Author Topic: Monopoly: The Movie  (Read 3811 times)

samir

• Space Champion!
Monopoly: The Movie
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:32:33 AM »
I wish I had been making that shit up.

"Monopoly is still the most popular board game -- I might be misquoting! -- in the world. So it's really finding the universe for that game. Because clearly it ought to be humorous and for the family -- the funny way it brings out, particularly when your uncle suddenly gets Park Lane and -- in England, we have Park Lane, Mayfair and Barclay Square, what's it in America? Park and Madison? So you watch people change. You're witness to Jekyll and Hyde. Somewhere in that is a hysterically amusing and I think rather exciting film."

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/08/06/ridley-scott-talks-monopoly-movie/

The Hasbro-Universal collaboration "Monopoly" is jumping a large number of spaces up the board.

The feature project has brought on Pamela Pettler to write the screenplay; She penned Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride," Gil Kenan's "Monster House" and the upcoming animated adventure "9," produced by Burton and Timur Bekmambetov.

And Ridley Scott, who has been attached as a producer on "Monopoly" and has been mentioned as a possible director, is now officially attached to helm the project, with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic "Blade Runner."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ie9098baec9eb95cd0d7bac3726b6ce9e
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Monopoly: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
It writes itself!

wait

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »
I can't wait to see that thimble in IMAX. 

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
Bad things are going to go down in those Baltic Avenue scenes. 

When they go to jail, do you think it will be anything like OZ?

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »
And Ridley Scott, who has been attached as a producer on "Monopoly" and has been mentioned as a possible director, is now officially attached to helm the project, with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen killer replicants along the lines of his iconic "Blade Runner."

Fixed.

Seriously, though, if they don’t put in something in this movie about a character winning 2nd prize in a beauty contest and winning $10, they will be missing a huge opportunity for laffs.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
Someone more attractive and more articulate than me is also dismayed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2008/nov/21/ridley-scott

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »
You have a thing for Hyde, eh? (Not judging.)

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
GIVE ME BACK MY TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Maybe it's another Jumangi-esque movie where two kids have to compete in high-stakes real estate once they start playing a board game with a life all it's own. One kid loses his soul, while the other rediscovers his. It ends with one kid riding his bike to a slum to paint fences in the the neighborhood he was evicting tenants left and right in.

The other shares a cell with Rafaello Follieri.

Jason

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
Marina Hyde was partially responsible for the Guardian's Weekend magazine becoming unreadable.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 07:46:08 PM »

Mister Monopoly?
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »

Mister Monopoly?

I nominate Sam Elliot's mustache, for at least part of this movie.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Update! [Cinematical]

First up is Ridley Scott's Monopoly, which is probably the strangest in the bunch because you wouldn't necessarily pair the macho director with a film about real estate. It gets stranger, though, because the movie isn't just Jumanji with land transfer taxes. Instead, Goldner tells MTV, "The whole world is about the financial markets...Pamela Pettler who's writing this great script about real people kind of playing a real-life game of 'Monopoly,' not the board game, although they're icons of the game. And then you really get the idea why this story could make sense right now." ... And I don't think I'm alone in saying that would be the first thing that does make sense since the film was announced.

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/articles/ridley-scott-uh-opens-his-community-chest-and-reve,40478/

"Monopoly: The Movie is being pitched as a comedy that will look at the “bloodbath” and “bad behavior” in the real estate market that led to the current economic crisis."