Author Topic: Yo La Tengo + Todd Barry  (Read 5388 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
Yo La Tengo + Todd Barry
« on: January 06, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »
Jan 31 at Studio A in Miami.

Laurie you goin'? And is this pairing common???
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

Re: Yo La Tengo + Todd Barry
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
Hey, maybe I will go! His first "cool" concert was at the Sunrise Musical Theatre, according to the Kittenpants interview. My first "not cool" concert was at the Sunrise Musical Theatre. It was Kriss Kross. And then I saw Soundgarden at the same theatre with my brother and his friend. And then my brother and I went to Lollapalooza with our mom and experienced second-hand pot smoke for the very first time, courtesy of two hippie scumwad broads sitting behind us on a blanket. I usually just tell people that my first concert was The Cramps at the Cameo Theatre, which was on the same street as a gajillion sex shops and strip joints. (My favorite sex shop, though, is this little gay sex shop just south of Lincoln Road and Epicure, Miami's best grocery store. I've never been in this sex shop, but I passed by it several times during the holidays on the way to Epicure, and its window was decorated in a traditional Christmas style with copious amounts of fake snow, a little Christmas tree, and a cute little snowman. Seriously, they didn't even have buttplugs adorning the tree, it was just plain old round ornaments, stuff you cannot put up your butt. I love that, but I would've loved the buttplug tree just as much or maybe a little more.) The Cameo Theatre is now Crobar, a sucky club that I think Lenny Kravitz is connected to somehow. I don't know. It's a stupid chain. They have one in Chicago. I'm sure that one sucks, too.

If they solicit requests, I'm going to yell for "Speeding Motorcycle."

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:13:19 AM »
My favorite sex shop, though, is this little gay sex shop just south of Lincoln Road and Epicure, Miami's best grocery store. I've never been in this sex shop, but I passed by it several times during the holidays on the way to Epicure, and its window was decorated in a traditional Christmas style with copious amounts of fake snow, a little Christmas tree, and a cute little snowman. Seriously, they didn't even have buttplugs adorning the tree, it was just plain old round ornaments, stuff you cannot put up your butt. I love that, but I would've loved the buttplug tree just as much or maybe a little more.

I went to Venice once for a class during Intersession (aka the first two weeks of January). Before the trip the professor leading the group (for whom I now work [not dangling prepositions sounds stupid sometimes]) kept talking to me about this "Gay Joseph" statue off a piazza in Venice that is such a sophisticated, emotional, and challenging version of Jesus' "dad" that it makes everyone who sees rethink the entire notion of the virgin birth. Turns out it was a display in a sex shop window with a male mannequin wearing a studded leather g-string holding a halo-ed baby mannequin.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
Oh, I took a summer abroad course once all over the United Kingdom and Europe. I wound up getting so fucking stoned with my professor and his flaming TA in Dublin. I won't tell you his name, but he's hilarious, and I would recommend his Western cinema course.

ALSO!!! Priestess is coming to Culture Room, Jan. 26. I am so fucking excited. I'm going to strap on my cloven-hoofed boots, and I will not be using my flatiron. Oh man, I've been wanting to see these assholes play live for a while now.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
ALSO!!! Priestess is coming to Culture Room, Jan. 26. I am so fucking excited. I'm going to strap on my cloven-hoofed boots, and I will not be using my flatiron. Oh man, I've been wanting to see these assholes play live for a while now.

They're playing with MASTODON!!!

John Junk

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:35:45 PM »
Seriously, they didn't even have buttplugs adorning the tree, it was just plain old round ornaments, stuff you cannot put up your butt

But all stuff that's great for "sounding".  okay, maybe not.

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »
Seriously, they didn't even have buttplugs adorning the tree, it was just plain old round ornaments, stuff you cannot put up your butt

But all stuff that's great for "sounding".  okay, maybe not.

Maybe the tinsel... If you freeze-dried it.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »
REPORT COMING SOON

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:04:15 PM »
OMG IT WAS REALLY GOOD.

