Author Topic: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation  (Read 136029 times)

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
I think your review of Hotter than Hell needs some revision. Yeah, the production is kinda shitty but songs like Goin' Blind, Got to Choose, Parasite, Hotter than Hell - these are all great tunes. Okay I haven't listened to side 2 yet but still. Side 1 alone is totally bad-ass. You said the live versions were better but what if it was 1972 and you hadn't heard the live versions yet? You would love this.

Going Blind alone should catapult it to the top of the Kiss list. It's pretty, it's heavy, and it's creepy, all at the same time.

-Ajax

Ajax,

You make some good points.  I thought my overall review of Hotter than Hell was positive, despite the fact that it sounds like - and in fact WAS - recorded partly in a toilet.

I've expressed my great fondness for "Goin' Blind."  I would put it in my personal KISS top 5, along with "Black Diamond" and "Mr. Speed."  "Parasite" is up there, too, and "Got to Choose" is very good.

As for pretending I hadn't heard Alive!, that would be counter to the whole purpose of the reviews, man.  The whole point was to re-review them today and discuss them in that context. 

You should try side 2, though.

Hotter than Hell is still a recommended album, but the versions of the songs on Alive! are just much better (probably had more studio work, too, which, you know).

I only mention it because I am working my way through the catalog as well, for the first time. I haven't heard the live albums yet, and Kiss (s/t) and Hotter than Hell are both pretty much amazing in their own right!

-Ajax

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
I only mention it because I am working my way through the catalog as well, for the first time. I haven't heard the live albums yet, and Kiss (s/t) and Hotter than Hell are both pretty much amazing in their own right!

-Ajax

Excellent - you are in for some real treats until you get to 1978!  Then again in 1982.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Julie

« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
buffcoat, when you finally finish these I'm going to quit smoking.

I'm not kidding.

McPhee, our early contretemps over "Shout it Out Loud" aside, you're the most stalwart of the KISS: Album-by-Album posting crew.  I can't hurry the process of finishing the solo albums (and the new tracks from KILLERZ), but I can wish you the greatest of luck in giving up the foul weed.

I do have a suggestion if you want to quit earlier, and I'm quite sincere.  Purchase "Easy Thing," "Kiss the Girl Goodbye," and dear God "I Can't Stop the Rain" from your local MP3 store, and listen to them every time you take a first drag on a cigarette.  You will build negative associations that will take a lifetime to undo.

How will you feel, Buffcoat, if mcphee keeps smoking but develops very bad taste?

Julie, I am confident enough in how horrible those three songs are that McPhee will be completely safe from liking them.

I was one time convinced that I could listen to Muskrat Love over and over again to irritate someone who deserved to be irritated. Then I started liking that song. That made it easier to be irritating, but it also opened the floodgate for a lot of other horrible songs that I shouldn't like. I no longer have the best taste in music!
I have a long history of booing

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
With all due respect to fans, isn't Kiss essentially shore trash with money?

mostlymeat

« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »

Kiss are four guys with only a modicum of talent but a relentless drive to succeed who worked hard and created an awesome spectacle that captured the imaginations of millions over the course of 3 decades!

And this dunkin' donuts commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9tlj3xBf5w

-Ajax

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »

Shore trash doesn't come from the city, Goober.

Plus, AHEM, if it's too loud, you're too old.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »

Kiss are four guys with only a modicum of talent but a relentless drive to succeed who worked hard and created an awesome spectacle that captured the imaginations of millions over the course of 3 decades!

And this dunkin' donuts commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9tlj3xBf5w

-Ajax

I could listen to Ace slur "I'll give you the P&L statement" over and over again for a week.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2009, 02:38:02 AM »
I bet paul and gene made about 100k on that commercial while ace only managed a couple sips of that latte when Gene had his back turned
My mommy made me boots.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2009, 06:00:19 AM »
I bet paul and gene made about 100k on that commercial while ace only managed a couple sips of that latte when Gene had his back turned

Gene charged him for those sips later after reviewing the tapes with a magnifying glass.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:26 AM »

Shore trash doesn't come from the city, Goober.

Plus, AHEM, if it's too loud, you're too old.

I'm a Blue Oyster Cult fan, you Kiss-a-dummy. It don't get no louder.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »
Top of the list for the non-essential KISS album reviews, the forthcoming Sonic Boom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Boom_(Kiss_album)

- Stare in disbelief at the early 90's style cover design!

- Give thanks to Gene that you won't have to pay import price for Jigoku-Retsuden

- Puzzle over whether "Modern Day Delilah" is a tribute to the late night soft rock DJ.

- (briefly) Think better of Gene & Paul for giving Eric and Tommy each a chance to sing a song on the album

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
You'll note that the re-recorded greatest hits album features exactly two songs since 1982. 

1974-1982 = 9 years, 13 songs
1983-1984 = 2 years, 2 songs
1985-2009 = 15 years, zero songs

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
Did youse KISS fans hear about the special show they're doing at Cobo arena in Detroit before it gets torn down?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »
What KISS fans are you referring to, Auntie?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »
What KISS fans are you referring to, Auntie?

Sorry, I meant "fans".

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?