Author Topic: FOT Fitness Challenge  (Read 56795 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: FOT Fitness Challenge
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »
EDIT: I need to gain muscle and get in better shape in general.  I want to improve my long distance running and weight lifting abilities.

I want to be able to lift my leg off the ground without having to cup my hands behind my knee first.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
It would all be so easy if gyms weren't such bacteria-ridden, depressing hellpits.

they require you to bring a towel, which i do, but i also bring wipes for pre-cleaning the equipment.  ive seen people working out without a towel, sweat all over the equipment, then get up and leave like they didnt just leave a garbage pile of germs behind (watch a lysol commercial much, dont look like ya do).  im no dummy, i wipe everything down BEFORE/AFTER i use it.  

as far as depressing, this is VERY VERY true, no matter how much best show ive got.  on those days ill kick it up with kanye or ted leo or like last nite, the turtles.  

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
You don't need a gym membership.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »
I really need to get in shape. I don't feel like I live a super unhealthy life, but it's getting worse, I can feel it. I most definitely need to do something about this gut. It's getting out of hand. My lowpoint (hopefully) was last week, when I was on a Swedish chat show talking about my documentary - afterwards I couldn't watch it. So horrifying. Things need to change.

Over the last year or so, I've cut back (entirely or almost entirely) on sodas, candy, sugar in my tea, etc. I try to eat healthy, I cook my own food, try (and mostly fail) to eat more fruits and vegetables. So that's good.

The key to me getting healthier is, without a doubt, exercise. I don't think I'll ever go to a gym, not primarily because of social and/or hygenic reasons, but because of this depressing reason: money. I can't afford a membership. I also rule out outdoor running. (Walks are fine.) So that leaves home exercise. I'm looking at exercise bikes. They're also expensive, but not as expensive as gyms, and a bike will provide me with this ideal scenario: making the exercise a part of my normal morning regime. Get up, hop on the bike for 30 mins, get on with the day. Because as we all know, exercise is such a HASSLE. (Inexpensive home exercise tips are welcome.)

I don't feel like entering a fitness challenge as such, but I will use this thread for good advice and hopefully peptalks and updates on how everybody's doing.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »
I'm on weight watchers and doing comcast "exercise tv" aerobics in my living room on an exercise mat. (the cats HATE it and they try to trip me/kill me by running under my legs) It's the first time I've exercised in my life and I really enjoy it. I've been doing that for the past week or so, three times a week. And I try to take long long walks another 1-2 days per week.

I just started WW this week. I have about 15lbs that has been haunting me for the last 3-4 years.

I'll let y'all know how it's going. So far I really like the points system and I don't feel hungry.

Skinny Cow fudge bars are my saving grace.
from the land of pleasant living

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
I've never really worked out from a "getting toned" standpoint, all I really care about is keeping the spare tire off and feeling good.  I wear a Polar heart rate monitor when I exercise and keep tabs on how many calories I burn with that.  I know the absolute number is probably not accurate but I use it as a relative gauge from workout to workout.  In a good workout I try to hit 600, on a bike ride I try to hit 1000.  We have a cheapo treadmill we got for $450 off of QVC, i'd never buy a cheap elliptical machine but it's kind of hard to mess up the mechanics of a treadmill.  It's nice to have as backup when I mentally can't take the gym.  Our gym has a yoga class that my wife and I attend which I really enjoy even as a tall awkward guy. 

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
losing weight is surely a "different strokes for different folks" kind of thing.  especially measurements.  in the last month, ive lost weight merely from exercising and eating better.  how much weight, you ask?  i have NO idea.

i dont use scales because i have no knowledge of things like possible weight gain that is either muscle (yay!) or that's-what-you-get-for-eating-nachos-for-dinner-last-nite fat so i measure using my clothes.  so far, ive had to buy a new pair of jeans, donate some shirts, and buy new shirts.  im feeling good.

im glad this thread now exists (for however long). 

emma

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
I accidentally stopped going to the gym and i feel gross as a result!
And by "accidentally" I mean I have the dumbest reason ever; I lent my gym shoes to some girl a few weeks ago and she still hasn't given them back.

Sarah

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
I think I may hate you all. 

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
Hey man I'm just trying to live a little longer.

while still smoking. for now.
from the land of pleasant living

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
I started walking around my neighborhood back in August, then gradually worked up to a jog. The biggest thing is just commitment. If you can commit yourself to doing something even when you don't want to, whether it be eating healthy or exercise, you will eventually feel so much better. And walking/jogging is such a great stress-reliever. I hate gyms...running outside at least gives me something to look at, and I can feel the effects of the weather-so it's not an artificial feeling like the gym.Plus, it's free. :)
I like to listen to acoustic music when I run. It is pretty calming.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
I think this is a terrific idea!

Now, I think we should post pictures of our big FOT bellies. You know, for my collection posterity!
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
I eat well, forswearing sodas and fast food.  I also take walks on most days and do yoga once a week, but I'm still about 15 pounds of gut/neck fat removed from my high school years. 
It might have something to do with my heroic beer intake. (Don't judge)

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
I have almost always had weight issues. I exercise now not to be in shape, that's an added benefit, but because I want to be able to run and do pull-ups. I actually got good at running a year and a half ago. I was able to do a mile in under 6:30 after months of training, BUT THEN WINTER CAME. Now I own a tread mill and am up down to a mile in 8:40. I got a ways to go. I also run more than a mile at a time, so that affects my speed.

I guess what I want is to be able to survive a post-apocalyptic scenario. I want to be the literal manifestation of cowardice so that I can run away from things by foot, on a bike, and up a wall with a grappling hook.

Sarah

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
I want to be at ground zero.