Author Topic: Dublin Core  (Read 3179 times)

padthaikai

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Dublin Core
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »
As a library school student ("information studies" gets too many blank looks when I mention it) I both support and cringe at the mention of Dublin Core on the Best Show.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 06:48:30 AM »
As a LIS graduate and library employee, I mostly just cringed at the mention. Maybe because as a public library employee there's been not a whisper of Dublin Core by any of my associates in the year I've been working?

Apatche

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »
I too am an LIS grad and librarian and cringed mightily at Laurie's comment. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Incidentally, does anyone else who doesn't live anywhere near WFMU get a little thrill when some obscure thing about their hometown is mentioned? I'm thinking specifically about when Brian from Columbus (where I'm also from) was called a Columba-dummy by PBR, who also name-checked Stache's and Little Brothers.

That was a funny call, though in PBR's defense the caller was kind of a dummy.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

folksnake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
I, too work at a library--for 29 years now--and have never heard anyone mention Dublin Core. Course, I work on the bookmobile, which is sort of the U-Boat of the library system, and we don't tend to hang with anyone who might mention it. Which works for me.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
Course, I work on the bookmobile, which is sort of the U-Boat of the library system ...

Just when you think a thread's played out ... you gotta say what this is all about. Is Jurgen Prochnow your boss?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

folksnake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
The comparison is a bit dated now, but still applicable...when I started out, the administration hated the thought that we were out there doing our thing, and they weren't able to stand over us to make sure we were doing our thing. They were always suspicious that we were simply parked under a tree somewhere, reading.

The same thing was true of submarines when they first came along--Admirals hated that they couldn't control them better, that once they left port, they were gone. So in general, we bookmobilers stand apart from the rest of the library...and miss out on cool stuff like Dublin Core  :)

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
They were always suspicious that we were simply parked under a tree somewhere, reading.

Pbbbt. I used to be a book buyer and now am w/a publisher, and when people hear what I do, they'll often go "oh, how fun! You get to sit around and read all day!" Yeah. Oh, if you only knew.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »
I've heard Dublin Core mentioned in Semantic Web/RDF contexts, but that RDF book was so tedious my attention wandered off to other things.