Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650404 times)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #750 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
I liked it, but the erratic scheduling did affect my listening - specifically, releasing 4 episodes in a week after months without a single one. I also wasn't crazy about the Great Undiscovered Project, which just seemed to go on and on and on without any payoff. But I always enjoyed listen to him get silly on the interstitial bits. I'm still a huge fan.

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #751 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
Before derailing with my actual question, I'll simply add that while not every bit works in my view,  I generally enjoy PFT's podcast.  For me, it is the last 10 min to skip (the plugs) as opposed to his first 10 min, where his riffs and tangents occasionally strike gold.  Course, I don't even download WTF anymore, except if the guest is of great interest to me and even then, I always skip his first 10 minutes.   I gave up on CBB long long ago because I don't think Aukerman's 'character' on that show is very funny, if at all - this may have been a previous topic of discussion on this board (in this thread?!)

My question:

Can you recommend shows by/for/about/of interest particularly to women?  Julie Klausner's show is a good example, as is Janet Varney's.  Others to recommend? (not that men can't/don't enjoy these shows and not that women aren't into the LA alt-comedy-nerd scene, that seems to dominate the podcast field...)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #752 on: March 01, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Can you recommend shows by/for/about/of interest particularly to women? 

Happened to just come across this article in a journal for public radio about women in podcasting. At the end there's a list of female-centric shows.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #753 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
Before derailing with my actual question, I'll simply add that while not every bit works in my view,  I generally enjoy PFT's podcast.  For me, it is the last 10 min to skip (the plugs) as opposed to his first 10 min, where his riffs and tangents occasionally strike gold.  Course, I don't even download WTF anymore, except if the guest is of great interest to me and even then, I always skip his first 10 minutes.   I gave up on CBB long long ago because I don't think Aukerman's 'character' on that show is very funny, if at all - this may have been a previous topic of discussion on this board (in this thread?!)

My question:

Can you recommend shows by/for/about/of interest particularly to women?  Julie Klausner's show is a good example, as is Janet Varney's.  Others to recommend? (not that men can't/don't enjoy these shows and not that women aren't into the LA alt-comedy-nerd scene, that seems to dominate the podcast field...)

I haven't listened in a while because constant irony gets to be a drain but Throwing Shade on the MaxFun Network is worth a listen. Two funny people discuss primarily women and gay issues in the news. As I said, I eventually had to stop listening because they get very manic at times with their sarcasm, irony, and improv stuff that gets tiring. But might be worth a shot.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #754 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »

My question:

Call Chelsea Perretti is funny.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #755 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
I can not stand Ken Plume. First, he loves dumb British quiz shows. (seriously, watch an episode of "QI" and not want to kill yourself.) Second, he constantly interrupts the interesting people on his show right in the middle of their genuinely compelling story with some sad, unrelated, well-trodden bit of TV lore trying to pretend he knows anything about how show business works. He's a dumb phony.

Jetouellet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #756 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
I can not stand Ken Plume. First, he loves dumb British quiz shows. (seriously, watch an episode of "QI" and not want to kill yourself.) Second, he constantly interrupts the interesting people on his show right in the middle of their genuinely compelling story with some sad, unrelated, well-trodden bit of TV lore trying to pretend he knows anything about how show business works. He's a dumb phony.

Subjective argument.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #757 on: March 02, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

Subjective argument.

His amazing listening/interview skills on display from 45:00 to 48:00 here http://www.asitecalledfred.com/2012/10/03/andy-richter-ken-plume-chat/

Jetouellet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #758 on: March 02, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

Subjective argument.

His amazing listening/interview skills on display from 45:00 to 48:00 here http://www.asitecalledfred.com/2012/10/03/andy-richter-ken-plume-chat/

Subjective defense of clip.

Kevin from Pittsburgh

• Policemans heel
« Reply #759 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »
You obviously don't like Ken Plume's stuff, so maybe these are more your thing:

http://www.nickandartie.com/

http://blog.joerogan.net/podcast-2

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/jeff-dunham-achmeds-weekly/id580361464

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go delete all of my search history and wash my keyboard
Does anybody have the new issue of Wizard?  Mike is getting his issue of Wizard from his bag.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #760 on: March 04, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm on board with any podcast Reggie Watts does the theme song to.

Crusherkc

« Reply #761 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

I think Ken Plume is a genuinely nice, interesting guy- neither dumb nor a phony.  He gets guests off the beaten path like SCTV alum and UK comedy writers and his chats with Tom are great.  I only agree with one thing: he does interrupt his guests in mid sentence way too much, sometimes to the point where I have to shut it off.  It's a damn shame and I've thought about writing to him about it but I didn't wanna nitpick a thing that's free and easy to switch off.  But when he has a special guest like Dave Thomas or Mel Brooks (before Maron got him) he'll step back and let his guest tell his stories.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #762 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:16 AM »
I wish I knew Ken Plume's secret to booking!

JimmyNoodles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #763 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »

My question:

You Had To Be There with Sara Schaefer and Nikki Glaser
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Slumber Party with Alie and Georgia
Making It with Riki Lindhome
Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler
The Dork Forest with Jacki Kashian
Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend

Crusherkc

« Reply #764 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

There's also this: http://thisfeelsterrible.tumblr.com/

Comedian and repeat relationship failure Erin McGathy talks love, sex and all matters of heartbreak in the podcast version of her live show, originally performed at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre. Each week features a revealing, intimate and joyfully terrible conversation with a different comedian friend, famous-ish person or drunk ex-boyfriend.

Erin McGathy also appears in Dan Harmon's "Harmontown" podcast.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!