Author Topic: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans  (Read 4413 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
I enjoyed it but wished Herzog would have "turned the hog loose" a little more often (e.g. the iguanas scene and the dancing soul scene). The Eva Mendes and reformed alcoholic dad scenes were a little too dull and conventional for me.
See God, Kai

hugman

Re: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
Yea. I felt like all the best moments were in the trailer.  Except for the scene in the shed about the spoon!

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »
I enjoyed it but wished Herzog would have "turned the hog loose" a little more often (e.g. the iguanas scene and the dancing soul scene). The Eva Mendes and reformed alcoholic dad scenes were a little too dull and conventional for me.

I dunno...
This movie did not even try to get into the nitty gritty like the original Bad Lieutenant did. An iconic scene, like the church-scene in the original did not evolve, the motive of the lieutenant being torn apart was not well executed and too easily resolved and the end was just not satisfying.

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:34:39 PM »
Do you think Xzibit and Herzog spent a lot of down time together, you know like going for fries and milkshakes, that kind of stuff?

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:02 AM »
what a terrible movie
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »
This film is the equivalent of a Kevin Allin feces fling.  An absolute disgrace.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
The weirder scenes were definitlely the stand out scenes.  I also liked Cage's drug store Freak out scene.  I hope Cage does more movies like this and less movies like Knowing.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
The weirder scenes were definitlely the stand out scenes.  I also liked Cage's drug store Freak out scene.  I hope Cage does more movies like this and less movies like Knowing.

well he did some weirdo-flicks at the beginning of his career and then the rock and con air came along
damn you jerry bruckheimer

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »

well he did some weirdo-flicks at the beginning of his career and then the rock and con air came along
damn you jerry bruckheimer

Yeah, trying to make Cage into an hero I think was the start of the problem.  He's more fun in weirder roles.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
This film is the equivalent of a Kevin Allin feces fling.  An absolute disgrace.

I like your certainty.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
All right, this is only tangentially related to "Bad Lieutenant," but it seemed like a good place to post the trailer for this new Nic Cage humdinger...

http://www.filmpigs.com/?p=812

Presumably this is not the Nic Cage Disney flick that was shot at WFMU?

:o

Tedstud

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
Don't know if anybody already posted this but I listened to a funny Werner Herzog interview today on the NPR archive.  I don't care what he talks about, healways makes me laugh and sounds a little crazy.  There is even a little Strozek talk during it.

http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/12/werner-herzog

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
I don't care what he talks about, healways makes me laugh and sounds a little crazy. 

My friend and I regularly quote his immortal line from Encounters At The End Of The World to each other: "I hate the sun - both on my celluloid, and on my skin." Best Herzog quote ever.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
I liked it.  Should I go through the boards and post that in all nineteen Bad Lieutenant threads?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
I really enjoyed the film also but I am certainly willing to cut Herzog (and Cage for that matter) extra slack. If it was made by anyone else, I probably would have left it as mediocre...

That said, I thought Xzibit actually did an excellent job! That alone is pretty crazy, right?

And did anyone notice the random little person walk by Mr. Cage in that one scene? Am I being offensive by thinking that was perhaps a nod to "Even Dwarfs Started Small"?
"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
— Orson Welles