Author Topic: Film Scoring  (Read 1832 times)

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
Film Scoring
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
Hey folks,

(apologies in advance if this is totally out of place... but I figured it couldn't hurt)

I know a lot of folks here are film-makery types... perhaps you'd consider bringing on a FOT to score your next film project?

Here's a link to some audio samples of things I've worked on:

http://www.adamblau.com/Site/Music.html

Note: Upon request, I can certainly try to make the music to your next project sound like a cross between Mother 13 and "Porcupine Pie" (read: guaranteed smash hit).

Thanks, and sorry bout the shameless shilling.

Adam

KickTheBobo

Re: Film Scoring
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
I checked out some of your tunes, it's great stuff! Film scoring has always been my fantasy job, and it's cool to see that you're out there doing it for real. Will definitely keep your name in the ol' rolodex, should I ever get my documentary on Basement Dwellers out of pre-pre-production.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »
Adblau1,

If Fredericks asks you to score on of his movies, I'd pass on it.

buffcoat
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
Adblau1,

If Fredericks asks you to score on of his movies, I'd pass on it.

buffcoat

Fredericks you score on his movies,

Will do, Master.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
Thanks, KickTheBobo... the kind words are appreciated!

And I don't think I would ever miss the chance to score a movie by one of the "Notable Residents" of New Port Richey.  I can't let ALL the good scoring gigs go to that "Explosion/Piranha" kid...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »

And I don't think I would ever miss the chance to score a movie by one of the "Notable Residents" of New Port Richey. 
AWWWWW.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Mike A.D.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
Barely-related audio question about music for TV:

What, if any, is a typical broadcast-TV audio compression setup?  1.5:1?  20:1?  Multiband?

Yes, it's a micro-question, but FOTs seem to always know their audio.

I'm involved with a live-band TV program (think local Austin City Limits) and was asked to master the live mix. 
FM Radio usually has heavy downstream compression/limiting, but I have no clue what to expect from a broadcast-TV gain structure. 

I'm just trying to figure out a ballpark estimation.  Anyone? 

Educated guesses, if not hard facts, would be greatly appreciated!   

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Sorry, so -- are you asking because you want to know what to expect down the line, after you master?  Like, are you aiming to pull back on your own compression knowing there will be more once it goes out over the airwaves? 

Assuming this isn't all WAAAAY after the fact, the only major thing I'd watch out for is mono cancellation -- yes, there are some people out there who still have mono TV sets -- make sure it doesn't sound like butt in mono.  Other than that, I'd say make sure it all sounds good & loud, compressed enough that it sounds as all-around loud as a typical pop song.  Radio is a fine comparison to TV airplay, if my own stuff is any indication.

In follow-up self-plugness, a film I wrote music for has just been picked up by IFC Films!  Yahooey!

http://bit.ly/5pXsEs

Hope 2010 is a kickass one for every last FOT!!!!

Adam