Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33438 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Treme
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »
I was looking forward to this for the New Orleans locales and the music, but the abundance of unlikeable characters may make it difficult (high on my list after the first episode: Steve Zahn's obnoxious dj, and the self-righteous lady lawyer who's married to John Goodman's character, who, I'm happy to report, has a touch of Walter Sobchak in him).
See God, Kai

Barry Egan

Re: Treme
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
She didn't strike me as self-righteous; just righteous.  Given what her character was actually doing in that episode, I don't see how you find her unlikeable.  (And how sweet she was with her daughter?  Come on.)

The Jimmy McNulty/Davis McAlary comparisons will no doubt be made, and I look forward to following this new affable Irish fuck-up who will probably get laid in every episode. Steve Zahn is hilarious! "I will have satisfaction."

The Walter Sobchak/Creighton Bernette comparison is also valid, but that's just what Goodman sounds like when he yells about the government, I guess.  

Khandi Alexander, Wendell Pierce, and Clarke Peters all killed it, the "Buona Sera" montage made me cry, and the first appearance of the Mardi Gras Chief was amazing. (Does anyone else find themselves wanting to own a furry tambourine?)

I'm just so happy there's a new top-tier drama for Mike to crap on.  SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
I thought it was decent. My favorite was the Kermit/Elvis scene. I think Steve Zahn's character is supposed to be irritating and he's doing it well. I wanted to punch him during the Elvis Costello scene.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
Give it some time. The Wire took a while for me to get into... I always like to give HBO shows at least 3 or 4 episodes before I pass judgment. Certainly not on the first episode... they always overdo it on the characters in the beginning. You need the plots to get going before you can really tell what the show will be like.
from the land of pleasant living

Pidgeon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »
I've been trying to get past the first episode of The Wire for like half a decade now.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Well bravo to you for that.

Pidgeon

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
Hey, just making conversation.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:38 AM »
I thought the first episode was pretty great the only gripe i had was the opening theme music wasn't that great. They would have done better with that simple little piece that played during the previews for the show.  I'm interested to see what Steve Zahn's beef with his neighbors is, and i agree with the other person Kermit's scene was my favorite and he looks like he's going to be a great character.  I thought Goodman was pretty awesome in the first episode too, its good to see him  back on a tv show. They really pulled off presenting New Orleans as a really cool place despite the circumstances.

I hadn't heard a Mystical song in a long time and i forgot about that part in the song were he says "I like my women fire like cayenne"!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
HBO just ordered a second season of Treme because they support Art.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »
Besides the great music featured in the show like the opening sequence with the band marching down the street, I've already heard some great background music used. I hope Prince La La gets some play on this show, by Steve Zhan's character or just in the background.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
I'm disappointed this thread is not called "TremeTremeTremeTreme".

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
What's the deal with David Simon and all the Budweiser product placement? I noticed it in The Wire, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a private deal on the side keepin him supplied with suds for the rest of his life.
See God, Kai

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »
Yeah and besides... in Baltimore BOH is king, not BUD.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »
What's the deal with David Simon and all the Budweiser product placement? I noticed it in The Wire, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a private deal on the side keepin him supplied with suds for the rest of his life.

Kind of reminds me of how David Milch admitted he created Deadwood as a means to score free long johns. 

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »

Kind of reminds me of how David Milch admitted he created Deadwood as a means to score free long johns. 

I think hes made an exclusive deal with Kangol too.