Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 705445 times)

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #675 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:50 PM »
I really liked the Rainn Wilson interview. He wasn't trying to be funny, but he's a truly fascinating guy, especially when he talks about being raised Baha'i. I'm a sucker for a WTF interview with someone who struggled with the American theater and then became a star, though.

Yea, he's an interesting guy.  I'm also fascinated with the Baha'i faith.  I met some Baha'i men from Oman while I was in Thailand. They were from Iran originally but fled persecution there.  They were in Thailand looking for a house for their parents because they were starting to come down on the Baha'i in Oman and they were probably going to have to flee there as well.  Men without a country.  Talking to them in the tour van on the way to the River Kwai was one of the highlights of my trip.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #676 on: November 22, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
Though it's extraordinarily unlikely to happen, I'd really like to hear Marc interview Bill Cosby.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #677 on: November 24, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
Ok, so I'm still months behind and the conversation on this episode is played out, but that Will Franken episode was something else. Any criticism directed towards Franken was sorta embraced then deflected to either the royal "we" of the brotherhood of comedians or the "we" of Franken & Maron. Totally bizarre defence mechanisms.

I have a bigger respect for Marc for the way he handled the interview: careful listeners had many understated means to filter the interview through, but he never lowered himself to go for the jugular (as someone pointed out earlier). Great episode.

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #678 on: November 27, 2011, 02:57:35 AM »
I thought the small segment he did with Neil Hamburger on the live show from episode 226 was HILARIOUS.  I've listened to that part a dozen times at least. 
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #679 on: November 29, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I thought the small segment he did with Neil Hamburger on the live show from episode 226 was HILARIOUS.  I've listened to that part a dozen times at least.

I usually skip the live show episodes (because they are less intimate I guess?) but checked this one out to hear Hamburger - the whole show was really funny and that Molly Shannon story was incredible! But yeah, Hamburger, wow, I was laughing out loud. Home alone, laughing. I liked Andy Kindler too, so hyper and FUNNY.

I'm not skipping any more live episodes.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #680 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »

I'm not skipping any more live episodes.

They're usually pretty good, and I think it's good for him to change up the format of the show every now and then ... I like the "road trip" episodes also.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

TheDependentClause

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
I'm debating whether to listen to the Penn Jillette episode. I'm worried it might drive me up the wall, as I find that stripe of self-righteous libertarian/atheist/global-warming denialist particularly infuriating. But I'm curious to see whether/how Marc addresses that, given that Marc is a recovering alcoholic and generally seems like a spiritual person, not to mention a lefty, and how that collision with Jillette's views might come up during the episode.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #682 on: December 01, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
I'm debating whether to listen to the Penn Jillette episode. I'm worried it might drive me up the wall, as I find that stripe of self-righteous libertarian/atheist/global-warming denialist particularly infuriating. But I'm curious to see whether/how Marc addresses that, given that Marc is a recovering alcoholic and generally seems like a spiritual person, not to mention a lefty, and how that collision with Jillette's views might come up during the episode.

I listened to it. Jillette is not as infuriating as I'd expected, mainly because he comes across as so incredibly earnest.

Weird Al Goldstein story, too.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #683 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
I have deeply mixed feelings about Penn Jillette.  A while back when Tom put up the topic "People You Know You Should Hate But You Gotta Admit You Kinda Like 'Em" (loosely paraphrased), I thought of him.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment and even insight from Penn and Teller over the years, though I watched one episode of Bullshit and said "Eh, who needs this."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Brandon0476

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #684 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »

I don't know if I'd call Marc a spiritual guy. He seems to believe there might possibly be something out there and is generally pretty tolerant to religion, but I don't think he'd be bothered by atheists. Unless Penn's a jerk about it (a la Ricky Gervais)

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #685 on: December 02, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Just finished the Jack Gallagher episode. Another fantastic interview. As someone who works as an ABA therapist, I thought the interview was classy and informative. Kudos.

Jesus H.W. Christ

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #686 on: December 02, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
As one of last week's callers mentioned, I'd love it if they made the panel Tom did with Marc Maron and Ira Glass available in some capacity. The Scharpling & Maron tag team in action always brings me joy.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of old Best Show episodes lately, and I'm interested to see how Tom and Ira Glass interact, given that Tom has relentlessly mocked This American Life in the past.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #687 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
Listened to the Penn Jillette interview today and thought it was great as well as mind-broadening.  Definitely an interesting explanation of one man's take on Libertarianism.  Seems like either you have to have blind faith in the government or your fellow man. Either way, we're fucked, I guess.  ;)(sort of)

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #688 on: December 03, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »

I found the interview with Penn pretty interesting. There's not as much Libertarianism and atheism in it as you might think, and he just seems like a truly cool guy.

To all of you who are fans, you owe it to yourself to see their show in Las Vegas. It's great, relatively inexpensive (for Vegas), and you get to meet them afterward.
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #689 on: December 05, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I'm extremely apprehensive about listening to the Anthony Bourdain interview. I like No Reservations but I get the feeling it would be a real chore to hang around with the guy.