Author Topic: and now.....for the rest of the story  (Read 2253 times)

Trembling Eagle

and now.....for the rest of the story
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »
that guy died
radio legend.

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: and now.....for the rest of the story
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »
This is Paul Harvey.

Good day.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
Paul Harvey from Tulsa Oklahoma.  

I remember my dad telling me that Paul Harvey was an old man when my grandmother made listened to him.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:46:12 AM »
I mainly know of Paul Harvey thru Joe Piscopo's imitation of him.

It's pathetic how much of my world knowledge is filtered thru SNL.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »
Not that many people are aware that he had an extensive film career of mostly bit parts, with a few co-starring roles.

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:30888~T2

Jixby Phillips

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »
I used to hear him on the radio every morning on the drive to school, and thought it was so funny to do impressions of him going on about Bose sound systems or V-8 or whatever he was being sponsored by. One story he told I would also "do" was about a man who couldn't find the exit in a grocery store, and asked the cashier where it was, even though it was right behind him. "And that man... (Paul Harvey pause. At this point you begin speculating how this sentence is going to end, fully expecting it to be "And that man was [somebody well known, surprise!]) was reported to be seen... BLUSHING."

PAGE 2. He had a book called THE REST OF THE STORY and I read it during class reading time in 8th grade, just because I would never bring my own book and also it easily findable in the classroom book collection. It always got an easy laugh from friends who would always laugh at the cover, which was just a big smiling photo of Paul. It basically looked like the most boring book ever but it was full of sorta-interesting stories. Like it was the first place I ever read "Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it." or whatever the accurate version of that is.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »
I read a story about Harvey in Reader's Digest in which he boasted about wearing a smock with the ABC logo on it over his suit when he delivered his news. There was a company man for you.