Author Topic: Underrated albums...  (Read 21855 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Underrated albums...
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
I almost never listen to 80's R.E.M. anymore, but every now and then I'll put on New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I'm listening to Chronic Town right now.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »
I almost never listen to 80's R.E.M. anymore, but every now and then I'll put on New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I liked that album a lot, too, but at the time I don't remember too many REM fans liking it too much. I think the song with Patti Smith is great. 

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
My roommate threw in The Doors' Soft Parade last night and I forgot how good that album is.  I love the transition from Wild Child to Runnin' Blue.

argyle

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
I totally agree that Basehead's Play With Toys and Cope's Peggy Suicide should get more love, but they were two very well-reviewed and received albums when they came out...they just got lost in time, and subsequently awful releases on Basehead's part.

A couple of my choices:

Morrissey, Bona Drag. I think his releases get marginalized b/c of the Smiths' output, and b/c his fans can be irritating, but as an overall product I think Bona Drag is underrated...the deep tracks are all good etc. etc. etc. Easy to listen to over and over...

Savoy Brown,  Pure Sienna.  How come nobody every talks about this album?  It's weirdly funky, good songs, summer album, best product from a marginal band...never hear any of the tracks in any movies/radio etc. although they're entertaining, has that weird "slightly poppy songs about devastating drug abuse" thing that everyone points out as a plus for Steely Dan...

The Spinnanes, Manos.  Just a solid, overlooked indie release...

Joan of Arc, The Gap. Breaking up the cd tracks in the middle of the songs was pretentious as hell, but the songs themselves are pretty good. There's a nice ambiance and a sweetness to the songs.  Also, every person at Pitchfork needs to get punched, hard, for the sustained character assassination they've been doing on Tim Kinsella for the last six years.  That guy is totally stand-up, super nice...

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
Some other people worth your time that you may not know: Rheostatics, Baby Bird, Mysteries of Life, Steve Tibbetts, Chagall Guevara

Dave - you like Mysteries of Life? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I was a member for the recording of the first album, then parted ways. I had no idea they had a Knoxville fan base.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »
Joan of Arc, The Gap. Breaking up the cd tracks in the middle of the songs was pretentious as hell, but the songs themselves are pretty good. There's a nice ambiance and a sweetness to the songs.  Also, every person at Pitchfork needs to get punched, hard, for the sustained character assassination they've been doing on Tim Kinsella for the last six years.  That guy is totally stand-up, super nice...

I love my Cap'n Jazz double-disc. 

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 02:59:13 PM »
Ten Spot by Shudder To Think.

Pony Express is one of my faves of all time, but I feel like that's got enough credit.

I'm gonna say Get Your Goat is the most underrated!

You may be right.  Like if they stopped with that one and hadn't picked up Nathan Larson, I feel like they may have been LEGENDARY in a certain way, instead of like a love-it-or-hate-it-or-like-it-and-sometimes-be-embarrassed-by-it band.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »
I really like New Radiant Storm King.

I have maybe 4 albums and all are good, but I don't know anyone else that digs em.

Jeremy Egnick's Return of the Frog Queen is a great album that deserves some props too.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

bruce

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »

I have maybe 4 albums and all are good, but I don't know anyone else that digs em.

They along with Girls Against Boys seemed like they were opening for countless bands I went to see.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »

Jeremy Egnick's Return of the Frog Queen is a great album that deserves some props too.

I like New Radiant Storm King but didn't really like their latest album. I did however really like Jeremy Enigk's World Waits.

argyle

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »
Hurricane Necklace is my favorite NRSK album, aside from the Silver Jews stuff they played on.

Jeremy Enigk's album is great, too...it's also been ripped off so many times it's not even funny. Although I can't think of a solid example off the top of my head...

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »
Some other people worth your time that you may not know: Rheostatics, Baby Bird, Mysteries of Life, Steve Tibbetts, Chagall Guevara

Dave - you like Mysteries of Life? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I was a member for the recording of the first album, then parted ways. I had no idea they had a Knoxville fan base.

I don't know about a fan base, but I like Keep a Secret a lot.

Man Machine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »

I don't know about a fan base, but I like Keep a Secret a lot.
That's the one. I'm glad you enjoy something I had a part in!

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2008, 06:53:40 PM »
Two late, great terribly underrated bands - American Music Club (representative album: "Everclear"), and Thelonious Monster (album "Stormy Weather"). 

American Music Club are back together and touring.  I believe they recently put out an album on Merge.

benadian

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
these ones have been on my mind lately:

Pavement - Terror Twilight
The Move - Looking On
Butterfly Joe - selftitled
Television Personalities - My Dark Places
Pain - Full Speed Ahead
Rocket From the Crypt - RFTC