Author Topic: Treme  (Read 34933 times)

Paul DePhiladelphia

Re: Treme
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
If the character had been established as deeply, desperately depressed, it would have sat better with me. 

Yeah the fact that the show jumps around so much makes it hard to have deep emotions for these characters. Like anyone could think he went home on Mardi Gras because he had a tummy ache. The only character I really feel for is Khandi Alexander's because she is a great actress. And like him or not, it's hard to deny Steve Zahn's talents in physical comedy. Everyone knows a guy like Davis. I love it.

Scofflaw

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
Seriously, this great thread about Treme was sitting here this whole goddamn time while I basically had no one to break it down with. I am going to have to get on this new youtube thingy and rant my balls off about having missed out on it. I really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the show. FOT community is the truth, bruh!
My views (so I can feel like I at least retroactively participated in this)
-I found myself so captivated by Wendell Pierce's character.
-Clarke Peters is a god
-It's not the Wire, but I understand that it will never escape being compared to one of the top shows of all time
-Does anyone else want Joanie Stubbs to ditch Zahn and hookup with Jacques?
-I LOVE when people say bruh, not sure why.
-Still kicking myself for missing the "real time" version of this thread

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
If the character had been established as deeply, desperately depressed, it would have sat better with me. 

Yeah the fact that the show jumps around so much makes it hard to have deep emotions for these characters. Like anyone could think he went home on Mardi Gras because he had a tummy ache. The only character I really feel for is Khandi Alexander's because she is a great actress. And like him or not, it's hard to deny Steve Zahn's talents in physical comedy. Everyone knows a guy like Davis. I love it.

In retrospect there were some hints he was experiencing serious depression, but apparently he was hiding it really well, as people sometimes do (aside from the porch episode, which could be dismissed as 'he's just having a rough time', which it was).

On a similar note the scuzzy guy nobody likes appears to have post traumatic stress disorder from the time he spent rescuing people during and after the hurricane. Not saying that makes everything cool, but it is more hinted at than put out there in a more obvious way, so mostly I have been thinking 'wow, what an unpleasant loser this guy is'.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »

On a similar note the scuzzy guy nobody likes appears to have post traumatic stress disorder from the time he spent rescuing people during and after the hurricane. Not saying that makes everything cool, but it is more hinted at than put out there in a more obvious way, so mostly I have been thinking 'wow, what an unpleasant loser this guy is'.

Thanks for pointing this out. It would explain his reluctance to accept the thanks from that man at the bar. At first I thought he was just bullshitting about rescuing people.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »

Thanks for pointing this out. It would explain his reluctance to accept the thanks from that man at the bar. At first I thought he was just bullshitting about rescuing people.

That's what I'd thought too. The first or second episode kind of made it seem like he was making it up.

I'm really surprised they got rid of Creighton so soon. Especially since the whole character was based on a guy who didn't commit suicide.

Sarah

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
In retrospect there were some hints he was experiencing serious depression, but apparently he was hiding it really well, as people sometimes do (aside from the porch episode, which could be dismissed as 'he's just having a rough time', which it was).

Yes, we know he had been on sabbatical and done not one thing during the year, to the frustration of his wife.  And certainly being blocked can throw a writer into hell.  Add to the Katrina and its aftermath, and who knows?  Still, I think the role was mostly written to present us with someone who knew how to take pleasure in life, and that doesn't jibe with suicide.  It would have been different if he'd done it on a sudden impulse, but instead he spends hours savoring life before the deed.  That doesn't ring true to me, although I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.  Creighton was a self-important fellow, who in many ways seemed to act his life as well as live it, and I guess maybe someone like that might approach and ultimately commit suicide as a kind of grand final performance.  But I don't think the writing communicated that effectively enough to make his decision seem in character.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »
It would have been different if he'd done it on a sudden impulse, but instead he spends hours savoring life before the deed. 

Yeah it was almost as if he was doing nothing but proving that all his favorite things about the city were still pleasures to be had and yet he still goes through with it.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
It was cool to see Alan Toussaint and Lloyd Price together, but I don't see myself going back to this when it starts up again. There aren't many characters with any charisma in it and one of them is gone. I have all the closure I'm going to need.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
I thought the last thirty minutes were masterful. Hit way too close to home though reminding me of the four evacuations I was a part of between 04 and 08 where a 2 hour trip took nearly 12.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »
It was cool to see Alan Toussaint and Lloyd Price together

Was there any greasy funk to be had?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
Kind of mad that not once during the whole season did i hear Rockin' Sidney's  My Toot Toot.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2010, 02:43:41 AM »
I'm still finding Treme pretty interesting. It's not an intense show, but I'm drawn into most of the characters even if they aren't that exciting. Anybody could have made a show about NO and just cherry picked the extremes but Simon seems to have chosen to make it as real as possible even if that is a slow moving story that probably isn't going to create big moments. I'm cool with that but it's probably not going to last more than two seasons.

The only complaint I have is how much screen time the Mardi Gras Indians get. It's definitely interesting but I don't know about 1/3 of the plot line interesting.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »
I am in the crowd scene when the gospel choir is singing at the Parthenon. Look for me!

Dave i spotted you!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2010/07/heres_looking_at_you_nashville.html

citizenlewis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
the abundance of unlikeable characters may make it difficult (high on my list after the first episode: Steve Zahn's obnoxious dj, .

Every time he starts to talk I want to smash my TV.  Luckily I can fast forward all of his scenes with Tivo as well as all the bad acting by the musicians doing cameos.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2010, 02:35:43 AM »
Snubbed again!