Author Topic: Intervention/Hoarders  (Read 20813 times)

Sarah

Re: Intervention/Hoarders
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
Last night's Hoarders featured an 11-year-old named Sam who gets my vote for the Saddest Kid Alive.

Yes.  Crying when the cleaners left.  Poor damaged thing.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
There's a killer rerun of intervention on right now. A complete train wreck. I can't remember if this one has a happy ending, but... wow...
from the land of pleasant living

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
Jackie, the rich weepy wino featured on last night's Intervention, was a bit of a bore. Same goes for Joel, her thieving/gambling nephew.

Is it just me or are well-to-do addicts naturally unsympathetic? It's hard for me to feel for an addict holed up in a beautiful house.

Hoarders was also no fun. Linda, the hoarder constantly berated by her foul-mouthed daughter, was a drag. And nerdy Todd reminded me of Quentin Tarantino if Quentin Tarantino had a penchant for making knives and his own beer.

Watching this now.  I thought the horrible interaction between Joel and Jackie was top notch - think of your favorite non-nuclear relative, now think about you both being addicts and supporting each other's addictions.  Nuts!

In addition, I believe these people are also from North Carolina.  Fascinating to watch the contrast between the suburban rich NCites and the "outside of Knightdale middle of nowhere" poor family (with the guy who was being taken for a ride by the Nigerians).

I know far more people from the first crowd.  This family was pretty typical in their awfulness.  When you read about the weird stuff coming out of the Southern Baptist Convention about the wives submitting to the husbands and boycotting Disney World causa the gays, remember that it's THESE folks behind it, for all their college educations and BMWs, not the poor rednecks.

Just found out they're from the Charlotte suburbs.  That explains a lot, a lot, a lot.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2010, 01:24:33 PM »
I liked Vinnie, the less than dynamic crack addict with Daddy issues featured on last night's Intervention. He seemed like a good guy. Like a guy you knew in high school who just never got his shit together. I wish him well.

I stayed away from Hoarder's for the most part last night. From what I saw, it was boilerplate Hoarders: sad, lonely ladies and their sad kids.
See God, Kai

MikeInManhattan

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »
I liked Vinnie, the less than dynamic crack addict with Daddy issues featured on last night's Intervention. He seemed like a good guy. Like a guy you knew in high school who just never got his shit together. I wish him well.

I stayed away from Hoarder's for the most part last night. From what I saw, it was boilerplate Hoarders: sad, lonely ladies and their sad kids.

I thought the food hoarder Jill from WI was particularly disturbing. The way she rationalized letting containers of yogurt get puffy before throwing them out especially. I cleared out my whole fridge that night. Also, the duct tape holding her fridge door closed was a nice touch.

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »
I'm surprised that this thread dropped to the second page, considering how crazy Hoarders started to get towards (what I'm guessing was) the end of the season. The retired cop with the massive quantity of guns, his incredibly abrasive wife, and their daughter who snapped and ran down the street hitting herself in the head? The last episode almost seemed scripted, what with the dad/husband popping back up at just the right moment to unleash a tidal wave of drama... yeesh. My ladyfriend and I were amazed at how each episode seemed to trump the previous in terms of sheer craziness.

Sarah

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
I reached my voyeuristic limit.  Or, more accurately, I exhausted the show's capacity to inspire me to tidy, and so watching became all about voyeurism, which soon enough sickened me and made me stop tuning in.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
Intervention has been showing repeats for the past few weeks and, of course, they had to show the Allison the Huffer episode yet again last night (c'mon, A & E, can you give that episode a rest? I'm still waiting for the Mike the Rageoholic episode to pop up again). The second repeat had a surprise coda, however. It was the Chris the Gay Alcoholic episode. Right after his partner visited him at the rehab and the two of them were enjoying a beautiful sunset and commenting on how hopeful they were for the future, the update informed us that Chris had committed suicide last August. So, there you go. You just never know what unusual and terrible turns a life may take.
See God, Kai

thecramedog

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »
Off-topic and a cheap shot to be sure, but this looks like an offshoot idea of Horders.  Car Hoarders:

I, too, would like to reunite with the Mike the Rageoholic episode.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Gabe the gambler
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2010, 02:02:22 AM »
Tonight I finally saw the famed Gabe the gambler. This was the first Intervention I heard about -- I think it was Aimee Mann who was talking about Gabe.

Good lord. What a world.

Paydirt!

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2011, 06:35:32 AM »
They just started showing Hoarders on one of the digital channels here in Australia tonight. Which I think inspired a sort of "all the other kids at school are watching it and finally my parents are letting me stay up late to see it" excitement in me. My partner has never heard the Best Show, but has been determined her whole life to only keep the most necessary and meaningful things and gets a bit sad whenever an end table starts getting cluttered, so she got to gasp and cringe for an hour.

It was alright! I may watch it again! Now let me join in your fascinating discussion --

I reached my voyeuristic limit.  Or, more accurately, I exhausted the show's capacity to inspire me to tidy, and so watching became all about voyeurism, which soon enough sickened me and made me stop tuning in.

-- aw, hell. You guys all got burned out already?

Sarah

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:50 AM »
Just me, I think.  Others are still going strong.

dcgut

• Policemans heel
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
A good episode of Intervention was this kid who smoked crack, did coke and hung out in a bar all day but the intervention was for his rage problem. Weird. He threw a bench at his dad.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
Yeah, I believe that's the Mike: The Rageoholic episode. I'm still trying to track that one down. Heard a lot about it. Anyone got a boot they can pass on to me? People are bootlegging Intervention, right?
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Yeah, I believe that's the Mike: The Rageoholic episode. I'm still trying to track that one down. Heard a lot about it. Anyone got a boot they can pass on to me? People are bootlegging Intervention, right?

I quit watching the show because it was "too predictable."

If they'd had more of the Mike: The Rageaholic type episodes, I might have toughed it out.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!