Author Topic: Where are you on the political spectrum?  (Read 11850 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: Where are you on the political spectrum?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Sarah

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
So you're Stalin, Gandhi, Thatcher, Friedman, and Hitler all rolled up into one delightful package, Andy?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
Apparently, I'm closest to the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela. That isn't too bad.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Your wish is granted, AM Thomas.

Economic Left/Right: 5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Bunch of commies.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »
Wow. Lotta loaded questions in that survey.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56

No surprises there.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
These little quizzes are push polls.  You can reword the questions and get different results.

I like this test: http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/check.htm

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
The one we've been doing, I believe, pushes you toward the Libertarian end of the spectrum.  But it should be directionally correct.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Wow. Lotta loaded questions in that survey.

Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races
All people have their rights, but it is better for all of us that different sorts of people should keep to their own kind.
People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce
Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers

I thought these were the hardest.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
My tension quotient:

Tension Quotient = 7%

I may be wrong about literally everything, but at least I'm consistent.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
I'm at 13% - still more consistent than the average slob!

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »
I disagree with the terms of the tension test.  But by its lights I am average.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:33 PM »
I have a TQ of 13%.

"You agreed that:
Judgements about works of art are purely matters of taste
And also that:
Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists

The tension here is the result of the fact that you probably don't believe the status of Michaelangelo is seriously in doubt. One can disagree about who is the best artist of all time, but surely Michaelangelo is on the short list. Yet if this is true, how can judgements about works of art be purely matters of taste? If someone unskilled were to claim that they were as good an artist as Michaelangelo, you would probably think that they were wrong, and not just because your tastes differ. You would probably think Michaelangelo's superiority to be not just a matter of personal opinion. The tension here is between a belief that works of art can be judged, in certain respects, by some reasonably objective standards and the belief that, nonetheless, the final arbiter of taste is something subjective. This is not a contradiction, but a tension nonetheless."

I don't agree with their analysis.  On the one hand, I think art is a matter of taste.  In applying my taste, I think Michaelangelo is pretty good.  How is that a tension?

Questions 1 and 27: Is morality relative?

65117 of the 147466 people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

The tension between these two beliefs is that, on the one hand, you are saying that morality is just a matter of culture and convention, but on the other, you are prepared to condemn acts of genocide as 'evil'. But what does it mean to say 'genocide is evil'? To reconcile the tension, you could say that all you mean is that to say 'genocide is evil' is to express the values of your particular culture. It does not mean that genocide is evil for all cultures and for all times. However, are you really happy to say, for example, that the massacre of the Tutsi people in 1994 by the Hutu dominated Rwandan Army was evil from the point of view of your culture but not evil from the point of view of the Rwandan Army, and what is more, that there is no sense in which one moral judgement is superior to the other? If moral judgements really are 'merely the expression of the values of a particular culture', then how are the values which reject genocide and torture at all superior to those which do not?

I think this goes wrong when they add "and what is more, that there is no sense in which one moral judgement is superior to the other."  Sure there is:  my moral judgement is superior because it's fucking mine.  What else can you say?  Galactic energy beings wouldn't really give a shit about mammalian genocides on some obscure planet.

Sarah

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Yup, my problems were similar, yesno.  Here's my list:

1. I can believe there are no objective moral standards yet possess my own subjective standards.  When I say I believe genocide is bad, I'm not claiming that what I believe is universal.

2. The same holds for believing that it is always wrong to take another life yet having no problems with taking some lives.  For example, I think abortion is murder, but I'm completely in favor of it.

3.  I can consider atheism is a belief system because it requires the atheist to be certain about something that is unprovable, and that, in my view, requires faith.

4.  How does my belief that judgments about art are matters of taste conflict with my personal opinion that Michelangelo is a good artist?  Once more, I'm not attributing universal truth to my belief.

moonshake

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Keith Whitener

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
I am not on the spectrum because I'm a pragmatist.