Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650522 times)

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
Maybe I'm the oddball here but I gave up on CDR radio a while back.  And it is because of the host Scott Aukerman.  I just don't enjoy him very much*.  I also did not enjoy the comedy songs and would just skip over them, for the most part.

In other podcast rejection news, I also abandoned The 40-Year-Old Boy a few months ago as the near-relentless bleak
+ ferociously angry underpinnings of the 'comedy' were just too much for me.  I'd be shocked if Mike Schmidt were a happier fellow these days, but should I give the show another shot?

Finally, as Colin Marshall (of MaximumFun's Podthoughts) has discussed the Two Twenty/Thirtysomething White Guys/Girls Bullshitting About Culture (TTWGBAC) genre describes many podcasts and I enjoy some of these, but they do almost exclusively feature " white guys".  Can you suggest some featuring women or non-white folk?

* In a similar vein (and perhaps apocryphally here), I don't appreciate David Cross' humor.  I may have even written about this on this board before...

(how does self-promotion = anarchic behaviour?)

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
It's not Christmas without "Here Comes Fatty with his Sack of Shit."

True, that rare thing, an actually funny comedy song.   However, my wife plays the John Waters Christmas album nonstop from just after Hallowe'en through New Year's, so I get enough of that.
Who I don't have chocolate?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

True, that rare thing, an actually funny comedy song.   However, my wife plays the John Waters Christmas album nonstop from just after Hallowe'en through New Year's, so I get enough of that.

Does that collection include Christmas In Jail?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
Maybe I'm the oddball here but I gave up on CDR radio a while back.  And it is because of the host Scott Aukerman.  I just don't enjoy him very much*.  I also did not enjoy the comedy songs and would just skip over them, for the most part.

* In a similar vein (and perhaps apocryphally here), I don't appreciate David Cross' humor.  I may have even written about this on this board before...

(how does self-promotion = anarchic behaviour?)

I find Scott Aukerman to be kind of a minimal part of the CDR podcast. Maybe I'm just tuning him out. The comedy songs and otherwise are fine. I enjoyed a recent 'worst songs of all time' featuring 'Funky Man' from DeeDee Ramone's hip hop album, but that probably makes me like the 'it's so stupid, it's great' guy. I tend to like the characters on the show, also, so I've stuck with it.

Lately I've started listening to Marc Maron's WTF, which I like, although Marc does kind of teeter on the edge of the black hole of despair at times so it can be rough sledding.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

Does that collection include Christmas In Jail?

Or Xmas at K-Mart?

http://blip.fm/profile/SoundSystemSDC/blip/30466571/CHRISTMAS_XMAS_AT_K-MART-ROOT_BOY_SLIM_&_SEX_CHANGE_BAND

Pastor Josh

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
Steve and Fredericks, no on both counts.  Here's the playlist:
http://www.amazon.com/John-Waters-Christmas-Various-Artists/dp/B00065GHWE
Who I don't have chocolate?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
I feel I need to stand up for Scott Aukerman - I'm a big fan of more or less everything he's done, and that very much includes CDR Radio. I think he's hilarious, and a great host of the show. Best new podcast of 2009!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
I feel I need to stand up for Scott Aukerman - I'm a big fan of more or less everything he's done, and that very much includes CDR Radio. I think he's hilarious, and a great host of the show. Best new podcast of 2009!

I agree.  My comedy podcasts now rank, in order of hilarity:

Best Show & Best Show Gems (tie)
CDR Radio
The Bugle

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
Thirded!

Although ScAukerman didn't use my WouldYouRather suggestion. Humbug!
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

CDR Radio
The Bugle

I like CDR OK, but it doesn't make me half as happy as The Bugle. What I notice with CDR is that the guests are sometimes really not able to get in a valuable contribution. Both Aziz Ansari and Michael Cera seemed completely marginalized recently. I did enjoy the visit by Huell Howser; he was doing happy features in Nashville (so was Pat Sajak) when I was a kid.

teenboat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2009, 03:53:06 AM »
CDR is always great. I also still love seven second delay. Andy is one of the funniest humans alive (when he still has the will to live).
This podcast is usually funny

Shoddy Radio

todd

« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

CDR Radio
The Bugle

I like CDR OK, but it doesn't make me half as happy as The Bugle. What I notice with CDR is that the guests are sometimes really not able to get in a valuable contribution. Both Aziz Ansari and Michael Cera seemed completely marginalized recently. I did enjoy the visit by Huell Howser; he was doing happy features in Nashville (so was Pat Sajak) when I was a kid.

Aziz and Cera - that was their own fault. They wouldn't bring the funny.

That said, man, what's with Scott turning on his own guests sometimes? He shit all over the Jesse Ventura bit from the beginning when it was really good, he just didn't let it build.

I don't know why I'm whining, it's like my favorite podcast. The second Huell appearance where he has a racist meltdown at the end - holy shit. I was doubled over on the subway crying.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »

CDR Radio
The Bugle

That said, man, what's with Scott turning on his own guests sometimes? He shit all over the Jesse Ventura bit from the beginning when it was really good, he just didn't let it build.

I don't know why I'm whining, it's like my favorite podcast. The second Huell appearance where he has a racist meltdown at the end - holy shit. I was doubled over on the subway crying.

I was a little bummed that only one of my choices ended up in their year-end top 10 (PFT as Ice-T).

Reeleyes

« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2009, 03:15:18 AM »

CDR Radio
The Bugle

I was a little bummed that only one of my choices ended up in their year-end top 10 (PFT as Ice-T).

PFT as Ice-T is one of the funniest things ever. It triples it's own funniness when he cracks himself up.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

teenboat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2009, 05:18:18 AM »
The best line from that whole show was "Do you like... money?" HA!
This podcast is usually funny

Shoddy Radio