's interview with Ben Stiller, a real low point for a guy who's turning into a pretty damn good interviewer...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #497 on: May 12, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
This week's Jonathan Winters interview is a must if you have any affection for the man at all.

That one was pretty fascinating.  His precision was incredible.  He's absolutely one of the masters of the form.

Competitive eating?

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »
Maron's interview with Sally Wade about George Carlin's last years was a moving show. Sounds like he was a really sweet guy in his personal life (in marked contrast to his nasty onstage persona).

... but all that aside, I kinda wish they had devoted the entire episode to something that was discussed all too briefly: In the 1970s, young sitcom writer Sally Wade received an assignment to hang out with the Doobie Brothers so she could get their "vibe", prior to building a "What's Happening" episode around them.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #499 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
I started out not really enjoying the Sally Wade interview, but I was wiping away tears by the end. It's crazy to think how different he was offstage.

In the Am I Right interview with Maron, he mentions that he recently interview Garry Shandling. I can't wait to hear that.

Although it seem unlikely to ever happen, I'd love to hear Maron interview Albert Brooks.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #500 on: May 13, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
When Jesse first sent me the Maron interview (which I wasn't able to sit in on), I immediately stopped listening to call him to see if Maron had mentioned anything more about that Shandling interview off mic. I CAN NOT WAIT for that one.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
If you have access to the full WTF archives, I highly recommend the Jim Gaffigan interview from early on (I think it's one of the first 10 or 20 episodes). Maron's still getting his sealegs as an interviewer and it's much shorter than the interviews he does now, but it's a really great conversation. Gaffigan is really great at talking about comedy.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
I'd love to here him talk to Stephen Fry. Not only do I think it would be entertaining to hear those two personalities go up against each other because they seem so different but I think they'd actually have tons to talk about. Like his battles with bi polar disorder (including the infamous Belgium incident), growing up Jewish in England, his struggles with his sexuality.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #503 on: May 19, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
People here sure love Dock Ellis.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
People here sure love Dock Ellis.

hahaha do they?  I think it's just me, my avatar and I posted that video.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #505 on: May 19, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
The tentacles of the Jesse Thorpe empire are beginning to get a bit too ... tentacly, for my taste.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #506 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
PRX presents: What the E.L. Fudge.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #507 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »
The Shandling episode goes up on Monday.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #508 on: May 19, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
The Shandling episode goes up on Monday.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

SoSure

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #509 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »
. Gaffigan is really great at talking about comedy.

I don't remember anything specific, but I really enjoyed his episode of one of the early Nerdist podcasts.