Author Topic: FOT Fitness Challenge  (Read 56633 times)

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
FOT Fitness Challenge
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
Due to some discussion in this thread here (and I'm sure countless other discussions), I would like to propose an as of yet undefined method of working together to achieve fitness goals as FOT's. One of the principles of weight loss as I understand it, is accountability to a public group. Why not be accountable to a group we check in with at least weekly anyhow, who all share a common bond in The Best Show?

Be honest with yourselves. The percentage of TBSOWFMU listeners actually listening to this 3 hour podcast at the gym on their ipods cannot be 100%. I'm guessing the other percentage of listeners aren't exactly doing it for their health. Why not get with the program and shape up now? Let's do it.

Now, if a number of you do turn out to be interested in this and I was lord and master of the rules, it would be an out and out competition more than some sad weight loss support group. However, in these tough economic times I suppose putting money as the the focal point would be a bad idea, not to mention possibly bordering on illegal online gambling. Still, I suppose that wouldn't rule out some kind of point system and home-brew prizes? The real prize, obviously, would be the healthier you, no matter which way it went.

I'm doing my research on this now, but please, chime in with your ideas/interest!

Andy

• Space Champion!
Re: FOT Fitness Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
in
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »
im in...but without the money.  im all for FOT-made prizes though.  ill have ideas at some point.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
In.  I've been between 3-10 pounds overweight (my weight fluctuates a LOT) for years.  I offer up whatever bullshit thing I put in the FOT barter thread and will accept whatever bullshit (or non-bullshit) things that are offered.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »
In.  I've been between 3-10 pounds overweight (my weight fluctuates a LOT) for years.  I offer up whatever bullshit thing I put in the FOT barter thread and will accept whatever bullshit (or non-bullshit) things that are offered.

Me too.
I am not overweight, but I do need some major accountability in eating right and being healthy in general. My eating habits are HORRIBLE. I will be totally glad to help in any way.
Maybe we can have specific partners that we trade emails with, so we can keep each other accountable. Like, my partner could email me and ask, "So did you eat 3 meals today? Were they healthy?" and some such, and I could do the same with them, asking about whatever weakness they have.
Or as far as exercise, "How much did you walk/run today?"
Just an idea. I am not sure where prizes would fit in, though.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

hugman

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:23:22 AM »
I'm all for supporting this and offering help.  My wife is a pilates instructor and nutritional counselor and actually offers a weightloss product that addresses your subconscious thought patterns that keep you from reaching your weight loss goals. Because being overweight is almost always a symptom of some underlying issue.

Four of the biggest things you can do to help your body lose weight are:
1)eat real food.  the fewer ingredients in your food the better.  the body can't process the actual food when it's busy filtering out all those chemicals.  If you're lucky enough to have a farmers market near you, it's a great way to eat organic more affordably.  I buy my grass-fed, pasture-raised, organic ground beef from the hollywood farmers market and it's $4 A POUND.  And when you eat it, it's like getting in a time machine and going back to the 70s.  It literally tastes like a different time. It's amazing. Also cut high fructose corn syrup out of your diet as completely as you can.  And don't switch to aspartame. That's just another nasty chemical.  Just cut out soda.  You'll be better off.

2)Cut out (or at least drastically reduce) your alcohol intake (as I type this I'm drinking a whiskey and soda but I'm generally really good on all the other points so I can allow myself this luxury).  Healthy liver function is essential to losing weight. If you drink a lot you are severely handicapping yourself.  Your liver can't process anything else until it deals with the alcohol.  If you cut it out or at least reduce it you will notice a difference.

3)Drink tons of water.  You want your body working at optimum performance and you have to be hydrated for that to happen.

4)Lift weights. Yes, Trembling Eagle was right.  Lifting weights is one of the quickest ways to burn fat and it also stokes your basal (resting) metabolic rate, meaning the calories you burn while reading the FOT forums.  If you're working out a lot you will find yourself hungry a lot. This is a good thing. If you're hungry thoughout the day it means your metabolism is speeding up.  IF this is happening you should eat many small meals as opposed to two or three big ones.

GO TEAM.

OH, and put lots of loud, fast rock'n'roll on your zunes!  hip hop is nice in the weight room, too.

Also, if anyone out there just needs to drop a couple pounds and wants to get a six pack, I have a men's health video that I tried and totally worked.  Let me know (pm) and I'll sendspace it to you.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 02:50:03 AM »

OH, and put lots of loud, fast rock'n'roll on your zunes!  hip hop is nice in the weight room, too.

I like to get emotional when I lift

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXvEX9Ebcc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qNG8AWTKw[/youtube]

and of course

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksOD2tYSio[/youtube]

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »
3-10 pounds overweight. 

Brats.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
Well, I don't foresee it getting better as I get older.  And I was probably hedging a little - it was easily 15 before I cut out the beer.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
In! And I weigh 627 pounds, so let's do raw scores and not %'s. I could lose 10 pounds bending over to pick up that cupcake I dropped.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
I like this idea.
I could stand to lose 10-15.
Lets do it., (whatever it is)
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
EDIT: I need to gain muscle and get in better shape in general.  I want to improve my long distance running and weight lifting abilities.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
all of hugman's points are things ive tried to bring into my life in the last month (im up to THREE miles on the treadmill- a small victory!).  they seem to be "working", although ive run into some snags like being sick for a week or no gas money to make it to the gym (id walk around the neighborhood but its shady).

when i was sick this past week, i hardly ate or drank any fluids (i was too busy sleeping) and i can feel myself becoming more lethargic merely from watching television now.  im not hungry nearly as often, but im trying to fix that.  im also making up for all the water i didnt drink.  at any rate, my biggest meal is breakfast, from there, i snack all day.  if the hunger still wont dissipate, i drink more water; it usually goes away at that point. 

Thomas, i support this.  it's a fitness challenge, not stop-being-a-fatty challenge.  throw your hat in there, son. 

KickTheBobo

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
if anyone wants to lose weight, here's how:

Breakfast: peel & freeze some bananas in a ziploc. Blend with strawberries, blueberries, cantalope (this can vary) with 1/2 soy milk 1/2 apple juice. drink it.

Lunch: find a juice bar (not a fake Jamba Juice place, maybe find one at a gym) and drink the largest pure green vegetable juice they will make you (kale, parsley, cucumber, anything green, have some carrot in there too.)

Dinner: don't pig out

Exercise: walk a mile a day at first, gradually get up 5 miles after some time. use an Ipod and listen to TBS podcasts to entertain yourself.

you will see results soon, and in 3 months you will feel better than you ever have. Keep doing it until you are happy with how you look and feel.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
It would all be so easy if gyms weren't such bacteria-ridden, depressing hellpits.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.