Author Topic: 1-800-WHAT-THE?  (Read 3503 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
1-800-WHAT-THE?
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »
Call 1-800-COMCAST and listen to the greeting (you can hang up after that). 

Did someone get hit on the head before they came up with this idea/pairing?
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: 1-800-WHAT-THE?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »
DO IT. Call that number! What could have been less likely? "This is Ruth Bader Ginsburg and this is Andrew Dice Clay."

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »
Exactly.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
DO IT. Call that number! What could have been less likely? "This is Ruth Bader Ginsburg and this is Andrew Dice Clay."

"This is Aimee Mann."

"And THIS IS lay-ree."

breadharrity

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
wow, was there silence for 25 seconds before that for everyone else, but yeah it's worth calling

Come on, Jason

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
"This is Chad Smith from Chickenfoot  ...and this is Deepak Chopra.   Thank you for calling Comcast."

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ScWtuGZ_g

Wow. Comcast is assuming people have seen that ad before they call. Odd assumption. For those who have not seen it, the phonecall gives the impression that Comcast is dabbling in dada poetry.

P.S. Ben Stein's a raging yutzknuckle. I wish he was handcuffed to a starved wolverine.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Ben Stein will always have my respect for being a writer on one of the greatest television shows known to man, Fernwood 2-Night.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »
Ben Stein will always have my respect for being a writer on one of the greatest television shows known to man, Fernwood 2-Night.

Are you joking? I mean that literally; I don't mean to call your sanity into question. I'm just not sure if you're serious. I barely remember that show, just remember that it seemed peculiar. And peculiarity is often really interesting. For all I can recall, it might have been good, but it sounds like a seriously offbeat recommendation out of another era.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »
it sounds like a seriously offbeat recommendation out of another era.

Is that bad or distasteful?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:16:20 AM »

Are you joking? I mean that literally; I don't mean to call your sanity into question. I'm just not sure if you're serious. I barely remember that show, just remember that it seemed peculiar. And peculiarity is often really interesting. For all I can recall, it might have been good, but it sounds like a seriously offbeat recommendation out of another era.

In fact, this is not Ben Stein.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0825498/

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »

I'm dead serious. I am prone to hyperbole, but not in this instance. It's probably my second favorite comedy show after SCTV. It's a cult show, for sure. However, it was hilarious. I discovered it in reruns on Nick at Nite when I was younger.

I don't agree with Ben Stein on much politically. In fact, I don't find him to be all that funny. But I stand by my original statement.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »

I'm dead serious. I am prone to hyperbole, but not in this instance. It's probably my second favorite comedy show after SCTV. It's a cult show, for sure. However, it was hilarious. I discovered it in reruns on Nick at Nite when I was younger.

I don't agree with Ben Stein on much politically. In fact, I don't find him to be all that funny. But I stand by my original statement.

But, again, Ben Stein did NOT write for Fernwood 2Nite.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »

But, again, Ben Stein did NOT write for Fernwood 2Nite.

Technically, you are correct Dave. He didn't WRITE for Fernwood 2 Night. But he is credited as the co-creator of and as a creative consultant for the show. So he had to have some type of input over the day-to-day content of the show. However, for some reason this isn't listed on IMDB. He is listed in the closing credits for the show, though. Look for "Benjamin Stein" in the video below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1q5h7Zo6aM[/youtube]

But really, who cares?