Author Topic: The best comedy albums of the decade from the AV Club  (Read 5765 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The best comedy albums of the decade from the AV Club
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
I think it's a solid list. CDR would have been nice. Anything by Gaffigan would have been nice but all in all it's a good list.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:35 AM »
I hadn't heard Mr. Gould do standup before, but I listened to the album on Lala after reading the AV Club article. His delivery reminded me a LOT of Mr. F. Tompkins.

Not for nothing, but Dana has been doing stand-up for almost 30 years.  I think Patton (admittedly) took a lot from him in terms of style, much more so than PFT.  I'd like to second Auntie Christina's enthusiasm.

I agree with everything Omar said above, as well.  CDR has more relistenability than ITU, so that gives CDR the edge for me.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »
Patton's "My Weakness Is Strong" is a late comer, but should be on there in my opinion.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

scratchbomb

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
I hadn't heard Mr. Gould do standup before, but I listened to the album on Lala after reading the AV Club article. His delivery reminded me a LOT of Mr. F. Tompkins.

Not for nothing, but Dana has been doing stand-up for almost 30 years.  I think Patton (admittedly) took a lot from him in terms of style, much more so than PFT.  I'd like to second Auntie Christina's enthusiasm.

I agree with everything Omar said above, as well.  CDR has more relistenability than ITU, so that gives CDR the edge for me.

Anyone remember a show called "Comic Strip Live" from the early 90s? In NY, it used to run on Saturdays at 11pm. They used to have some great comedians on there. Dana Gould was on there all the time. So was Bill Hicks, amazingly.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »

Yeah, he predates the alt.comedy thing, and sometimes gets anointed as the Daddeh of the movement. I"m not sure he totally agrees with that, but the truth is he was doin' it starting I think late late '80s to the mid '90s, and his style is very different from the dude in front of the brick wall with the 10 minute set about airplane food that had sort of killed off the big '80s wave of stand up.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Keith Whitener

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:38 PM »
I'd love to see Dana do an airplane bit!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
I'd love to see Dana do an airplane bit!

Keef, you and me need to do an alternate-universe, Exquisite Corpse alt.comedy version of the Aristocrats: PFT, Zach, Patton, Dana, Demitri, Louis CK, Kindler, Eugene Mirman, etc etc. all doing an airplane bit.

What would we call it? Would someone give us money to do it? I can point a camera at stuff, and you can interview them!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

Anyone remember a show called "Comic Strip Live" from the early 90s? In NY, it used to run on Saturdays at 11pm. They used to have some great comedians on there. Dana Gould was on there all the time. So was Bill Hicks, amazingly.

I believe Mr. Gould's first name is Elliott.

Crack the 1970s much?  I don't think you do.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

Crack a calendar much? I didn't think you did.  Do you?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »

Crack a calendar much? I didn't think you did.  Do you?

It was a joke, Freddie-baby.  Shouldn't you be outside, anyway?  Isn't it doll-burning season?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!