Author Topic: London Calling  (Read 8657 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: London Calling
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpOZey-jfE

The crypt-keeper vocals of present-day Bob are well-suited to this song. "Zombies of Death", indeed.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »
"Death or Glory" has to be one of the five or ten greatest songs ever recorded. Unbelievably good.

Ditto: Rush.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:19 AM »
I could never get into The Clash. For some reason, their stuff reminds of Springsteen (who I don't really like either).

It's been awhile since I've listened to them, and I'm always game to give stuff another chance, especially when it's obviously well-respected like The Clash. Would London Calling be a good starting place for someone seeking entrance into their catalog? Or should I start with the debut?
I'd start with the debut, but don't discount "Give 'em Enough Rope". And don't discount "Police and Thieves" if you get the UK version of the debut (which better than the US version).

"Give 'em Enough Rope" really doesn't get enough love. The first three Clash albums are all incredible albums. "Sandanista" and "Combat Rock" are both very good, but can't quite capture the magic.

Don't forget the mountain of singles they issued. I recommend checking out the Singles boxset if you want to track down some rarities: http://www.amazon.com/Singles-CD-version-Clash/dp/B000HCPU0Q/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1263364288&sr=8-36

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
A couple more things: this is a great Clash coffee table book with lots of great artwork, interviews and photos: http://www.amazon.com/Clash/dp/0446539732/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263496115&sr=8-11

Also, Westway to the World is a fantastic DVD. A lot of the text in the above volume was taken from interviews conducted for this film.

My nominee for best Clash song: Gates of the West.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
Also, Westway to the World is a fantastic DVD.

I agree.

My nominee for best Clash song: Gates of the West.

I agree. That tune beats em all.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

mackro

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
London Calling is great, but it could have been edited down to a single LP masterpiece. Same with Sandinista

So, while I like it, Give 'Em Enough Rope is still the Clash's best.

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
I must politely disagree. London Calling is already a masterpiece. Yes it could be edited down to one LP, but I really think that would do a disservice to the album.

Editing it down to one LP would make it a more focused album. A one LP album could actually be taken in several more focused directions (reggae, straight ahead punk rock, etc.) but I think that would take away from the musical awareness and versatility they display on that album.

The Clash, Give 'Em Enough Rope, and London Calling (as well as the numerous singles and EPs issued during that period) really did make them "The Only Band That Matters". They managed to convert the nihilism present in punk rock and convert it into a more productive political awareness.

After that, inter-band squabbling managed to eliminate and dilute the impact their music had. Sandinista is a flawed masterpiece. The sheer length of the album makes it hard to digest.

Wow, that was some passionate Clash writing. I think I need to go lay down!

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
'London Calling' is one of the few double albums I can think of where every song is great.  I honestly can't think of anything I'd want to cut if I were to trim it down to a single album. 
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

Pat K

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
'London Calling' is one of the few double albums I can think of where every song is great.  I honestly can't think of anything I'd want to cut if I were to trim it down to a single album. 

I've got no problem coming up with songs I'd cut from LC, but still not enough to get it down to a single album.
I'm warning you with peace and love.