Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650411 times)

kiemzi

• Policemans heel
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
Tom reminded me of a podcast suggestion on the show last night... my podcast! because one time we read the dazzler comic!
http://drunkcomics.tumblr.com/post/9292456812/drunk-comic-book-chat-11-dazzler-1

but mostly i suggest Martin's ARTHUR podcast, it's great!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
99% Invisible
The Memory Palace

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
I highly recommend Jason Sims is Calling You. I think we're all familiar with who that Jason may be. But his new podcast is great; conversation between our beloved Alabammy Comet and a stranger (including an episode with webcomics celebrity Kate Beaton!) I genuinely envy his conversation skills. Plus, the key, he's keeping each episode to a lean and mean half hour.

Crusherkc

« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »
If they're not really nerds, as Fred Stoller easily proved, why don't they just rename The Nerdist "The Affected Deep Voiceover L.A. Boring Zoo Crew?"

Who can hear anything with all those dudes booming over their guests the whole time? What's the point of having a guest if you're just going to talk over them?

When Chris Hardwick does a rare solo show, like the interview with David Tennant, it's so much better (although he still goes into dork-voice way too much) than the with the other two bringing everything to a halt with predictable call-backs or easy pop culture references (I think they do it just to top each other).  I had to listen to the Fred Stoller appearance after hearing him calling out the so-called nerdists on WTF.  Fred was also awesome on Pop My Culture.  I'd love it if he could get on the Best Show.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Crusherkc

« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
The Ronna & Beverly Podcast is really, really funny. Some of the best character-based comedy going.

Seconded!
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
99% Invisible

Followed your recommendation, yesno.  Love this one.  The music of failing escalators on one and Benjamen Walker showing up as a host on another, it's delightful.

Plus they're short.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #606 on: March 16, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
I highly recommend Jason Sims is Calling You. I think we're all familiar with who that Jason may be. But his new podcast is great; conversation between our beloved Alabammy Comet and a stranger (including an episode with webcomics celebrity Kate Beaton!) I genuinely envy his conversation skills. Plus, the key, he's keeping each episode to a lean and mean half hour.

Thank you for your kind words about "Jason Sims is Calling You", Wind & Iron.

One correction: The lady I speak with in episode 2 isn't Kate Beaton, but another Kate who also lives in Nova Scotia and makes comics: Kate Leth.

You are not the first person to think it was Kate Beaton. It's an unintended consequence of the choice to not mention last names, titles of works or websites (unless they naturally come up in the conversation), as well as having very sparse episode notes/descriptions. Both are an attempt to make this thing less "podcast-y."

Sorry for the confusion. I'm glad you liked it.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #607 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »
If they're not really nerds, as Fred Stoller easily proved, why don't they just rename The Nerdist "The Affected Deep Voiceover L.A. Boring Zoo Crew?"

Who can hear anything with all those dudes booming over their guests the whole time? What's the point of having a guest if you're just going to talk over them?

When Chris Hardwick does a rare solo show, like the interview with David Tennant, it's so much better (although he still goes into dork-voice way too much) than the with the other two bringing everything to a halt with predictable call-backs or easy pop culture references (I think they do it just to top each other).  I had to listen to the Fred Stoller appearance after hearing him calling out the so-called nerdists on WTF.  Fred was also awesome on Pop My Culture.  I'd love it if he could get on the Best Show.

I come back to the Nerdist periodically because they often get top notch guests. But man oh man, I share your frustration. In the Bryan Cranston episode they came up with this really sad 'dick grapes' call back/catch phrase that they must have repeated 50 times. Cranston was an absolute saint for playing along.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:16 PM »
One correction: Wind & Iron.

Listened to the first one Jason.  Wonderful in both conception and execution.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »

Listened to the first one Jason.  Wonderful in both conception and execution.

Thank you, Fredericks.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
99% Invisible

Followed your recommendation, yesno.  Love this one.  The music of failing escalators on one and Benjamen Walker showing up as a host on another, it's delightful.

Plus they're short.

I listen to that escalator music every workday.  Metro has added a new trick; it has brake pads for its trains that smell like dead fish when used.  http://unsuckdcmetro.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-that-foul-smell.html

wood and iron

« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

Thank you for your kind words about "Jason Sims is Calling You", Wind & Iron.

One correction: The lady I speak with in episode 2 isn't Kate Beaton, but another Kate who also lives in Nova Scotia and makes comics: Kate Leth.

You are not the first person to think it was Kate Beaton. It's an unintended consequence of the choice to not mention last names, titles of works or websites (unless they naturally come up in the conversation), as well as having very sparse episode notes/descriptions. Both are an attempt to make this thing less "podcast-y."

Sorry for the confusion. I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks for pointing that out. Very weird considering the hyperspecificy of a woman who draws webcomics from Nova Scotia with the name of Kate who has a large Tumblr following.
I've heard Kate Beaton on other interview type shows and even then I swear they sound alike. At any rate, Kate Leth was great to talk to.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »
I want to be the first to accuse Jason of constructing an elaborate and extremely specific hoax.

patfromlansing

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #613 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:39 AM »
It's been a year since I mentioned my podcast, Walk it Off, I think we have started to hit our stride.  We are a combination of chat, and skits, and I think we put on a good show.  Past episodes have included FOT like Jason from Huntsville, the Greggulator, and Geneva.    Check it out!   http://walkitoffpodcast.podbean
I'm the mayor of winner country!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #614 on: March 17, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »
Are you available via iTunes?