Author Topic: Stewart hitting a little too close to home, Mike?  (Read 4206 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Stewart hitting a little too close to home, Mike?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »
Not at all. Obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about. As you well know, Deadheads are some of the most anal and organized rock fans out there.
See God, Kai

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Not at all. Obviously, he doesn't know what he's talking about. As you well know, Deadheads are some of the most anal and organized rock fans out there.

I"m gonna back Mike up on this ... I knew this guy who liked 3 and only 3 things: computers, jam bands, and baseball. Wanna know what he did? yeah, he made a phish stats website where he had set lists and statistics about each song, etc etc.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
See God, Kai

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »
Most Deadheads I've met have been rich yuppies.  Real hippies listen to better music.

thecramedog

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
Exactly:

http://www.setlists.net/

Ha.  I clicked this link and after a few more clicks, to my delight, I found a description of this GD show in Brooklyn from 1970.  Reg The Veg's long description is okay, but I feel as though gratefuldan sums up Dead fandom best with his one-sentence review at the bottom.

11/11/70
46th Street Rock Palace - Brooklyn, NY

Set 1:
Hard To Handle
Truckin'
Minglewood Blues
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Sugar Magnolia
Candyman
New Orleans
Cumberland Blues
Brokedown Palace
Not Fade Away

Download/Listen to this Show at Archive.org

Comments:

This was possibly one of the weirdest shows I ever saw (but enjoyable nevertheless). It took place on a Weds about 2:30 in the aft (if memory serves). I'd heard it promoted on wnew-fm the day before, so I rounded up at least 10 of my regular deadhead friends and we went to what turned out to be a giant, ornate, old movie palace behind the el in Brooklyn. The theater was basically deserted. We sat in the third row. (I think the band just wanted to rehearse in a big theater(?) because Phil would put down his bass and run around the auditorium, apparently doing sound checks.) Anyway, we were literally half of the audience until a few songs in when a whole group of senior citizens (at least 20) filed in and sat a few rows behind us (not your usual dead crowd!). The 10+ of us noticed them, but didn't know what to make of their presence, so we just carried on as usual (if you know what I mean). Bur for years I wondered what drew them to see the dead? A few years ago, still wondering, I told this story to a dead head who grew up in Brooklyn and he knew the answer. They were from a local senior citizen home and they were on an outing. They had no idea what they were walking into, but the theater had a package deal with the home to get them out and about, and that must have been one of the days they were scheduled to go to that theater to see a movie. They didn't come to see the dead, (but I wonder what they made of them). By the way, the show was pretty good. It must have been because the old folks stayed for the whole thing (or else, weird as it must have been to them, it was better than going back to the home).
-Reg the Veg, regtheveg@mindspring.com

I was being born as they were playing Candyman!!
-gratefuldan (07/29/2008)

http://www.setlists.net/?show_id=0650

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
See, the Dead were pro-all ages before the punks!
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »

Also quite the do-it-youselfers as well.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:26 PM »

Without the Grateful Dead, there would have been no Sex Pistols. In fact, the Pistols played a 25 minute version of 'Dark Star' at their legendary Manchester gig in 1976.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.