ALSO, JOSH AND I HAVE MUTUAL ACQUAINTANCES.

ALSO, WHY AM I SHOUTING?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 11:30:10 PM »
The day began with Laurie private messaging me (via this very board) her own personal cellular telephone number. Sounds great, right? As my dear pal Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!" Two hours later (after apparently feeling some remorse), she decides to come clean and messages me again with her actual current working cell number (the other one was her old number -- YEARS old folks). Then, she calls me around 5PM, saying that the show is sold out but one could try waiting in line at about 7 to try to be lucky enough to attempt to get a ticket. TRY AGAIN LAURIE! I bought my ticket Sunday at Sweat Records; you can't escape me! I show up sporting my Newbridge Is for Lovers tshirt, the agreed upon dress code, saunter up near the stage, and spot my tiny Asian friend Sticky Rice (shown here with Otto Von Schirach), surrounded, as usual, by a pack of hangers on of all types. And by all types, I mean ALL TYPES OF FOTS, because sitting next to my friend of several years is none other than our very own Laurie!!! Turns out we have several mutual pals, most relating to our nonconcurrent tenures at 90.5 WVUM (The Voice of the University of Miami). During the evening, Laurie hit all the beats one would expect: WFMU record fair, S&M, Venn diagrams, goatse, Joe Francis; she even used "Seance" instead of "Beyonce" for my benefit. She was, however, a little reluctant when I asked where on the beach she lived (understandable).

Todd Barry was very funny despite mic troubles throughout his set (as if his comedy stylings weren't already poorly suited to a rock club). He did a lot of material from Falling Off the Bone and the Comedy Central Presents special. Solid stuff, and he did some crowd work too!
Chick: Smoke weed every day!
Todd Barry (to audience): Yes, and you'll end up like her. (This led seamlessly into his legalize pot/arrest potheads bit.)
He also chastised someone for working at Radio Shack. Laurie said, "I think he means Radio Hut." It was awesome.

Yo La Tengo then came out and played a bunch of songs from their new record I Am Not a Lawyer But I Will Represent Your Ass, a handful of classics, and a few covers. I'm not great with track names, so it's up to Laurie to chip in with a set list. They rocked so hard; I was really digging it (head nodding and awkward dancing in place). Amazingly, YLT had never played in the Magic City before. Apparently at every annual shareholders meeting, they would ask themselves if they should play Miami in the upcoming year. Until 2007, the answer was, unfailingly, "It's too soon. We're not ready." Although there was some allusion to the upcoming BIG GAME, it is more likely that they were auditioning for a spot on the main stage at Castro's shiva (date TBD). They exited after a strong set, promising to see us in another 22 years, but the crowd demanded sweet satisfaction. They retook the stage for one encore and then another(!), at one point joined on drums by the one and only Todd Barry for "an old Jewish folk song" my gentle gentile ears could not identify.

After the show had ended, I made human contact with Mr. Barry, asking him how his recent dinner with Louis CK went. He laughed and said, "Good."

END

Laurie

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:45:25 AM »
DUDE. The "Jewish folk song" was "Jeepster," originally recorded by the great Jewish folk band T. Rex. There's a reason Tzadik released a Marc Bolan edition of their Great Jewish Music series. You should listen to nothing but klezmer music for two weeks straight. That oughta teach you.

Also, you apparently left before the third encore. I'm so happy I procured a ginger ale before I left. YLT came back onstage, played another song, a song about Indianapolis because Pitchfork says Chicago is greater than Indianapolis, and a great VU cover to close out the show. Colin and Adam and that girl whose name I forget who was there with Adam remained behind.

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 08:48:37 AM »
Great post, arcu.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
Also, you apparently left before the third encore. YLT came back onstage, played another song, a song about Indianapolis because Pitchfork says Chicago is greater than Indianapolis, and a great VU cover to close out the show.
I didn't leave. I just can't count. I think they were ripping the Miami New Times for this article.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
Congratulations on bringing Lee Corso into the FOT world.  "...wwwwshoooop...  [shakes pen]  not so fast, my friend!"
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!