Author Topic: PIL at Music Hall Of Williamsburg 5/19/2010 + on Judge Judy  (Read 1691 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Public Image Limited played in Brooklyn tonight. They were awesome. That 3 piece band played tight and loud and were the perfect backup for the legend Johnny Rotten.
PIL opened with "This is Not a Love Song" and that was about it for the hits.
Instead they played deep cuts from the first few albums.
Rotten was in great form and did a magnificent job on song like Flowers of Romance and Religion (which gave me chills).
I haven't seen PIL in about 20 years ( in 89 they toured with Big Audio Dynamite) and they were as powerful as ever.
At one point Johnny admonishes a jerk in the crowd for spitting on him.
He said "You spit on your enemies. I am not your enemy. Never was.
Save it for Sarah Palin."

Johnny Rotten is my hero. I love that man. Long may he run.

To see all the photos go here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=173581&id=560743400&l=41012b40e3

I thought I would include this amazing clip of Johnny on Judge Judy just for fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2CnwYPhcQk[/youtube]

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: PIL at Music Hall Of Williamsburg 5/19/2010 + on Judge Judy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »
I saw them the previous night at Terminal 5 in Manhattan. "Spellbinding" is the word.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
HB, did you hear Lydon on Nardwar's show? It was great. Here is the link for those who missed it.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the photos, HB!  I am a big PIL fan.  Saw them many times back on the "Happy" and "9" tours.   "Metal Box" is one of my favorite albums ever.

I feel like John Lydon has created a fool-proof persona for himself, where every money-grubbing move he makes fits in perfectly rather than tainting it.  These acts are no more of a sell-out than "Never Mind the Bullocks."
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:26 AM »
By the way, if any of yins are wondering what you missed, and I would say you missed quite a lot, there's audio of a full show from the tour available for download--free, legal, & everything--from NPR.  Go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126561683 or to the iTunes store and search for the NPR "All Songs Considered" podcast, which also has an episode with a loquacious Johnny playing DJ.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
Lydon's interview with Nardwuar was pretty great too, he sounded sort of like a school teacher repremanding an overenthusiastic student, but seemed genuinely quite charmed by Nard.