Author Topic: Madhouse  (Read 3270 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Madhouse
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:11:42 PM »
When I saw the title, Madhouse, listed in the History Channel's On Demand menu I thought, "Great! A history of mental institutions! Right up my alley!" Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a reality show about modified stock car racers from North Carolina. What's even more surprising: I love it! Much better than that other show supposedly about mad men. Plus, it's got great Southern accents.

http://www.history.com/shows/madhouse
See God, Kai

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Madhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
I feel xtra dorky that the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the jazzy instrumental Prince protoge side band:

But anyway, southern accents!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
The title is terrible. It should really be called Redneck Racing (this way you get the proud to be Redneck crowd AND the snobbish Northerners who want to feel superior about themselves).
See God, Kai

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »
The first thing I thought of was the 1990 comedy starring John Larroquette and Kirstie Alley.

It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
"Great! A history of mental institutions! Right up my alley!"

Speaking of mental institutions... have you ever seen the movie The Ninth Configuration? It reminded me a lot of Shutter Island except that I thought The Ninth Configuration was the superior movie despite being 80's cheesy in parts.

On a side note I originally bought the movie because as I was standing in line at a store it was beside me in a bin and the cover, which depicts an astronaut on the moon planting the American flag in front of Jesus on the cross, caught my eye. I had to see what the hell it was with that title and that cover. Did not disappoint.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Never heard of it before, but I think I would have been equally intrigued by that cover. For the record, I think the only thing I've ever purchased based on its cover only (excluding "fun packs," of course) was the first B-52s album. It came out on the same day as the U.S. release of the first Clash album. Bought both on sale at Crazy Eddie's for $3.99 each. A great day at the record store!
See God, Kai

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
Oh and your description of Madhouse put me in mind of the Canadian show "Crash Addicts" that airs on the Outdoor Life Network up here. Just like Madhouse isn't about mental institutions this show isn't about crashing addicts but it is about Canadian redneck derby racers. Think Errol Morris crossed with Cannonball Run.

Here's some "highlights": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2b6m2m5xuA

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »

Speaking of mental institutions... have you ever seen the movie The Ninth Configuration? It reminded me a lot of Shutter Island except that I thought The Ninth Configuration was the superior movie despite being 80's cheesy in parts.

Ninth Configuration was actually 1979, but close enough I guess. A good flick for sure.

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »

Ninth Configuration was actually 1979, but close enough I guess. A good flick for sure.

Not that it matters but both Wikipedia and IMDB list it as being released in 1980. Since you've seen it I'm sure you know the cheesy part I'm referring to. The scene in the bar was really out of place in that movie.

Wikipedia also had this summary of the movie which I think is quite good: The first half of the film has the predominant tone and style of a comic farce. In the second half, the film becomes darker as it delves deeper into its central issues of human suffering, sacrifice and faith. The film also frequently blurs the line between the sane and the insane.

Sounds like classic Mike Show territory to me. Check it out Mike!