Author Topic: Al Jaffe, the Mad Fold In Guy on 7 Second Delay!  (Read 2432 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Al Jaffe, the Mad Fold In Guy on 7 Second Delay!
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/SD
This was a fun show, but it was quite an honor to be in the same room as the legendary Al Jaffe, the inventor of the Mad Magazine Fold In and also Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.
He had some great stories about his early days at Mad.
Regarding his Fold In, it was brought up to publisher William Gaines that it would damage the magazine. Gaines said great, it'll make the kids buy a second issue.
Al Jaffe gave one of his Snappy Answers (which he said turned a whole generation into wiseasses)
Here it goes "At the scene of an accident a passerby asks, Have an accident"
No thanks I already have one."

Andy, who usually doesn't care much about the guests was in awe of Al Jaffe. He tried to explain to his daughter how that man was responsible for how her dad turned out.

As a kid I had been a big collector of Mad. I looked forward to every issue so this was a real thrill for me.

Also featured were Mallory Hagan, Miss Brooklyn 2010, journalist David Hajdu on the demonization of comic strip, and musician and cartoonist Jeffrey Lewis.

Subbing for Ken was Andy's daughter Julie.

Julie and Andy with the legend Al Jaffe.

Al Jaffe with wife(?) in audience.

Julie and Andy interview Miss Brooklyn (who happens to be from Alabama).

Jeffrey Lewis

To see the entire album go here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=167096&id=560743400&l=793c7272d2

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Al Jaffe, the Mad Fold In Guy on 7 Second Delay!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:07 PM »
I was nervous if Andy would pull it off on his own but he did a great job. It was a sweet moment when Julie said "Thanks for making my dad funny."
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »
Sounds like a good time and I am looking forward to hearing the show tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Side note: Jeffrey Lewis and his band stayed at my house a couple years ago after opening for the Mountain Goats in Eugene, OR. How did that happen? Just chatting with them at the merch table and they mentioned they didn't have a place to crash that night. They were fantastic house guests and are welcome to crash with us any time. WOULD PUT UP AGAIN A++++++
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Pat K

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »
I just saw Jeffery Lewis do a solo set a few weeks ago. What a great performer - he is really something else.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Martin

• Space Champion!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:51:04 AM »
Who's the girl and wheres Ken?

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
Ken wasn't there. The girl is Andy's daughter, Julie.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:26:39 AM »
I really wish time and physics could have been bent to allow for 10x as much Jeffrey Lewis.