Author Topic: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)  (Read 14423 times)

Sarah

Re: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Poking around the Bravo site yesterday, I discovered "After the Knife," a series of videos made in the limbo to which ousted contestants are consigned to serve out penance until the competition is complete.  I had no idea that they all had to hang around like this, and I look forward to the future shenanigans of the failed.

I was also pleased to learn, reading Colicchio's blog, that the judges were properly horrified by the terrible tomatoes that so many contestants chose to serve up during the picnic challenge.  I noticed them while watching the show and was surprised that no one mentioned them.  It comforts me to know that they did not go uncriticized.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
I discovered "After the Knife",
Take it to the Anti-Christ thread.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »
"This show has derailed. A "tournament" in which the "winners" are eliminated and don't advance to the next round? And the pair who was sent home arguably made a better dinner dish than people who were awful in the first round but miraculously turned things around to be spared? So the doofuses who couldn't get hollandaise or a biscuit plated are more worthy of surviving another week than the dude who won last week's challenge? Utter bullshit. And I still don't like anyone -- I also barely know half the field. Why does it feel like there are 27 contestants?" - IsoS on the AST Forum.

What a terrible show this has become.  Work of Art remains a delight.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Sarah

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
Agreed.  The elimination challenge was backward.  Although it did make for more suspense than usual come judges' table, when it was clear that no matter who was sent home really wouldn't deserve it. 

Also, baby food for the quickfire?

I definitely enjoyed watching Work of Art more, though I thought everything in last night's episode was pretty awful.  Of course, it doesn't help that I'm so filled with loathing for Jaclyn that I can't trust my response to her work (I thought last night's offering was fairly hackneyed).

In other news, I watched an absolutely charming episode of Chopped yesterday.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »

In other news, I watched an absolutely charming episode of Chopped yesterday.

Which installment?  Did someone attack Scott Conant with raw onions?

Sarah

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »
No, no.  I was being sincere.  It was the one with a Japanese American Christian who cooked for a retreat in the Adirondacks, a twice-homeless Jamaican (I think, though he may have been from Trinidad) who had arisen from the ashes of his former life to cook in Michelin-starred kitchens, a jolly lady with silly hair who kept screwing up but still made some decent food, and a slightly more sour but still okay veteran who used to work and play with Bourdain back in the cocaine days.  All the contestants were good-natured and supportive to one another, the judges (among whom Alex Guarnaschelli did not number--another plus) got more and more excited because the food was good, and the fellow who won (the Jamaican or Trinidadian) made consistently praised dishes (the two complaints were too many prunes in one dish and a slightly runny pudding--and only one judge thought that).  Even the desserts were successful.  Both of them.  Scott Conant (who is such a snooty turd I would like to feed him raw red onions night and day except I wouldn't want to spend that much time with him) was actually smiling and full of kind words!  It was a Chopped miracle!

Speaking of Conant, this new Restaurant in Twenty-Four Hours (or whatever it's called) looks like it could be a hoot.  Or a horror.  Or both.

Barry Egan

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
I'm rooting for Tamesha, though Lynn would be fine, I guess
Angelo and the bald guy are repugnant, and might just challenge Hosea's title of douchiest contestant of any season.   

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
No, no.  I was being sincere.  It was the one with a Japanese American Christian who cooked for a retreat in the Adirondacks, a twice-homeless Jamaican (I think, though he may have been from Trinidad) who had arisen from the ashes of his former life to cook in Michelin-starred kitchens, a jolly lady with silly hair who kept screwing up but still made some decent food, and a slightly more sour but still okay veteran who used to work and play with Bourdain back in the cocaine days.  All the contestants were good-natured and supportive to one another, the judges (among whom Alex Guarnaschelli did not number--another plus) got more and more excited because the food was good, and the fellow who won (the Jamaican or Trinidadian) made consistently praised dishes (the two complaints were too many prunes in one dish and a slightly runny pudding--and only one judge thought that).  Even the desserts were successful.  Both of them.  Scott Conant (who is such a snooty turd I would like to feed him raw red onions night and day except I wouldn't want to spend that much time with him) was actually smiling and full of kind words!  It was a Chopped miracle!

Speaking of Conant, this new Restaurant in Twenty-Four Hours (or whatever it's called) looks like it could be a hoot.  Or a horror.  Or both.

That is indeed a great episode.  Guarnaschelli is a creep.  The only Chopped judge I consistently like is Aaron Sanchez. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
Isos' comments are spot on. This show is losing me. Caught up with Work of Art - like it a lot.

Sarah

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:01 AM »
The only Chopped judge I consistently like is Aaron Sanchez.

Yes.  He plainly really wants people to do well but doesn't hesitate to criticize--kindly--when necessary.

Sarah

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
Another crap episode.  At the seven-minute mark, I thought Kevin was for it, but then it became clear he was getting the redemption edit.  Then, at thirty-two minutes past the hour, when Timothy announced he was just going to serve his cubes of vegetables, I was certain he would get the boot.  What on earth possessed him?  I mean, he's been pretty awful from the start, but that was some dumb choice.

I was astonished at the simplicity of most of the dishes, given the contestants had three hours to cook.  A salad?  A vegetable soup?  Jesum.

Didn't see the point of the conceit that they were all working for the same team.  Maybe it was to see whether they'd be capable of constructing a harmonious menu without direction?  If that was the challenge, they sure didn't rise to it.  It was painful watching all the wrangling during the planning, in particular the head-butting between Angelo and Kenny (I think no one should be allowed to call himself an "alpha male").  I suppose Bravo's producers thought the wrangling made for entertaining TV. 

I was most impressed with Kelly this round.  I don't like her manner, but she did competent work, stood up for herself, and gave some decent advice here and there. 

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:02 AM »
Kelly has clearly emerged as the favorite.  My pre-season pick to win continues to be a complete doofus.  I think the pressure of the show has rattled him beyond ... ripert.  He seems completely out of his element.

Kenny is a cretin.  Angelo is strange, but I like him as a character in a reality TV show, much like I enjoy Ms. Santos on Work of Art.   

Due to the chilly weather, I don't think there's anything wrong with a vegetable soup as a lead-in course within the context of the larger, family-style meal.  What's odd is that, as is often the case, the judges (or at least what we're shown) will focus on one aspect of the dish, and there is never any mention of the overall taste of the dish.  For example, are we to assume that if Amanda cut her carrots a bit smaller, it would have been a successful soup?  Who knows.  In his new blog post, Colicchio praises Amanda (and Stephen) for sticking with their "strong vision" while Tim presented a "non-dish."

Hard to argue with Ripert, but I don't think a "minestrone" absolutely requires pasta, although it's certainly traditional.  I guess his main point was that she should have just called it "vegetable soup."  The judges tend to get annoyed by misnamed dishes, even the successful ones like Casey's so-called "coq au vin" in season 3.

Sarah

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
The Chopped judges are being very fussy on this score as well.  I guess it's the latest talking point laid down by the powers-that-be.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Amanda making a soup, by the way.  I'm just amazed it took her three hours to do it. 

What makes you say Kenny is a cretin?  He seems no more stupid than most of them. 

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »

What makes you say Kenny is a cretin?  He seems no more stupid than most of them.

Truth be told, I just like referring to people as cretins.  In this case, it was a hyperbolic approach to expressing that I am not a big fan of BLACK LIGHTNING.  Now that I think about it, his robe-clad wine sipping was a fun image.  In general, he exudes a 'tude I don't care for. 

Sarah

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
In that case, agreed on all fronts (although I find him slightly less objectionable than Angelo--who, however, is more entertaining).  I was merely puzzled by "cretin."