Author Topic: "Dead Like Me" on Hulu  (Read 2717 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
"Dead Like Me" on Hulu
« on: July 05, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
Hulu's got all the Showtime episodes of "Dead Like Me" on their site (I think it's all of them).

I watched five minutes of the pilot episode and had to bail. Very annoying DiabloCody-style writing, with lots of stupid pop-culture stuff. The expository part included a reference to the fucking Budweiser frog commercials. Yeah, that's really gonna resonate with people watching this thing 10 years down the road.

Is there any reason to give this show a second chance?
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: "Dead Like Me" on Hulu
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
 I'd say there might be because people love the shit out of it. I tried to get into it with the pilot and couldn't as well. I think it tried to be too witty, or something. I also watched Pushing Daisies for awhile but had to give up. My brain felt like my teeth would after eating a billion pixie sticks. The show tries so damn hard to be quirky and cutesy and sweet that after like six episodes it began to repulse me.

But people love them some Brian Fuller. You might want to try Wonderfalls, as that's another Fuller series people love to death.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
Is there any reason to give this show a second chance?

I'm thinkin Patinkin.

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
I'd say there might be because people love the shit out of it. I tried to get into it with the pilot and couldn't as well. I think it tried to be too witty, or something. I also watched Pushing Daisies for awhile but had to give up. My brain felt like my teeth would after eating a billion pixie sticks. The show tries so damn hard to be quirky and cutesy and sweet that after like six episodes it began to repulse me.

But people love them some Brian Fuller. You might want to try Wonderfalls, as that's another Fuller series people love to death.

Yeah, I've been wanting to rent pushing daisies, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I'm going to give Wonderfalls a try.  What do people think about Breaking Bad?
veni dixie vici

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
If the choice is between Breaking Bad and any other TV show, choose Breaking Bad.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
 Yeah, breaking bad is incredible. Except I'm not too sure I like the way the second season ended.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
The only good part of Dead Like Me was seeing how they'd kill somebody (morbid but true). The characters were annoying and the subplots were boring.

MattJohnson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:51:32 AM »
I remember being a huge fan of this show when it was airing on Showtime and I was 15—enough even to buy the DVDs—but I have always feared revisiting it since I'm reasonably sure I'd hate it. Same with Wonderfalls, actually. But I currently love Pushing Daisies, so maybe I'm not giving Fuller and me-in-the-past enough credit. I do know that regardless of how I feel about the show, I will never watch the direct-to-DVD movie that just came out recently, though. Half the cast didn't show up, and I tend to believe they knew something I didn't.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
If the choice is between Breaking Bad and any other TV show, choose Breaking Bad.

its brief connection to best week ever with PFT is enough to jump on board, even to dip your toe.

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
The only good part of Dead Like Me was seeing how they'd kill somebody (morbid but true). The characters were annoying and the subplots were boring.

I agree, the show is cute and that's about it. I watch through the first 6 or so episodes and had to stop because there was nothing interesting happening with the characters. It's entertaining, but not great.