Author Topic: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al  (Read 7241 times)

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 07:16:07 PM »
Weird Al to me in 3rd to 5th grade is the same as Charles Bukowski was to me in 9th to 11th grade.

If Bukowski was alive and didn't already have a drinking problem, this sentence would've driven him to it.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
That level of fame might be ok, but I still think I'd get the creeps.

What the hell are you talking about, Buff?

What level of fame?

You all right, fred?
Yep!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

orangewhip

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
His "polka medleys" were always something I liked.  I was introduced to so many songs through those as a kid. 
"My week beats your year." -- Lou Reed. Liner notes to Metal Machine Music

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »
I recently encountered "Dare To Be Stupid" on YouTube.  It's the best Devo song in a quarter century.

wood and iron

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:24:07 AM »
Weird Al was my first concert at the Bloomsburg State Fair. My aunt took me. It was amazing. Earlier in the day, I saw a lookalike of Weird Al and nearly had a heart attack. I think I was in the fifth grade.

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
His "polka medleys" were always something I liked.  I was introduced to so many songs through those as a kid. 

Discovering "Yoda" turned me into a Kinks fan.

Potentially shameful admission: When Kurt Cobain died, I didn't own any Nirvana CDs, so I listened to "Smells Like Nirvana."

betheboy

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »

Discovering "Yoda" turned me into a Kinks fan.

Potentially shameful admission: When Kurt Cobain died, I didn't own any Nirvana CDs, so I listened to "Smells Like Nirvana."

In retrospect, there was no shame in not owning Nirvana records.

As for Weird Al, I haven't listened to his music but I'm a fan of his anyway because I get the feeling that he sincerely works hard at what he does and does it because he truly loves it, unlike some "serious" musicians. Al's been the best at what he does for 3o years and I hope he lasts 30 more.

Harpsichord

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
I recently encountered "Dare To Be Stupid" on YouTube.  It's the best Devo song in a quarter century.
Yeah, great song-- first heard it in the Transformers movie and I probably like it more than it deserves just because of how ludicrous that whole scene is.

Also, I love when he does this.  A genius way to save the show when there are technical difficulties, I think.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 05:37:24 PM »
As a kid, all I really listened to were my Weird Al cassette tapes. It would be pretty awesome for my childhood comedy obsession to be a part of my modern-day comedy obsession. I think a lot of people dismiss him because a lot of his popular parody songs can be kind of simple one-joke songs, but his original songs are pretty underrated in my opinion. I was just enjoying "The Night Santa Went Crazy" over the holidays and I think it still holds up. And UHF is still one of my favorite movies.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »
As a kid, all I really listened to were my Weird Al cassette tapes. It would be pretty awesome for my childhood comedy obsession to be a part of my modern-day comedy obsession. I think a lot of people dismiss him because a lot of his popular parody songs can be kind of simple one-joke songs, but his original songs are pretty underrated in my opinion. I was just enjoying "The Night Santa Went Crazy" over the holidays and I think it still holds up. And UHF is still one of my favorite movies.

You can't overlook the Weird Al originals. As a kid, I really enjoyed "Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White." I can still remember the lyrics 21 years later.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

You can't overlook the Weird Al originals. As a kid, I really enjoyed "Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White." I can still remember the lyrics 21 years later.

And holy shit - I just read that Even Worse was produced by Rick Derringer and featured him on guitar. That is nuts (and awesome).

scratchbomb

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
I love how we, as a people, have collectively eased up on good ol' Weird Al over the last few decades. I used to think what he did was totally dumb, and now I have no idea why I thought that.

I have no idea why he's received this sort of renaissance, but I'm glad it's happened. Maybe it's because the kids who used to listen to him are now adult comedians. But for a while he was (unfairly) made a comedy punchline a la Gallagher or Carrot Top.

He seems like a great guest whenever I see him/hear him on other shows, so I'm sure he'd bring it for The Best Show.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
But for a while he was (unfairly) made a comedy punchline a la Gallagher or Carrot Top.

Speaking of Gallagher, did anyone read this over at The AV Club?

This one goes to Carrot Top; he turned to lifting to sublimate his rage at being a punchline.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

scratchbomb

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
But for a while he was (unfairly) made a comedy punchline a la Gallagher or Carrot Top.

Speaking of Gallagher, did anyone read this over at The AV Club?

This one goes to Carrot Top; he turned to lifting to sublimate his rage at being a punchline.

I got through about 5 responses before clicking elsewhere. What a bitter, angry dick. "I'm railing against mediocrity!" says the man who became a millionaire smashing food with a wooden mallet.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Would he be a good guest, though?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!