Author Topic: Yes it's another Kevin Smith thread  (Read 4246 times)

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
Yes it's another Kevin Smith thread
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
http://chud.com/articles/articles/23105/1/THE-DEVIN039S-ADVOCATE-KEVIN-SMITH-MAKES-BAD-MOVIES-HATES-CRITICS/Page1.html

Seen this Mike? Care to comment? I find the contrast between Smith admitting he didn't try very hard with his movie and not understanding why critics could possibly not like it fascinating.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Yes it's another Kevin Smith thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
I responded to that on twitter yesterday. I told him that he's giving film critics too much credit for influencing the box office. I don't think film critics make or break movies these days. I suspect some critics who have supported him in the past gave Cop Out bad reviews and he's lashing out.

I'm going to send him this link:

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2010/03/do-movie-critics-matter
See God, Kai

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
I have yet to read the article you just linked but I did see that it's written by Armond White. All I currently know of him comes from this image that I've seen floating around the internet:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1897/armondwhiteisntinsane.jpg

I look forward to reading the article you linked just to find out if he addresses his own, to put it mildly, strange opinions on what's good and what isn't.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
Armond White IS crazier than a shithouse rat.  The movies he likes suck eggs, and the good movies he hates drive him to such a pitch of fury that he accuses critics who like them of being not just brainless but actively corrupt.  He is also completely incomprehensible when trying to explain the reasons for his judgments.

I think Mike is right that critics don't have much impact on ticket sales, but I wouldn't take Armond White's word for it.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Pidgeon

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
You see that kind of thing a lot on sites like 4chan--pretending to dumb yourself down so, god forbid, nobody will accuse you of being a "pretentious hipster."

Anyway, that's just what Armond reminds me of.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1897/armondwhiteisntinsane.jpg

I also think Armond White is retarded, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only person in the world who thinks The Foot Fist Way is awesome and Cache was a pile of garbage.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Pat K

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
Also, that Kevin Smith tirade is hilarious. Those defensive arguments are always the last refuge of the talentless.  

"You REALLY wanna shit in the mouth of a flick that so OBVIOUSLY strived for nothing more than laughs. Was it called "Schindler's Cop Out"? "

As if anyobdy was hating on Cop Out because it wasn't ambitious enough. I don't remember many reviews of Cop Out that unfavorably compared it to Schindler's List or Citizen Kane. I do remember many reviews complaining that it didn't deliver any laughs.  I love it when bad filmmakers and/or people with terrible taste try to compare people who don't like some dumb film to egghead bookworms wearing monocles and top hats.  The whole "hey movies aren't supposed to be homework, they're supposed to be fun for regular folks!" is so lame - as if anybody ever complained about a movie because it was too fun.

Also, his whole "I'm gonna make critics pay" thing is some bullshit , considering how I'm guessing that the last time he actually paid to see a movie "like you would if you saw it next week", the year had the number 19 in it.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
Ebert had an interesting take on criticism in the modern world. It was more so concerning a need for a "at the movies" type show but I think he made some good points for why criticism is important.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/03/see_you_at_the_movies.html

And you're all right, Critics don't equal box office dollars. I'm pretty sure everybody but Kevin Smith (a notorious whiny baby) has known that since the 60s or 70s.
"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
— Orson Welles

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
I'm a fan of his early stuff, but I really wish that he'd stop making every fight public.   
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »
I'm a fan of his early stuff, but I really wish that he'd stop making every fight public.   

Isn't it sad what happens to people when they get super rich and successful?  They live in a different reality.  Kevin Smith thinking people are criticizing his movie for anything other than its lack of humor is a perfect example.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

wood and iron

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
I think Kevin Smith's problem is that he's seeing his core audience starting to wither. His last two movies have had zero to few laughs and even the core group of fans who would generate the solid 30 million box office that would just eek out a profit (before DVD sales, where he usually kills). Apart from Clerks, Chasing Amy, and (slightly) Clerks II, none of his movies have garnered much respect from the critics. He's only now lashing out because his devoted fan base is apparently not so devoted after all.

I will admit here however, I still listen to his podcast and find it genuinely funny when I'm not aghast at just how stupid he is about facts, history, science, the way the world works.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
I will admit here however, I still listen to his podcast and find it genuinely funny when I'm not aghast at just how stupid he is about facts, history, science, the way the world works.

I listened to his podcast for a while, but the overwhelming stupidity of it finally got to me.  Think about how many of his discussions devolve into "what would it take for you to blow your buddy."  If you never noticed, it's a pretty high percentage.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

orangewhip

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »

I listened to his podcast for a while, but the overwhelming stupidity of it finally got to me.  Think about how many of his discussions devolve into "what would it take for you to blow your buddy."  If you never noticed, it's a pretty high percentage.
[/quote]
Bear-y Curious Kevin

The evidence mounts
"My week beats your year." -- Lou Reed. Liner notes to Metal Machine Music

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
Yeah, the gross-out aspects of Smith's humor has very much worn thin for me.  The donkey fucking scene in Clerks II, the last of his movies I've seen, just made me roll my eyes.  Talk about trying too hard to be shocking.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

Pidgeon

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »
I was shocked only because I did not find that scene to be shocking whatsoever.

What's wrong with me?