Author Topic: FOT Labs: Musicians, Audio Folks, Spoken Word Types...Telephone Game?  (Read 16271 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: FOT Labs: Musicians, Audio Folks, Spoken Word Types...Telephone Game?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
Fredericks, that's a great foundation to start with! Is that really you playing?

One suggestion: If we are going to use soundcloud to share, can we all use our board names so we know who is posting what.

That's a good idea. I got an idea too: when you've uploaded your iteration, PM the next person on the list.
Please PM him for me ,Clay.  I'll explain later. 

I recommend a time limit.  6 hours and... next!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

KickTheBobo

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:12 AM »
naw, you gotta give folks time to process & respond. some of us are quick turnaround types and others might do multiple drafts, blah blah. you have to respect other people's processes.

maybe an unspoken rule? if you can't work on the piece and have a new revision within 3 days of receiving it, you can "pass" to the next person. you still pick up the game again in the next round.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
naw, you gotta give folks time to process & respond. some of us are quick turnaround types and others might do multiple drafts, blah blah. you have to respect other people's processes.

maybe an unspoken rule? if you can't work on the piece and have a new revision within 3 days of receiving it, you can "pass" to the next person. you still pick up the game again in the next round.

During this time of dfk having to write and grade 8 exams in the next 11 days (a total of 220 4-6 page exams), not to mention computer labs and final projects, this idea is aces.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »
Okay.  I'm still excited though.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
Fredericks, that's a great foundation to start with! Is that really you playing?

One suggestion: If we are going to use soundcloud to share, can we all use our board names so we know who is posting what.

That's a good idea. I got an idea too: when you've uploaded your iteration, PM the next person on the list.
Please PM him for me ,Clay.  I'll explain later. 

I recommend a time limit.  6 hours and... next!

What, did you get your PM privileges revoked? Yikes!

Grote's up next!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 11:54:16 PM »
OK, I just got this and Clay's PM (why can't you PM me, Fredericks?).  Should have something up tomorrow or Monday but if I can't get it together I'll pass to the next person.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
OK, I just got this and Clay's PM (why can't you PM me, Fredericks?).  Should have something up tomorrow or Monday but if I can't get it together I'll pass to the next person.

take your time, Grote. This is a marathon, not a sprint. I'd rather have a mix of some people who try and really work the previous piece, and some that do a free-form instinctual retooling than everyone abiding by certain constraints. Personally, I have become accustomed to rapid-fire meme shit a bit too much and could stand to get my patience back in shape. Hell, there was a time (not too long ago) where I had to actually wait a whole month for the new issue of New Mutants, but when it arrived it was a treat.

Down the line, I think a "lightning round" round type of collab could be fun. Like make it super intense with 20 minutes to turn something around. That is a fun game, but can get stressful very quickly. I'm not sure my fragile Id can rationalize auto-tuning a Dave From Knoxville lecture on numerical analysis over the sounds of breaking glass (dfk_MARKOVChains-breakbeat4.wav) in a span of less than a week. I would need to think on that for awhile.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
(why can't you PM me, Fredericks?).  Should have something up tomorrow or Monday but if I can't get it together I'll pass to the next person.

Down the line, I think a "lightning round" round type of collab could be fun. Like make it super intense with 20 minutes to turn something around. That is a fun game, but can get stressful very quickly. I'm not sure my fragile Id can rationalize auto-tuning a Dave From Knoxville lecture on numerical analysis over the sounds of breaking glass (dfk_MARKOVChains-breakbeat4.wav) in a span of less than a week. I would need to think on that for awhile.

[/quote]

(why can't you PM me, Fredericks?)  I can now!

Down the line, I think a "lightning round" round type of collab could be fun. OKay!

auto-tuning a Dave From Knoxville lecture on numerical analysis over the sounds of breaking glass (dfk_MARKOVChains-breakbeat4.wav) in a span of less than a week.    That I understand. 

How about auto tuning his guitar playing?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »
OK, I did some sub-par late-60s Steve Reich stuff.  Hopefully I didn't ruin it, or if I did, I ruined it in an interesting way.  It's a special treat for everybody who's been requesting a Fredericks From New Port Richey/Slavoj Zizek team-up!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
Don't tell me I killed the game. You can cut the Zizek if you want!  It's the nature of the game!

Also, Fredericks, now that you can PM again, can you PM Dave for me?

KickTheBobo

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
Don't tell me I killed the game. You can cut the Zizek if you want!  It's the nature of the game!

good job, Grote!

That's the whole deal: no matter what the previous person did, you just have to deal with it as best you can. I think after a few rounds of chopping/ pasting/ reverb/ layering you probably wouldn't be able to even distinguish elements from previous iterations. We'll see, though.

The file you uploaded to soundcloud seems to be an .ogg file. Is there any way to replace that with a .wav or .aiff version? I am not sure how certain software deals with editing compressed audio. I know some waveform editors can handle mp3, but not sure about ogg.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »

good job, Grote!

That's the whole deal: no matter what the previous person did, you just have to deal with it as best you can. I think after a few rounds of chopping/ pasting/ reverb/ layering you probably wouldn't be able to even distinguish elements from previous iterations. We'll see, though.

The file you uploaded to soundcloud seems to be an .ogg file. Is there any way to replace that with a .wav or .aiff version? I am not sure how certain software deals with editing compressed audio. I know some waveform editors can handle mp3, but not sure about ogg.

I am going to pass; I have 8 exams to write and grade in the next 10 days.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »

good job, Grote!

I would start at the 2:20 mark and remix from there.  I know, I had my turn. 

Dave can't come out to play today, Grote.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

good job, Grote!

It'd be really super nice if folks could upload the file uncompressed. If it gets compressed over and over it'll sound like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy. You'd think that would sound cool but it really doesn't. :(

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
I tried uploading a .wav file, but it kept failing so many times (it was over 50MB) that I tried mp3, but then that just came up blank.  So I tried Ogg as a last resort.

Gimme a couple days and I'll re-up is as a .wav, and maybe by then DFK will have more time.  If not, we can either jump to the next name on the last or give Fredericks another crack at it, depending on how hard and fast these rules are.  I like Fredericks' idea, but that might be counter to the mutant spirit of the telephone game.