Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703711 times)

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #720 on: January 08, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »
The MIB episode is a perfect example of why WTF is so engaging.  Everyone injects their own feelings and projections into how they interpret an episode.  I heard MIB being insanely insecure and overly defensive at pretty innocuous comments.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #721 on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
The MIB episode is a perfect example of why WTF is so engaging.  Everyone injects their own feelings and projections into how they interpret an episode.  I heard MIB being insanely insecure and overly defensive at pretty innocuous comments.

I also think sometimes when Maron is accused of being an a-hole it's more of a playful kind of ribbing (jab trading?). An example being when he joked about Dane Cook being a wizard in a castle upset about somebody 'stealing his essence'. The fact that Cook got annoyed by it kind of egged him on, which is not surprising from somebody whose profession is being funny. The more he pushed it, the funnier it was to me anyway.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #722 on: January 09, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
I'm trying to parse "old mother-in-law," MM, and I'm coming up short.  But I'm interested in the phraseology!

My ex-wife's mom had that rare skill of insulting you to your face but you wouldn't realize it until the next day.  Marc's jabs at Michael Ian Black were less subtle (she was the master) but reminiscent!

"Hi we're being friendly but I'm going to insult you to your face..."

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #723 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
I think Marc did take a few jabs but MIB was way way guarded. I've always liked Stella (but moreso the other two).

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #724 on: January 09, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
I should have also noted that my interpretation of MIB being insecure and defensive comes from recognizing that stuff in myself. That's what I mean by we project our stuff onto it.  Meaning, I'm not going to label him an asshole.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #725 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »
Saw him in a commercial for Expedia just now.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #726 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
I should have also noted that my interpretation of MIB being insecure and defensive comes from recognizing that stuff in myself. That's what I mean by we project our stuff onto it.  Meaning, I'm not going to label him an asshole.

In the interview didn't he admit that that was where his "asshole" stage persona came from? I agree that he was being defensive, but at the same time Marc seemed to enjoy goading him a little so he wasn't unjustified.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #727 on: January 13, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
Whether or not you like Maron, this week's Steven Wright interview is indisputably great.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #728 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »
What a wonderful interview with Todd Glass.  A+ all the way.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #729 on: January 17, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »

Seriously! I remember Daniel Tosh joking about how Todd Glass was gay on his show once -- that must've been crazy for Glass to have watched that before he came out.

I thought that Tosh was too many gay jokes; it was bordering on homophobic. And then it turns out he's gay too.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #730 on: January 17, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »

Seriously! I remember Daniel Tosh joking about how Todd Glass was gay on his show once -- that must've been crazy for Glass to have watched that before he came out.

I thought that Tosh was too many gay jokes; it was bordering on homophobic. And then it turns out he's gay too.

I wasn't sure if that ending was a true statement or Todd making a joke about all the speculation on Tosh's sexuality. Or is Tosh actually out?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Greggulator

« Reply #731 on: January 17, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
Ditto on the Todd Glass interview. Super touching from a really great comic. A few of my Philly comic friends know Todd really well (I've never met him) and swear that he's one of the nicest, most genuine guys of all-time.

I want someone else to come out on WTF. But instead of coming out as gay, I want someone to come out as a Republican.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #732 on: January 17, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
My wife and I met Todd Glass after a show at the Bloomington Comedy Club, the Comedy Attic. My wife poked her head into the green room area, which I'm sure we weren't supposed to do, and said 'good job gentlemen' to Todd and the middle guy. We turned to go but Todd insisted we come on in and we talked for quite some time. He is extremely nice and just naturally funny. I actually haven't heard the WTF with him yet, but will listen to it now.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #733 on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »

I wasn't sure if that ending was a true statement or Todd making a joke about all the speculation on Tosh's sexuality. Or is Tosh actually out?

He said he's been with his partner for 15 years and I assume Tosh to be in his early thirties so that seems like it'd be stretching it. I'm betting Todd is getting a big kick out of the fact that he was even able to get people speculating.

Fantastic interview. His philosophy of 'leave everybody the fuck alone' is well worth taking to heart.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #734 on: January 17, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »
I want someone else to come out on WTF. But instead of coming out as gay, I want someone to come out as a Republican.

I think Adam Carollo's already been on.