Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703632 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #870 on: May 05, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »

Chelsea made me want to retch, while Zmuda made me want to cheer.

I agree the Zmuda episode was great, so many awesome stories, but it was so annoying how he kept whispering the whole time.

I watched the "Andy at Carnegie Hall" movie on youtube afterwards and was surprised by how low budget it was - when you hear "concert at Carnegie Hall" you imagine high production values and a real big show but this was just Andy and a band and some folding chairs (?) on stage? I was also disappointed that the Rockettes were edited out of the movie for some reason.

Also Andys "I Come From Hollywood" movie is really great if you haven't seen it, it's all about his wrestling career.

As a wrestling fan the very idea of a lifelong fan using his celebrity to go and become a heel wrestler in Memphis TN is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
[/quote]

"My Breakfast with Blassie" starring Kaufman and Classy Freddie Blassie- King of Men.
Andy Kaufman -My Breakfast with Blassie pt1
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Dennis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #871 on: May 06, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »
i finished the zmuda episode earlier today.  it was endlessly entertaining, but after hearing it, i feel like mark would agree with me that a good portion of the stories were probably embellished beyond belief.  even so, i've been recommending it all night.  it took me a few episodes to get the tone of wtf, but at this point i absolutely love it.

TheDependentClause

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:30 AM »
Just listened to the Wayne Coyne episode yesterday while running. I'm a fair-weather Flaming Lips fan and haven't paid much attention to them over the past few years, and almost didn't listen to this episode. But man. What a sweet, genuine guy.

I'm always impressed when artists who are famous and accomplished enough to have become complete pricks are, in fact, the opposite. Coyne has an enthusiasm for his work that 30 years of playing music hasn't diminished, at an age when many musicians, famous or not, have become irreversibly cynical. This episode was perfect for listening to while running, since it kept me motivated, even inspired.

Topher

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
The Bob Zmuda interview is one of the Top 5 WTFs.

And I would put the Chelsea Handler diametrically the opposite of the Zmuda one.  Horrible.  Maron's got nothing to do with why it's bad, either. 

I was looking forward to this, too, for some reason. 

Ugh.

Agree.

Chelsea made me want to retch, while Zmuda made me want to cheer.
Maybe it's because I heard those stories before, and the way that Zmuda has this need to hang on to them...but I really didn't like it, and found it sort of off-putting and not in keeping with the best of WTF. On the Chelsea Handler episode (in which, yes, she comes across as terrible), Marc even mentions how difficult it can be to get beyond that public persona, and how that is his goal. I thought that Zmuda thwarted Marc every time he tried to go deeper (even asking him not to be a party pooper at one point). I'm a big Zmuda/Kaufman fan, but I really didn't like this episode, obviously through no fault of Marc's.
Yeah.  Why?

Crusherkc

« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Maybe it's because I heard those stories before, and the way that Zmuda has this need to hang on to them...but I really didn't like it, and found it sort of off-putting and not in keeping with the best of WTF. On the Chelsea Handler episode (in which, yes, she comes across as terrible), Marc even mentions how difficult it can be to get beyond that public persona, and how that is his goal. I thought that Zmuda thwarted Marc every time he tried to go deeper (even asking him not to be a party pooper at one point). I'm a big Zmuda/Kaufman fan, but I really didn't like this episode, obviously through no fault of Marc's.

Agree. While it's great to hear Kaufman stories (and the one about the mad screenwriter), that just wasn't a satisfying conversation.  When Marc can only get in "yuh...yuh...yuh...uh-huh...yuh...oh c'mon...yuh...yuh..." I sensed he was frustrated- as I was listening to it. I believe it's sometimes important to stand back and let a classic old-timer tell his/her stories but there has to be some give-and-take.

Automatically deleted Handler.  Don't care about her or her world.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #875 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
The Wayne Coyne episode, however, was fantastic.

I agree. I've seen the Flaming lips several times over the past fifteen years or so and he's just like that on stage. Wayne just  seems like one of the coolest guys in the universe, regardless of what you think of the Lips and their various stylistic changes...

Chelsea Handler: Gag... I've only seen maybe five or ten minutes of "Chelsea Lately" but I just don't get the appeal. Plus whenever somebody talks about spending $500 on a pack of smokes I want to choke somebody...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #876 on: May 13, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
The Wayne Coyne episode, however, was fantastic.

I agree. I've seen the Flaming lips several times over the past fifteen years or so and he's just like that on stage. Wayne just  seems like one of the coolest guys in the universe, regardless of what you think of the Lips and their various stylistic changes...

Chelsea Handler: Gag... I've only seen maybe five or ten minutes of "Chelsea Lately" but I just don't get the appeal. Plus whenever somebody talks about spending $500 on a pack of smokes I want to choke somebody...

I don't see why that would bother you. If you think about it, some slob got paid $500 to deliver a pack of smokes.  Probably made his week.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #877 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »
I always feel like everyone over reacts to how sucky the sucky people are. When I see Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia or Chelsea Handler's name on the episode list I am never expecting some huge 180.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #878 on: May 14, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »
I always feel like everyone over reacts to how sucky the sucky people are. When I see Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia or Chelsea Handler's name on the episode list I am never expecting some huge 180.

Well, with Handler, I had had only passing contact with her career, i.e. I passed by the cover of one of her books at the library and thought, "Jeez what a terrible title for a book." (I think it was called something about vodka). So the WTF interview was a revelation in that I never knew any human could be that repellant. I immediately had to do research on Handler and it all confirmed this impression.

I think it surprises people when sucky people are sucky on WTF because it seems like Maron can pull interesting emotions and conversations from even the worst people. I DID expect more from the Mencia interview, for instance - I wanted Maron to be more confrontational, for there to be real sparks.
LN5OG

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #879 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »
I think we easily forget that Marc is face to face with these people.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #880 on: May 16, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
I think we easily forget that Marc is face to face with these people.

Right. I acknowledge that my expectations were unrealistic.

I think it's pretty cool that when people we already conceive as being sucky people appear on WTF they do nothing but reinforce our impression of them as sucky people, however. I think what might come off as surprise among us is more like delight in being validated.
LN5OG

Greggulator

« Reply #881 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Don't read Grantland today (or probably ever). Their most self-important hack wrote an incredibly condescening takedown of WTF today. Mind you, he also wrote an article touting the importance of Storage Wars, where he was the first time he heard "Rehab," recaps AmIdol and brags about how awesome he is for living in Thailand for a few months. He also uses his middle name in his byline, the ultimate sign of self-importance.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #882 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
You just made me want to check out Grantland, which I'd never even heard of until just now.

I like getting mad about unimportant stuff, what can I say?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
Ha ha, that dude at Grantland did an unfunny version of this thing mere days after the funnier version of it was published.

mostlymeat

« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
You just made me want to check out Grantland, which I'd never even heard of until just now.

I like getting mad about unimportant stuff, what can I say?

Yeah, saying "don't check this out" is almost more enticing than "check this out". I, too, had to go read this.

If you don't want someone to do a thing, don't tell them anything about it!

I love WTF now (yeah get in line) but was pretty steamed in the James Mercer episode when Marc dissed Styx.