Author Topic: Tom v. Jean Shepherd  (Read 6113 times)

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Tom v. Jean Shepherd
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »
I don't know Jean Shepherd either, but the way you guys describe him sounds interesting.

But in defense of people against old timey garbage: 9 times out of 10, when someone tells me to check out some SUPER EDGY comedian from the 40s, not only is it painfully unfunny, but i get the impression that the person recommending them to me hasn't even listened.

I hear ya. Comedy in particular seems to age poorly, radio comedy even more so. I think Shep's stuff has aged better than most, though.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
Just popping in to give my half cent about getting into Shep...

"The Brass Figlagee" is a bit hard to get into - there is probably too much being released there to get into it in any meaningful way.

So, instead, check out "Mass Backwards".  It's a weekly podcast that culls out some of the fat released through Brass Figlagee. 

http://www.flicklives.com/Mass_Back/

Evan

scratchbomb

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »

"The Brass Figlagee" is a bit hard to get into - there is probably too much being released there to get into it in any meaningful way.

So, instead, check out "Mass Backwards".  It's a weekly podcast that culls out some of the fat released through Brass Figlagee. 

Evan

I concur. Max Schmid (the host) almost always picks a good episode to rerun.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »
Shepherd shows can be funny, brilliant, cozy and interesting... but can also be closed-minded, long winded, and presumptive  -- all in the same show!

I agree, the stuff in the mid 60's are a good place to start. I especially like the air check versions of his shows that include old radio ads and weather and traffic from WOR. It gives it a nice, nostalgic feel.

I can tell you, compared to Shepherd's show, there are a LOT more "W's" than "L's" on the Best Show, but then Shep was doing it every night, not weekly. He was one of the greats, but everyone ain't not unperfect.
"Is this me?"

scratchbomb

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
Shepherd shows can be funny, brilliant, cozy and interesting... but can also be closed-minded, long winded, and presumptive  -- all in the same show!

I agree, the stuff in the mid 60's are a good place to start. I especially like the air check versions of his shows that include old radio ads and weather and traffic from WOR. It gives it a nice, nostalgic feel.

I can tell you, compared to Shepherd's show, there are a LOT more "W's" than "L's" on the Best Show, but then Shep was doing it every night, not weekly. He was one of the greats, but everyone ain't not unperfect.

Totally agree. I think the fact that he was on M-F was a factor in the overall quality, but he also believed his own hype to certain extent, especially later on. At some point, I think he passed over from laughing with ordinary slobs to laughing at them.

I personally think his best shows came from 1963 through 1970 or so. Although I also have a soft spot for the really early stuff form the late 50s and early 60s, which was not nearly as funny but very dark, often creepy. Like Shep's version of The Mike Show.

I love the old ads, too--especially when he would either talk over them. I can't even imagine what would happen to a radio personality today if he dared talk over or make fun of the ads the way Shep did. I remember one for Miller HIgh Life where, as the ad played, he shouted in the background like a loudmouth drunk and started a fake fistfight with imaginary enemies.

Matt C

• Policemans heel
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »

Evan

Thanks so much for posting this.  I work listening to podcasts all day and this one is really great.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
I was trying to figure out what drug had the street name "M-F" and and why it would affect his performance.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

scratchbomb

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 04:10:30 PM »
I was trying to figure out what drug had the street name "M-F" and and why it would affect his performance.

Man, you've never had M-F? It's way better than Blue.