Author Topic: help thinking of a song  (Read 6324 times)

zonny the nun

• Plantar Fasciitis
help thinking of a song
« on: March 16, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »
I haven't posted here since the new board was installed, but I need some help with some fiction-writing I'm doing and I thought this would be good place to pose my question.

In the scene I'm writing a man is playing acoustic guitar for a young woman and trying to seduce her via this pop song he's playing. What I'm trying to come up with is which song it should be.

I'm looking for something that would be corny and slightly creepy. A well-known song from the 60s or 70s. Should be about how beautiful a girl is, how she makes singer feel. Shouldn't be too horny but somewhat romantic or even poetic.

This should be easy but I can't think of anything suitable. I would love to hear any suggestions even if they don't fit my criteria exactly.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: help thinking of a song
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
How about
Neil Diamond- Girl, you'll be a woman soon

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
Or anything by the infamous Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
August 5, 2003: Tom Unveils The Sleaziest Rocker Of All Time, Bill Cheetah Takes Over The Show, And Jamie Farr Declares Himself A Cyber-Punk.

Tom declares Gary Puckett the sleaziest Rocker Of All Time. There might be some good inspiration in there.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
"Have I the Right" by the Honeycomb.
"You Make Me Feel Good" by the Zombies
"I'll Be Around" by the Spinners

If you want him to moonlight as a Chicago subway musician, the only songs he's allowed to know are "Stand By Me" and that "Don't know much about history..." song.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

Chris in Somerville, Mass.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:30:12 PM »
"I want to make it with you" by Bread

"I'd like to get to know you" by the Association (that has to be the Association, right?)

Dan B

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »
"Be My Fuckin' Whore" - G.G. Allin

jane

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
"I want to make it with you" by Bread

"I'd like to get to know you" by the Association (that has to be the Association, right?)

I think you nailed it Chris, but just thought I'd add "Sha la la la la let's live for today" by the Grassroots

John Junk

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 10:20:13 PM »
"Motel Blues" - Big Star.

I think you just have to drive around and listen to oldies stations a lot until the song "comes to you".

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
60s/70s?  Corny and slightly creepy?  That would have to be "Time of the Season" by the Zombies.  Gives me the heeby-jeebies every time I hear it, but it's so creepy I have to listen and laugh at it.  For example, I actually saw a televised live performance of the song on PBS the other night while channel surfing.  I think it was a fairly recent performance by the reunited Zombies.  They're well into middle age now.  And they were standing up there, singing, "What's your name?  (What's your name?)  Who's your daddy?  (Who's your daddy?)  Is he rich like meee?  Has he taken... any time... to show you what you need to live?  etc. etc."

Creepsville.  Yikes.

zonny the nun

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 06:41:13 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied so far. I knew I was posting this question to the right message board.

Is there a song called "I'd like to get to know you" by the Association? Looking for it I found "Can I Get to Know You Better" by the Turtles, which isn't bad.

I'm leaning towards Jane's suggestion of "Sha la la la la Let's Live for Today" because everyone knows it and because it wraps the let's-do-it message in a pseudo-philosophic meditation. "Time of the Season" is good too, but can that be sung solo?

Jason

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 08:43:20 AM »
How about The First Time Ever I saw Your Face, either the Roberta Flack or Gordon Lightfoot version.

Sarah

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 09:38:01 AM »
How about The First Time Ever I saw Your Face, either the Roberta Flack or Gordon Lightfoot version.
I was going to suggest this one, also.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »
"I'd Like To Get To Know You" is Spanky and Our Gang. Come on, people.
~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 03:00:30 PM »
"Have I the Right" by the Honeycomb.
"You Make Me Feel Good" by the Zombies
"I'll Be Around" by the Spinners

If you want him to moonlight as a Chicago subway musician, the only songs he's allowed to know are "Stand By Me" and that "Don't know much about history..." song.

~EmD

What el station are you on. Holy crap have i heard those songs at Washington Street about 50000000000000000000000000000000000000 times.